Radiator Guards, need better protection....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Radiator Guards, need better protection....

Who makes good Radiator Guards for the 2009 KLX250..?

Did a gnarly rock ride yesterday, and my buddie took a hit to his radiator on his DRZ400 and got me thinking of getting guards for mine since we will be riding this often. Lucky that one of the guys had some quick set JB Weld, and was enough to get him out and back to truck. It was on the last leg of the ride, so no big deal. I've had radiator guards on my list, but haven't looked into them yet. Yeah, whatever it was, branch or rock, it busted through his stock plastic guard which is exactly like our KLX ones, and put a hole in the core section. Not enough protection. Looking for great protection with good venting, of course....

Thanks guys.....

Old 09-26-2016, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a set of these (and their skid plate). Very solid.

Kawasaki KLX250 Radiator Guard | Emperor Racing

Old 09-26-2016, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I have this one Kawasaki 09-15 KLX250S/SF Rad Guards ? Unabiker works as advertised competitively priced were not the easiest to put on.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had the Unabiker for a number of years.
They interfere a little bit with the Acerbis tank, but can be trimmed to work.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, yeah, I have the IMS 3gal tank, so they should fit. I looked around today, and kinda liking the Unabiker guards so far. Prolly won't order for a week or two when I have the funds.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the unabiker guards and the IMS tank. No interference with the tank but my left-side rad guard is more forward than the right-side. Not sure if my radiators are a little out of alignment or if they are all like this, but at first my left rad guard touched the front fender as it swung past. I adjusted the guard as much as i could and now i have about 1/8" of clearance. Just enough to not touch. They were pretty easy to install and I'm happy with them.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Emporer racing, (formerly scorpion racing). Canadian company. I have their guards and bash plate because IMO they were the nicest on the market. Love them!

Old 09-27-2016, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the Emporer Racing and Unabiker guards look pretty close. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one. My bike funds are in my PayPal account, so I'd end up getting what's available on ebay and whatever has lower price. Prolly not riding the next 2 weeks due to prior plans. So I still have some time. I'm going to replace the hoses while I'm at it. There are a ton of different rad hose kits for the KLX, silicone, in different colors. Does anyone here have aftermarket silicone hoses on their bike? What brand (GPI, Worley, etc.), and are they good quality? They range in price from $22 to $80ish a set, with same specs on hose. My bike has original hoses from 2009 with 8,000 plus miles. Just to on the safe side. I've seen many hoses fail on other's bikes.

I gotta say, for you guys that ride very remote areas, that Quick Set JB Weld saved us. 40 minute total downtime on the trail, it held up for the hour we needed to get back. May be a good idea to carry in your pack....

Last edited by Werloc; 09-27-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Unabiker are a better design. Triangulated back to the tank mounts and solid bars top and bottom.
http://www.unabiker.com/collections/...cts/kklx09250s
http://shopusa.emperorracing.com/p/k...250_2011?pp=24

Last edited by 2veedubs; 09-28-2016 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the scorpion (emporer) skid plate and rad guards. Look good and they have done their job.

One thing I added is a fine steel mesh (like mosquito netting) over the front of the rad guards to stop the finer crap from reaching the rad. Works very well

Last edited by Dash8; 09-28-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Radiator Guards, need better protection....