Questions on my new 06 KLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Questions on my new 06 KLX

I just got an 06 KLX, paid $1400 for it. 35k miles, but i think it was still a good deal. Id like all new plastics and lights for it. I saw in Mustangs large thread that the new KX450 front fenders will fit the 06. What else will? is nearly all of the KX plastic interchangeable? or what about the new KLX plastics, does anything up to 2012 (or whenever they sold them in the US till) fit? Mustang also said that the klx450r headlight fit after great modification. What would fit easier? i just want the current square light gone. thanks!

Old 02-18-2016, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Jeesh. IDK. I have the same bike, just got it a few months ago. I know you can get new replacement plastic from various sources. And new sticker kits too. Have you considered getting that Acerbis tank that's bigger (the radiator shrouds hold fuel too)?

Old 02-18-2016, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I have seen that tank. Although it does solve the issue of tank size and plastics in one, i really dont like the look of it. I am going to get a Clarke eventually. I believe that most front fenders will fit, have you found any aftermarket rear fenders that fit?

Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I don't like the look of it either.

My rear fender is ok for now. I'm low budget so putting any money into engine goodies first. That said, I have seen people just cutting up the stock fender here (I live on Kauai) to make it look a little more modern.

You thinking about replacing the instrument cluster with one of those Trail Tech ones? That will probably be my first "toy" to add to the bike.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I have seen the trailtechs. I may get one eventually considering they are not too expensive. Looking to start with a new front fender, which is cheap, and radiator shrouds, which arent too cheap. cant find them for less than 80. im going to do plastics first then lights/blinkers, and maybe finish it off with a new seat and tank (The expensive stuff).

Old 02-18-2016, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Maier plastics KLX300 MX fender will fit, but needs to have a tail light set up fitted to it.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, will any other 300 parts fit? such as radiator plastics?

Old 02-19-2016, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by twitzel94
I have seen the trailtechs. I may get one eventually considering they are not too expensive. Looking to start with a new front fender, which is cheap, and radiator shrouds, which arent too cheap. cant find them for less than 80. im going to do plastics first then lights/blinkers, and maybe finish it off with a new seat and tank (The expensive stuff).
Pics now! Then we can all compare and drool over the new.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

To my knowledge there are no aftermarket shrouds or side panels that will fit, and plastics from other models--including post '07 KLX's--will likewise not fit your bike. Your choices are live with what you have, buy new or hope to find used ones, but finding used plastics for this vintage bike is difficult.

Adding a different shape/size headlight will take some major fab work, but there are good LED alternatives that are plug-n-play. A quick search here will point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

If you look at my avatar you can see what a 450 headlight looks like, and if you serch my older posts you can see how I installed it , it was easy.

Quick Reply: Questions on my new 06 KLX