Oil change?

Old 11-02-2015, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil change?

Ok so im planning to do an oil change tomorrow and i was wondering if the oil i was using was fine (10-W40) or should i change to 20-W50? i use Kawasaki 4-stroke oil. Keep in mind i live in florida and its hot nearly all year around, bike is KLX 2007 and has nearly 12k miles, its also my daily. Also should i replace oil filter every time as well?(ive been replacing oil filter every time) and lastly every how many miles?;o thank you guys for the help !!

Remember to check out my new vlog channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh2...BErIv7nxqawTWA

Old 11-02-2015, 03:13 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The thicker oil concept is really an old school approach. Our machines have better metallurgy, better cooling systems, and closer tolerances. The oils have also risen to a level of technology, quality, and durability that far exceed the reasons that people used to go that route. I'm in Texas(hot summers)...all my life...and I've lived through the "good-old-days" of heavier oils for air-cooled motors and such. It's just not needed these days, and in many cases is inferior. Our cylinder heads have the cams riding directly in the machined supports in the head, and the 10W-40 is much better at startup for this design where much of the actual wear occurs. 20W-50 these days is pretty much relegated to air-cooled engines, and even most of the modern versions of these use 10W-40. Now, when talking about highly modded engines...and I mean "highly"...in strictly track/strip competition venues, the 20W-50 may still be viable, but I'd bet some research in those venues about oil weights might surprise you.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

There ya go!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Ahh alright thank you! i changed the ol filter too not sure if its every oil chage

Old 11-05-2015, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Change the filter. They are cheap and changing it isn't difficult as you no doubt discovered.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
The thicker oil concept is really an old school approach. Our machines have better metallurgy, better cooling systems, and closer tolerances. The oils have also risen to a level of technology, quality, and durability that far exceed the reasons that people used to go that route. I'm in Texas(hot summers)...all my life...and I've lived through the "good-old-days" of heavier oils for air-cooled motors and such. It's just not needed these days, and in many cases is inferior. Our cylinder heads have the cams riding directly in the machined supports in the head, and the 10W-40 is much better at startup for this design where much of the actual wear occurs. 20W-50 these days is pretty much relegated to air-cooled engines, and even most of the modern versions of these use 10W-40. Now, when talking about highly modded engines...and I mean "highly"...in strictly track/strip competition venues, the 20W-50 may still be viable, but I'd bet some research in those venues about oil weights might surprise you.
I use mobil 1 synthetic 0/40 car oil since 7000 km in my 2014 klx. Gear changes are smoother and the engine makes less mechanical noises compared to the original kawasaki oil I was using previously. And no, the clutch does not slip at all!

Old 11-11-2015, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Extra Virgin Olive oil is good. Don't know if Virgin or Ordinary Virgin can work as well as well as Extra Virgin..

P.S. Don't pour olive oil anywhere near your motorcycle - I just enjoy using the word "virgin" ...

Old 11-12-2015, 02:26 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Klxster
Extra Virgin Olive oil is good. Don't know if Virgin or Ordinary Virgin can work as well as well as Extra Virgin..

P.S. Don't pour olive oil anywhere near your motorcycle - I just enjoy using the word "virgin" ...
Now that's funny!!!!

Old 11-12-2015, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

On a related note, Extra Virgin is defined as never having been used. Ordinary can be converted back to Virgin by putting a cork in it and not using it for 12 months. But, Ordinary can never be converted back to Extra Virgin. Works for oil too...

Old 11-13-2015, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Mazola corn oil, cuz it smells like fried chicken....

Blonde adding oil to her motor.
Name:  gpALGIH.gif
Views: 7
Size:  2.00 MB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil change?