Plastic Repair - Solved?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Plastic Repair - Solved?

Just completed a repair of my radiator shroud after crashing into a tree, and it seems to have healed better than my cracked rib. The shroud was cracked halfway across its width and bent up pretty badly. I first used a heat gun to soften it just enough to get it back into shape. They I used some JB Weld two part epoxy that is specifically for plastic (I happened to find it at WalMart) to glue the crack back together. I glued it one section at a time and braced/clamped it until the epoxy set up. With a smaller crack it could all be done at once, but I could not get it to line up along the entire length at once. Once it was dry I glued a small block of plastic across the crack in several spots along the back just to add some rigidity. The epoxy seems to have adhered very well and I can flex the piece pretty good with my hands. Hoping for the best because my next option was a plastic welder from Harbor Freight; will let you all know how it holds up over time.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Pics?

Old 10-29-2015, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Pix would be nice, before and after. I repaired a cracked up fairing on my 95 vf750cd by drilling out the ends of the cracks then welding it up using a soldering iron and a cheap plastic clip board for filler material.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

What about the plastic for snow ski's? I remember back in my skiing days, filling deep gouges in the bottoms from rocks with melted plastic. Then belt sanding to smooth and groove to hold the wax. Maybe get a stick and give it a try. Melts with a torch, or maybe a high temp heat gun. Just thinking out loud here.

Last edited by Werloc; 10-29-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't know if you searched here on KF but I posted this 7 years ago https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...lastics-26911/ In the end melting / welding the plastic does not hold up to impacts. JB weld was not flexible enough to absorb impacts. The only thing the worked for me was the zip tie and sticker the $hit out it method I ended up getting a good set of shrouds for most of the time and put the stickered shrouds on if i was heading out to bounce off of trees.

Good luck , Dan

Old 11-02-2015, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I used a new JB Weld product that is specifically for bonding plastics. At least I assume it is new because I had never seen it until recently. Only time will tell, but the repair flexes well with my hands so we will see how it holds up on the trail.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I haven't heard of that JB either. Hope it holds up, keep us updated.
Thanks, Dan

Old 11-03-2015, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Saw few used shroud at a spare part shop here in Sri lanka (around 4 pairs i think japan made). If any of you guys in need of shrouds let me know i can check on them, price range is around $60 - $80 most of the plastics are black and might have to polish them up.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I wonder if using a 'mesh' on the back side would help keep it from cracking again. You know, like a fiberglass mesh (like the mesh drywall tape), with JB weld on/through it? Or, even fiberglass mesh and resin on the back?

Old 11-04-2015, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Reinforcing the plastic that doesn't stick to the other plastic should make no functional difference (in the positive), and possibly make it worse.

Quick Reply: Plastic Repair - Solved?