Power loss on highway, motor won't turn forward

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Power loss on highway, motor won't turn forward

Hello! New to the forum and will make the proper intro post shortly.

I just finished the transamerica trail along with a few side trails, 6200 miles in total, on my 2009 klx 250s and got a few miles out of port orford, Oregon when I had a complete power loss (digital display stayed on, motor shut off). I coasted to the shoulder and tried to start again but the starter motor couldn't turn over the engine. I shut the bike off and removed the small covers and tried to manually turn the motor with a socket wrench. It turns backwards (I only tried a quarter of a rotation) but will not turn forwards (I did not want to force it) I had oil albeit a little low. The bike is a an all stock 2009 klx250s with the addition of a krieger cam chain tensioner, which I love! Prior to this it was running poorly, requiring a bump start and having a lag on the throttle returning to idle, unsure if this is related. Any help on how to approach this would be great!

Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Update:after manually rotating the motor backwards 1/4 rotation, I can spin the motor Forward freely. Compression "feels" normal throughout the rotation, but I am hesitant to try starting the bike in case I bent a valve stem etc. What would you advise as step one here? Checking valve clearances and visually inspecting cam chain, cams, valves, etc? The bike is getting a ride in a van to Denver where I should have a garage to work in for a few days! Any advice would be great.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have "normal" compression feel, it's not likely that you bent a valve. But, I would check valve clearances as a precaution. Another area that the KLX300s had a problem with is the idler gear in the kick starter circuit. The bushing that the idler gear rides on wears prematurely and then the gear hits the clutch cage. I don't know if the newer KLX250s have the idler gear.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 08-12-2016, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Big clearance = bent valve. Let's hope not.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds electronic to me, have the battery tested?
Remove plug & check for spark & if the starter will turn over without plug.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone, battery is tested and good and spark appears strong. The sound when I pressed the starter was as if the starter motor was unable to physically turn the motor.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

How can you test the spark when you can't turn the engine over?

Old 08-15-2016, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I do not know why but i get the feeling off either

A: A part of your cam chain slider is broken and got caught on your cam chain

B: piston ring might have taken damage (got loose when turned backwards)

C: you may have a bad crank bearing

do not put to much weight on what i am writhing since it is just a gut feeling from what i am reading

Old 08-16-2016, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it was Dan888 that had a broken casting in the side case that kept his starter from working. Might be worth pulling the cover...
Found it...
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...e-cases-39378/

Old 08-17-2016, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, that idler starter bushing is a problem, I got mine before it ruined the case. But if your not using the starter, the engine will turn over.
Since he said it died while running, I don't think that is his problem. Now he could have 2 things happen at once, but that doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it can be confusing.

Quick Reply: Power loss on highway, motor won't turn forward