pre-load and sag basics

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default pre-load and sag basics

i know these have been covered elsewhere, in part etc., but i'm just not grasping the basics i guess....

adjusting: both pre-load and sag are adjusted via the silver "nuts" at the top of the spring, right? i see reference to a "spanner wrench" being the appropriate tool for the job... also a hammer and punch. i've got a hammer and punch - ok to use for adjusting up and down?

setting: i think i've got the measurements figured out. just wondering though how sensitive the adjustments are. is this something that once tampered with are you always thinking about (obsessive type?)or is it a soon forgotten adjustment?

Last edited by klx-vn; 09-18-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

First, make sure you have the right spring weight for your weight. Trying to compensate for a heavy rider on a light spring (or visa versa) will not help.

To make the adjustment easier, put the bike on a stand to get the weight off of the back wheel. There are two "nuts". Be sure to loosen the one that is furthest from the spring (the locking nut) first. And yes, this is a do it and forget it adjustment.

Rider on
Brewster

Old 09-18-2015, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ok, so if my spring is exactly spot-on for my weight then preload/sag should be set with the nuts exactly 1/2way on the shock threads, right? if i need to adjust much from thread-center then that means i've got the wrong spring?

Old 09-18-2015, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx-vn
ok, so if my spring is exactly spot-on for my weight then preload/sag should be set with the nuts exactly 1/2way on the shock threads, right? if i need to adjust much from thread-center then that means i've got the wrong spring?
VERY WRONG!
Set your sag to 1/3 of full wheel travel. That's the difference between full extension (wheel off the ground) and compressed with you on the bike in your riding position.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 09-18-2015, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Look in the FAQ's for some good info on setting suspension SAG.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...q-links-30733/

Old 09-18-2015, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Also keep in mind that 1/3 wheel travel is a guide. It doesn't have to be exactly that. There is some leeway in either direction, based on use, bike and rider style. Start there and make adjustments based on what works for you.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

There are no external or internal preload adjusters on the KLX250s fork. The only way to alter the preload would be to add a spacer which would increase ride height and preload.

The rear shock has a preload adjuster.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
VERY WRONG!
Set your sag to 1/3 of full wheel travel. That's the difference between full extension (wheel off the ground) and compressed with you on the bike in your riding position.

Ride on
Brewster
This bike comes setup for a 150lb rider right? At least that's what "they say" from what I've read here. The preload/sag nuts are set 1/2way on the threads (last time I looked at new bikes in a dealership). So if the spring that was spec'd for my weight is correct I should have proper sag measurements with the nuts 1/2way also.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
Also keep in mind that 1/3 wheel travel is a guide. It doesn't have to be exactly that. There is some leeway in either direction, based on use, bike and rider style. Start there and make adjustments based on what works for you.
I get how the compression and rebound play into all this. Really surprised at how a few clicks changes the feel of the bike. I haven't played around with the sag/preload yet. What response do you notice "in the leeway"? Significant feel ... subtle changes. Does it alter the feel of the CD/RD settings?

Old 09-19-2015, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx-vn
This bike comes setup for a 150lb rider right? At least that's what "they say" from what I've read here. The preload/sag nuts are set 1/2way on the threads (last time I looked at new bikes in a dealership). So if the spring that was spec'd for my weight is correct I should have proper sag measurements with the nuts 1/2way also.
Wrong again. The relative position of the adjuster nuts on the rear shock is irrelevant. The position of these nuts can be anywhere on the shock threads when it is properly adjusted.

Factors affecting this adjustment include: strength of spring, length of spring, weight of rider, desired amount of sag.

Measuring the amount of threads above or below the nuts means nothing.

Check further on this site for proper sag adjustment.

Quick Reply: pre-load and sag basics