OPT-7 LED Headlamp Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default OPT-7 LED Headlamp Upgrade

Good afternoon, fellow KLXers!

I have been dissatisfied with the headlamp on my 2009 KLX250S since I bought it. At night, visibility is borderline, at best. After a long time of looking at HID kits, replacement lamp assemblies, etc., I finally came upon a solution that works. I found the OPT-7 LED motorcycle headlamp bulb that is essentially a plug-in replacement for the stock headlamp bulb. I found it for about $50 at NewEgg on sale. I think the regular price is $60.

Replacing the stock headlamp bulb with this one took me about 45 minutes--most of which was spent taking off and replacing the front fender and faceplate. This bulb is completely waterproof and dustproof, and LEDs require good ventilation, so the company recommends that you do not replace the rubber boot that is over the current bulb.

The bulb has a built-in fan and controller. The fan powers up when you turn the key to the ON position before you start the bike. The light comes on to instant full brightness at this time, too. When you install the bulb, the controller tucks away nicely, as it is rather small. This was a very, very easy upgrade. Warranty is 2 years.

Wow, what a difference in night visibility! I have posted some pictures with the stock lamp, and then the next evening (at the same time of night) with the low beams and high beams. The pictures don't really do it justice, but you can clearly see the difference. I've had several people ask me about the light and where I got it--they say it is very bright and love the coverage. The light is pure white and illuminates the road and street signs like I have never seen before.

If you decide to go with the upgrade, I think you will find it is well worth it.

Attached Thumbnails OPT-7 LED Headlamp Upgrade-stockhalogen.jpg   OPT-7 LED Headlamp Upgrade-lowbeamled.jpg   OPT-7 LED Headlamp Upgrade-highbeamled.jpg  
Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I did the same mod to my NC700X with similar results.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stirfry300

I have been dissatisfied with the headlamp on my 2009 KLX250S since I bought it. At night, visibility is borderline, at best. After a long time of looking at HID kits, replacement lamp assemblies, etc., I finally came upon a solution that works. I found the OPT-7 LED motorcycle headlamp bulb that is essentially a plug-in replacement for the stock headlamp bulb. I found it for about $50 at NewEgg on sale. I think the regular price is $60.

Replacing the stock headlamp bulb with this one took me about 45 minutes--most of which was spent taking off and replacing the front fender and faceplate. This bulb is completely waterproof and dustproof, and LEDs require good ventilation, so the company recommends that you do not replace the rubber boot that is over the current bulb.

The bulb has a built-in fan and controller. The fan powers up when you turn the key to the ON position before you start the bike. The light comes on to instant full brightness at this time, too. When you install the bulb, the controller tucks away nicely, as it is rather small. This was a very, very easy upgrade. Warranty is 2 years.

Wow, what a difference in night visibility! I have posted some pictures with the stock lamp, and then the next evening (at the same time of night) with the low beams and high beams. The pictures don't really do it justice, but you can clearly see the difference. I've had several people ask me about the light and where I got it--they say it is very bright and love the coverage. The light is pure white and illuminates the road and street signs like I have never seen before.

If you decide to go with the upgrade, I think you will find it is well worth it.
Well worth the upgrade to LED's. I bought some add-on LED lights (6X5w floods and 5X5W spots) for less than $30 total. Of course, it's not 'integrated' like upgrading the headlight to LED. I had a bad connection at one point, and this video shows the LED's going off while I was on a narrow bridge in the woods at night, so you can see the difference the LED's make.
(lights go off about 1/2 way through the short video, then come back on right near the end.)

Old 08-25-2015, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Stirfry,
Nice report and thanks. Looking at them now.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I put on a set of these light from an Ebay seller. They work great and are only $33 bucks for a pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360681577736?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Attached Thumbnails OPT-7 LED Headlamp Upgrade-669468268_o.jpg  

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 08-25-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stirfry300

There's a few different ones listed. Just wondering which one you got? I know you dudn't get on ebay, but is it this one?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=141652871515

There different wattage bulbs listed. Your looks great. Big improvement for sure.

Thanks....

Last edited by Werloc; 08-25-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
There's a few different ones listed. Just wondering which one you got? I know you dudn't get on ebay, but is it this one?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=141652871515

There different wattage bulbs listed. Your looks great. Big improvement for sure.

Thanks....
That's the one.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool, Thanks man.......

Old 08-31-2015, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I did this upgrade over the weekend. I purchased the replacement bulb from eBay.

I did it mainly because it has a lower wattage and to a lesser extent that it's brighter. I run heated gear when it gets cold, and with the 351 kit I like to preserve amps in case the bike shuts down in difficult conditions. Twice, deep in the woods in really terrible New England conditions I killed the battery from cranking the engine. You're never so far away from a paved road as when it's cold, muddy and you're standing next to a dead bike.

I mounted the harness in such a way that I can easily disconnect the light for trail riding. I may wind up wiring in a switch that can just kill the headlight remotely.

The light came quickly, the product looks quality, the light is bright, the install took minutes.

My only problem with the whole thing is that because it uses a cooling fan it may not be the greatest thing off road. If the whole bike goes in the drink during a stream crossing that could fill up with mud.

Because of this I may move the lamp to a street bike, but for now it stays on the KLX.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I installed the OPT-7 LED and yes its plug and play. Works great and much brighter. Do be careful taking the stock bulb out of the housing as you wire tension holder can be tricky if you don't pay attention

Quick Reply: OPT-7 LED Headlamp Upgrade