Ordered IMS tank......

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ordered IMS tank......

It's almost here!! Woohoo...

Do I need any special stuff to install this? New gaskets? Sealant ? Anything special that I should get before getting into this?

Not expecting it to be hard, just want to be prepared...

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Nope, easy 2 hr job. I did need to open the holes on the side covers in order to fit the nuts molded into the ims tank. Make sure you rinse it twice before using it. Mine had some plastic bits and dust inside.

Originally Posted by Dash8
It's almost here!! Woohoo...

Do I need any special stuff to install this? New gaskets? Sealant ? Anything special that I should get before getting into this?

Not expecting it to be hard, just want to be prepared...

Thanks!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I had to remove the rubber mounts that the stock tank sits on.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! Was just wondering if petcock had to be reseal ed, etc...Glad to hear I already have everything I need!

Old 02-29-2016, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Last year my IMS required a shim at the rear mount to make all the holes line up. Also the hole for the petcock was not fully open, so I had to "ream" the hole larger for the fuel tube to easily clear. Rather than drill it out and cause debris to clean out, I opened the hole with a 1/4" rod heated enough to melt the hole larger.

Getting all the mounting holes to line up was difficult, but just last week I took the tank off to work on the carb and was no trouble at all to remount. The bolt must have settled in.

No other problems. Love the tank. Good luck.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

As others have mentioned getting the mounting holes to line up was a bit of a pain, but with patience it can be done. Also, don't over tighten the bolts, the nuts in the tank tend to get stripped out rather easily.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

What year is your bike? My petcock is mounted on the frame not the tank. Tank only has hose nipples for the fuel lines to the petcock. Just unscrew those nipples from old tank, install new O rings that come with the tank. That's it. I had no fitment issues with my shrouds fitting or the holes lining up. I got lucky twice I guess. Had a black IMS then sold it for the natural colored one. No issues with either.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
What year is your bike? My petcock is mounted on the frame not the tank. Tank only has hose nipples for the fuel lines to the petcock. Just unscrew those nipples from old tank, install new O rings that come with the tank. That's it. I had no fitment issues with my shrouds fitting or the holes lining up. I got lucky twice I guess. Had a black IMS then sold it for the natural colored one. No issues with either.
Lol I stand correct, petcock is monted to frame. Brain farted there!

I'm hoping there's no having to fark around with it, not for the 320$ cdn it cost me!!

Old 03-01-2016, 10:18 AM
1st Gear Member

As others have said it can be a bit of a pain to get everything to line up. Take your time and remember its plastic don't force it. Werloc your just a bit more "persuasive'" than the rest of us

Old 03-01-2016, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
Lol I stand correct, petcock is monted to frame. Brain farted there!

I'm hoping there's no having to fark around with it, not for the 320$ cdn it cost me!!
LOL, Yeah, I'm the same way. My brain farts a lot.

I can see where the top bolts near the gas cap on the shrouds may not line up perfect. Mine didn't at first. So I loosened the side bottom tank mount bolts and really pushed down on the tank as I retightened them lowering the tank into the frame as much as possible. After that, the shroud holes lined up perfectly. That's why I had no issues. Sometimes you gotta take a step back, look and think about what's wrong, and what you need to do to correct it.

Please post pics when it's mounted up. Also, like said above, rinse out the tank before installing it. Mine had small plastic pieces in it as well. Looked like drill shavings from when the bottom holes were drilled

Last edited by Werloc; 03-01-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Ordered IMS tank......