Obviously the F in KLX250SF means "race me"

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Obviously the F in KLX250SF means "race me"

Okay, i was out for a nice evening ride around town last night when I had an interesting experience. I was putting through our local downtown area at a shade over the speed limit (25 MPH). Someone then got up my *** in a car. At this point I decided to distance them out and the speed limit was going to change so I pumped it up to about 40 or so (in a 35 this time). The tool in the car fell back to my pleasure and I got to relax without someone tailgating me. The next thing I see in my mirrors is the headlights getting closer quickly. I slow it down some just to let the guy pass if he's in that much of a hurry (it was a 4-lane road). To my dismay, the tool pulls along side of me and keeps punching it and slowing back down, trying to get me to race him... the whole time i was hearing a folgers can filled with angry bees (i.e. an oversized junky muffler from autozone that makes my old Civic sound "cool"). I refused to race the guy and kept my pace, we both approached a stop sign and i stopped first. He then started inching up next to me while revving up the engine. Again, I refused to race him off the stop and let him blast away. I then took a turn to get away from him and his stupidity.

The whole time this was happening another car was behind me. It must have been the first guy's buddies. When I turned, they too turned and then started slowing down and speeding up trying to provoke a race yet again. These guys at least had a bone stock Mitsubishi Lancer (base one, no fun turbo/AWD stuff there). They tried this until a stop light and then immediately stopped. The road forked ahead and I went the opposite way yet again just to avoid dangerous dumbarse teens.

I just dont comprehend why someone would think a guy on a dual-sport / supermoto would be interested in racing them. It's not like I wear loud *** full-matching gear that matches the fairings on my sport bike and try to burn every single car I come across (I'm stereotyping here I know, since only a tiny population of guys do that, but i swear most live near me).

And don't get me wrong, it was a bit tempting to race. But:
A.) I value my life far too much to get turned into street pizza by some punk-*** kid(s) in a Civic or Lancer
B.) I jokingly tried to race my girlfriend in her Toyota Yaris and beat her, only to learn that she really wasn't flooring it. (I need to lose some weight to make my bike faster)

Old 04-14-2010, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

haha.. There will always be tools out there.. It's up to you what you do with them

And I don't suggest racing these bikes, they'll likely get beat by just about every grocery-getter on the road, and then you'll feel bad and want a new bike.. And worse off it'll make the punk in the riced out civic think his car is actually fast because it beat a motorcycle.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
And I don't suggest racing these bikes, they'll likely get beat by just about every grocery-getter on the road, and then you'll feel bad and want a new bike.. And worse off it'll make the punk in the riced out civic think his car is actually fast because it beat a motorcycle.
Yeah, I realized that it was slow when my gf's Yaris probably could have taken me. My Corolla destroys her Yaris... and I know my Corolla is far from fast. Damn do I miss my turbocharged Jetta, that was good for making riced out civic owners angry.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

You might think it's a dual sport but to nearly every other car driver out their the SF model is a crotch rocket race bike. It looks mean with the black plastics. So you left the guy in your dust on your crotch rocket after the first speed change and now he wanted to race.

You did good to avoid the whole thing.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Tell me about it.. I sold all my fun cars and now only have an F150 and my bike

My last car was a 2000 Camaro SS, six speed, 350, etc. Fun car. At same time had a 91 Eagle Talon - AWD, Turbo.. I did so much crap to that car - put down 311hp at all four wheels and did best of 12.5 @ 111 in quarter.. THAT was a fun car to embarrass people with!!!

Some day I'll have fun car again

Old 04-14-2010, 04:10 PM
adr
1st Gear Member

Yeah I had the same deal a couple days ago with an Audi...

Had a guy come into my work yesterday and ask "hey who has the race bike, in the parking lot ?" My reply, I don't know, it wasn't here when I pulled up. Other worker says that's his and points at me. I guess it's just the perception.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

not everyone that owns and mods a civic is not a tool or a ricer. my exhuast is quite (24 inch resonator and nice muffler), i dont street race (autocross is better AND timed), but there was always some punk behind the wheel, hehehe. i would have told the guy to take his car to the canyons and to drift it off the side of the road, cus you know any tool like that would have tried. because of all those ricer jackasses, i use to get pulled over left and right having cops look at my car (as soon as they see lowered with exhuast they reach for the lights). but not once have they found any illegal parts (such as neons, ew).

cl, personally i love those cars except i have herd they can get crank walk like crazy. i got my honda so i can laugh at all the evo's and wrx's that cant get away from me when we do race, ive had plenty of people ask if i swaped the motor and such. i tell them theres only 800-1000 dollars in the motor, but like 3 grand in the suspention, and i caught them going into every corner. if i didnt get the honda, i would have gotten this turbo miata, but it was out of my price range at the time.

Last edited by punkenduro09; 04-14-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup I have a nice sleeper 03 civic si...it's turbo charged with a acura TSX motor in it..but remember those of us in the import car communties hate these ricer idiots too...now I personally will never build a FWD car again but there is no better feeling then putting the hurt on a mustang with half the motor ^^

Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah, i wasnt condemning tastefully modified hondas... just the nice guys that goto pep boys / auto zone / wherever, then grab an intake & exhaust for practically nothing. Maybe a big wing for the trunk too. Those are the ones who's cars are slow as junk, sound horrible, but they think they're in a race car.

My jetta was slightly modified, I had an exhaust (actually went through two before I found one that was quiet enough), and a downpipe with hi-flow cat for a short while (again, that went because the noise was a tad too much for me). It was great because my home town was filled with punk kids with the "tuner" civics... They'd rev on me, and I'd be gone without much fanfare.

My corolla however, that's as bone stock as it gets now. Unless you count the sirius radio that I hooked into the factory head unit. Eventually I'll get back into some sort of VW or Audi hopefully, although if anyone watched Top Gear... the Audi will make me labeled as a c*ck

Old 04-15-2010, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chris102984
.....although if anyone watched Top Gear... the Audi will make me labeled as a c*ck
LMAO Best car show ever.

Quick Reply: Obviously the F in KLX250SF means "race me"