Question about replacing broken gear change shaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:36 AM
Default Question about replacing broken gear change shaft

The shaft that my shifter atteches to recently snapped right where the shifter goes around it after a light crash. Has anyone replaced this peice and if so do you have any tips? I have already ordered a new shaft but in wondering if there is anything else I should be ordering in order to replace it. It seems like it should be pretty straight forward but some people are saying I will have to remove the shaft from the right hand side of the bike and I would have to remove the clutch cover and that I should get a new gasket or somthing. Others have said on the KLX its really easy to replace the shaft and that it comes out and goes in on the left side easily. Really appreciate any help I can get in this. Unfortunately the part is backordered on all my go-to websites so my estimated shipping date is the 26th and I have been planning for months on attending a big 2 day ride with a bunch of other supermoto guys on the 29th so I'm really trying to figure everything I need as soon as possible.

Thanks dudes.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:03 AM
1st Gear Member

It's a pretty easy job-everything is accessible from the left side. If the gasket doesn't rip when taking it apart you should be able to use it again. Make sure that you transfer all of the springs to the new shaft and be sure that the collar that centers the pawl on the shaft is seated or the cover won't fit flush...if the cover doesn't want to seat against the gasket then that collar probably isn't in place. You WILL break the cover if you try to cinch it down with the bolts so be sure it's right.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Relatively easy to replace. I've done it around four times now (twice for broken shift shaft, once for broken shift star, once on another bike - that I "borrowed" the shift shaft from). For what it's worth, the shift shaft is the same for any KLX250R, KLX300R, or KLX250S from 1993 to current; usually plenty of used ones on ebay.
If your bike is a 2009, you should look at your shift star and replace it if it's the weak design; see the thread stickied at the top of this forum.
Also, can you tell us if you have an aftermarket shift lever - especially the MSR steel XR650L version? I can say without any doubt that my broken shift shafts were due to having a far too stiff aftermarket shift lever on the bike. It has happened with others also

Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I should add, at least one of the bolts on the shift mechanism cover is slighly blocked by the frame. A wobble extension makes it much easier to get a socket on it.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I realize my comment will not help MeanGreenMachine in any way but... If anyone is keeping stats, +1 for breaking this shaft with the MSR xr650L lever!

I am back to the stock lever and have just gotten used to the shorter length.

For those who purchased the xr650L shift lever because of the extra 3/4" length, the stock Honda part is an option and the used one I bought on ebay looks as weak and flexible as the stock Kawi part!