Oil is very thin - Like water almost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Oil is very thin - Like water almost?

So I did my oil change today after 1,000 KM (changed it because it was cheap oil, motomaster high mileage 5w-30) and I realized, he oil was sill a nice brown colour, but it was so thin you'd think it was water. I smelled like gas a bit, not much though. Looked for metal fragments (with a magnet) and none to be found.

Any reason this could happen? No antifreeze was lost so it can't be the head gasket.

Could it be because my FMF Megabom weld broke 100 KM in the woods so I had to ride it with a cracked weld..

Thanks. I know switched my oil for Shell Rotella Diesel oil.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

5W-30 is pretty thin to begin with.

barring it hasn't been in any big puddles and actually has water in it, it's probably just thin oil. Especially so if it was warm after a ride or something.

errr, switched to diesel oil?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
5W-30 is pretty thin to begin with.

barring it hasn't been in any big puddles and actually has water in it, it's probably just thin oil. Especially so if it was warm after a ride or something.

Ok thanks! And yes, diesel oil. Apprently it's much better than normal oil, can't tell you more than that. My fathers sbeen using it in all his bikes since he was young with always good results, I trust his word specially that he's a heavy machinery mechanic. Although I don't have any facts about it, i'll just take his word.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
according to people much cleverer than I, it is good to use in motorcylce engines. Ive been using it in all of mine for last 15yrs or so........

Old 07-10-2015, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by griffo1962
according to people much cleverer than I, it is good to use in motorcylce engines. Ive been using it in all of mine for last 15yrs or so........
ditto, except the 15 years part. Five for me. Even Wiki has a sentence about how motorcycle owners use it.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Gotta love the oil threads.. 5w30 better be thin when cool..It's designed to perform like 5w oil when it's cool/cold - 30w oil when warm/hot...

Water in yer oyl produces a milky solution..

OOOO, lets talk about friction modifiers and synthetic molecules and film strengths.. Or not..

Old 07-11-2015, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Gotta love the oil threads.. 5w30 better be thin when cool..It's designed to perform like 5w oil when it's cool/cold - 30w oil when warm/hot...

Water in yer oyl produces a milky solution..

OOOO, lets talk about friction modifiers and synthetic molecules and film strengths.. Or not..
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start an oil thread fight xD Was just making sure because the I put the same oil but Castrol usually and it doesn't get out that thin!

Old 07-11-2015, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daren1093251
I smelled like gas a bit.
Diluted with fuel from a rich condition

Old 07-11-2015, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Take the used oil and put it in a tall vessel and mark with a line the level. If there is a significant gas in the oil, after a week the gas will evaporate and the level will be lower by the amount of gas in the oil.
Oil can smell like gas where there is a very low level of gas in the oil. Maybe you warmed up a cold engine to drain the oil, the choke caused the oil to smell of gas.
If you have gas in the oil, you have a big problem, and using 'castrol' is not going to fix that.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Oil in the gas is usually not a big problem

Quick Reply: Oil is very thin - Like water almost?