post mod carb question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default post mod carb question

So I`ve done some mods including a Moose jet kit. Got things working well but I have this slight....and I do mean slight bog or hesitation at around 1/4 throttle as I roll towards 1/3 or so. If I roll smoothly from a coast to wot it`s most noticeable.

Here`s the work I`ve done:

Cam Mod on stock 250s
Moose jet kit, 132 main
Clip 4 down (runs smoother after 1/4 throttle to WOT)
Krieger Chain tensioner (love the quietness!)
Stock pilot jet
Airbox lid off
Stock air filter
stock exhaust

Question 1: The needle comes with 2 shims. If I move the clip up to the second position, the shims prevent the clip from being installed. If I remove the shim (s) doesnt that defeat the purpose of moving the clip?

Question 2: since the bike pulls really well after 1/4 throttle is this a pilot jet issue? If I crank on the throttle anywhere below 4k rpm it really bogs.

I`v gotta tell you this is a completely different bike. Less shifting up hills and just an all around better bike now!

Kawi dealer has only 1 pilot.....stock

Old 06-01-2014, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Have you adjusted the pilot screw?
Another possibility is that one of the feet on the white plastic cage above the needle is blocking the vacuum hole in the slide.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 06-01-2014, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Kawi only has one pilot listed, but others work. Check pilot jet sizes for the KLX300. Search here:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...q-links-30733/

I thought the little washers in the jet kit were not shims, but rather went on top of the needle to help keep it from lifting and floating around in the white plastic needle holder.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR

I thought the little washers in the jet kit were not shims, but rather went on top of the needle to help keep it from lifting and floating around in the white plastic needle holder.
This ^

Old 06-02-2014, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes that's what the shims are for but if I raise the clip there's no room for the shims....or at least they are at the maximum.
I've played with the pilot from 1 turn to 3.5 and no difference.
Ill have to look for a bigger pilot I think.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Jets r us will have the larger pilot but I don't think that's your issue as most folks run the stocker in stage 2 config. without issue. I know I did until it was time for the big bore but I will admit that I never did the cam mod either.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
Jets r us will have the larger pilot but I don't think that's your issue as most folks run the stocker in stage 2 config. without issue. I know I did until it was time for the big bore but I will admit that I never did the cam mod either.
Ya in not in a hurry for the pilot ....still might be a float level issue. Truth is, there's not much point in riding it in those lower rpm's anyways...it's just telling me that it's not set up 100%.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

how many turns did you set the pilot jet at as a baseline ? did you tune the pilot circuit while the bike was running ?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

In so cal the conditions are such that the stock pilot jet is way to small. Here at sea level I had a 40 pilot fuel air screw 1 1/4 turns out before going to the fcr35 carb

Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
how many turns did you set the pilot jet at as a baseline ? did you tune the pilot circuit while the bike was running ?
I'm at 1000 feet ASL. The pilot screw is now at 3 turns out. I started at 1.5 turns. And yes....played with it running and warmed up. There's no noticeable difference.

Quick Reply: post mod carb question