Oil "pan" repair for this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy Oil "pan" repair for this bike?

My crankcase is cracked where the oil drain bolt goes in (it was overtorqued after a leaky helicoil repair).

Since it's not a proper oil pan, it's not easily pulled out/replaced.
I'd have to replace entire crank case I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).

And unfortunately, buying an entire crank case is pretty expensive.

Still not sure exactly what it looks like on the inside - can't "read" the parts diagram well enough to determine which piece oil drain is in, or if it consists of multiple pieces.

When I google this issue, the consensus seems to be that best permanent solution is to replace the part, or get a welder to weld it.

Would someone even weld this with it still being attached to motorcycle?
What type of shop should I try? Machine shop? I've called a few businesses around here and unfortunately their numbers are disconnected, or they do not do any welding work (like the local Kawi dealer)

The cheap-o solution would be to sand and prep it really well and JB-Weld it, but I would worry about it not being a permanent or safe enough fix.

EDIT - Anyone tried alumiweld + propane torch? That seems like something I could figure out how to do.
http://www.alumiweld.com/

Last edited by Zeno; 07-31-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Having it welded will require it being taken apart anyway. Not just engine off the bike, but cases split, cleaned, and dried of all oil. Then the cost of the repair. That being said, your better off just getting new or used cases. Keep in mind, a repair like this may hurt your resale value down the road, if that matters to you. So even in the end, you'll be loosing the same. Of course, this is my opinion being in the motorcycle industry for 30+ years.

Anyother option, depending on how bad it is, epoxy like PC-7, etc., my work. But, to do it right so it holds, your still looking at splitting cases, cleaning and drying of oil. Another option is, buying a used tranny, and parting yours out and selling what you can to recoop some funds.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Why couldn't you just drill it out larger and put a plumbing plug in it?
It would be a lot easier if it works than splitting the cases.
Other option would be just to seal it up the best way you can, then just syphon the oil out the fill hole when you change the oil. Not the best, but it would work.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
Having it welded will require it being taken apart anyway. Not just engine off the bike, but cases split, cleaned, and dried of all oil. Then the cost of the repair. That being said, your better off just getting new or used cases. Keep in mind, a repair like this may hurt your resale value down the road, if that matters to you. So even in the end, you'll be loosing the same. Of course, this is my opinion being in the motorcycle industry for 30+ years.

Another option, depending on how bad it is, epoxy like PC-7, etc., my work. But, to do it right so it holds, your still looking at splitting cases, cleaning and drying of oil. Another option is, buying a used tranny, and parting yours out and selling what you can to recoop some funds.
New ones are $500

I've been looking for used one but no luck so far.

Haven't heard or read the PC-7 recommendation before. Do you think that would be better than alumiweld rods or JB Weld?

Originally Posted by durielk
Why couldn't you just drill it out larger and put a plumbing plug in it?
It would be a lot easier if it works than splitting the cases.
Other option would be just to seal it up the best way you can, then just syphon the oil out the fill hole when you change the oil. Not the best, but it would work.
You actually don't have a ton of spare material to keep drilling out larger. I already did drill out/tap a slightly bigger hole to install the helicoil.
... and crack is longer than that area anyway.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

PC-7 holds up to gas and oil, not sure about JB Weld. I've used it a few times on cases, but very small cracks and holes. Never tried JB myself, so can't compare.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

From my experience in other metals (not sure about the cases on these bikes), cracks tend to continue growing regardless of how you seal them up.

Usually you need to drill our the ends of the crack to prevent it from spreading.

I personally wouldn't risk the wasted time of trying to repair this with epoxy or JB. If it starts puking oil on the road or trail, you're going to have bigger, more expensive problems than a leaky crank case.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree. I did say it's an option, but not the right way or the way I'd do it.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:59 AM
1st Gear Member

go and check out some of the threads over on klr650.net...... this is a real common problem on the KLR...

Old 08-01-2015, 03:53 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've been riding with guys who've peeled their drain plugs right off the cases during a ride and have punched holes in side cases. I was amazed at how well JB Weld...and there are different formulas...allowed them to finish the ride...and the trip sometimes. However, that fix isn't permanent. Most of our aluminum motorcycle cases are not like a thick sheet of high quality aluminum that lends itself to welding or other "fixes". They are cast and somewhat porous at the molecular level. Epoxy, glue, and composite fixes will eventually let go in most all cases. If you have a true "crack" down there, it's likely to get worse. The aluminum case is a stress member in a steel frame. Flex and vibration is always occurring.