Problems after EFI BB331 install

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Problems after EFI BB331 install

If you caught my other thread, all went well with the install. But now having some issues.

Took her for about a 75 mile break in ride yesterday. Put the battery on the tender to make sure it was fully charged. Here's the issues:

1 - Runs pretty hot. With the extra cc's I figured it would be hotter but seems way too hot. The overheating light never came on, but it's cooler here now. The 250 had little heat in this weather. Anyway, when it got dark I noticed the head pipe was glowing red where it meets the engine. It's never done that before. How much more heat did yours have after your install?

2 - Won't start without giving it a little throttle. It turns over fine. Even will catch and hit 1000 or so RPM...then die. Once it starts it won't die. Though it does seem like it's chasing idle a bit.

Both these seem to indicate a lean condition, right? But pulled the plug and it had a bit of carbon flakes on it. Rich? Hmmm...I did see mention of a rich engine putting unburnt fuel into the head pipe which then gets burned off there causing the pipe to glow. I'm confused to say the least!

3. If I hit the clutch at a higher RPM it sometimes dies.

4. This is the big one: with the EJK, for the Green idle setting, anything below 7 and it runs like crap. (Lurching, hesitating, misfire I believe) 7.5 or 8 runs even better. Yellow is around 6 or higher.

Once I'm in third gear it runs fine. Just the lower speeds it acts up.

So I'm basically maxing out the controller. That can't be right. I only have a kdx200 snorkel and fmf Q4 with a quiet tip which restricts it some. Foam filter. If I add a freer flowing head pipe and remove the quiet tip...I won't be able to add more fuel to make up for the extra air.

I've taken the bike apart so many times looking for anything and can only think of two things: the EJK isn't programmed correctly for the 331 or the fuel injector is clogged.

The symptoms for a clogged injector make sense. Something certainly could have gotten into one of the hoses during the build. I tried pulling the ejector but couldn't get the screw off stripped the damn thing!

For those with the 331, what are your Green and Yellow numbers?

Thanks and sorry for being so long winded!

Old 02-11-2016, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Only time my engine was very hot & the header pipe was glowing was when I drove my bike back from my mechanics shop to home about 15kms after fitting 331 kit, using a unprogrammed juice box (for 250) running on highest everything settings (juice box was/is made by EJK) which wasn't enough. Bike was hard to start, bad idle, lumpy low revs, hunting mid range & running OKish high revs but no where near full power that it has now & really hot from being very lean! Bike should now start with the slightest touch of the button hot or cold, impressive boost of torque & go alot faster!

Have you seen this EJK tutorial? EJK Controller Unit Functionality

Have you contacted Graham Gower? He is the captain of a yacht in the Seychelles so give him a chance to answer your message, should he be off shore. He is the most knowledgeable person on EJK's on this forum.

Last edited by JoelThailand; 02-12-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine's an 06 so it had carb everything else was stock. Didn't have to adjust the carb at all after the 331 install it runs perfect.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
Only time my engine was very hot & the header pipe was glowing was when I drove my bike back from my mechanics shop to home about 15kms after fitting 331 kit, using a unprogrammed juice box (for 250) running on highest everything settings (juice box was/is made by EJK) which wasn't enough. Bike was hard to start, bad idle, lumpy low revs, hunting mid range & running OKish high revs but no where near full power that it has now & really hot from being very lean! Bike should now start with the slightest touch of the button hot or cold, impressive boost of torque & go alot faster!
Wow, that really kind of sounds like what I'm experiencing now with my settings maxed out. Im thinking more and more they sent the wrong unit or wrong programming. I'm talking with Dobeck now, but not sure how much they can do without actually inspecting the controller.

Have you seen this EJK tutorial? EJK Controller Unit Functionality
Thanks, yeah I've read it. I had an EJK when the bike was a 250 for about 6 months or so. It took all of one 20 min ride to get it dialed in. That's one reason I'm suspecting the EJK as the culprit. But I admit I could be wrong; I'm no expert.

Have you contacted Graham Gower? He is the captain of a yacht in the Seychelles so give him a chance to answer your message, should he be off shore. He is the most knowledgeable person on EJK's on this forum.
Maybe I'll try sending him a PM in a couple days if he doesn't see this post. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe if you have time take your bike to MOT test station or a bike or car tuning shop that has an exhaust gas analyzer & get a basic 02 reading for your air fuel ratio. I got my bike running at around 13.3 at idle, 13.2 low rpm, 13.1 at high rpm & 12.9 at 10k+ rpm. From the factory due to emission laws they run at about 14.2afr which is a tad lean for good power. 15+ will be running very hot indeed.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe if you have time take your bike to MOT test station or a bike or car tuning shop that has an exhaust gas analyzer & get a basic 02 reading for your air fuel ratio. I got my bike running at around 13.3 at idle, 13.2 low rpm, 13.1 at high rpm & 12.9 at 10k+ rpm. From the factory due to emission laws they run at about 14.2afr which is a tad lean for good power. 15+ will be running very hot indeed.
Oh heck yeah, that's a great idea! A lot of scooter shops here have the government emissions testing machine. Must be one of those would get the job done. Thanks for thinking of that.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Been talking with ejk. They're thinking they didn't program it to put out enough fuel. Asked me to send it back. I had time today to take the bike out to the mountains to test the lean theory. Maxed out the controller and headed up. I'm at about 30 meters (100 ft) above sea level. Rode the bike up to about 1400 meters (4600 ft) and WOW did it come to life! No heat problem and man did it have power. Coming back down it ran decently until I got under 100 meters. Then started losing power.

I didn't realize that much altitude change could make such a difference. Guess it's starved of fuel.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

The first 1000 ft must make a big difference.
I'm at 3300 and run up to 12000 without too much issues.