non-starting 2006 KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default non-starting 2006 KLX250

Hey, guys. Great forum. I've been reading about the starter jet mod located in one of these stickies here, and how it is a verifiable solution to a non-starting KLX.

I'm in the market for an '06 bike, and I came across this CL posting: https://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/4904616714.html

Am I crazy for considering buying this bike to get it working? Sounds like starter jet or bad gas or something.

I really want a KLX, and catching one cheap with an easy/fun fix is very tempting.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:11 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Link didn't work for me. The cold starting issue for the KLX isn't unusual, but it's quite easy to fix. Also when buying a used bike that has a stated problem with starting, it's often the fact that the fuel has clogged up the pilot jet making starting difficult and idling impossible. Clean the carb, drill the starter jet, and you're usually good-to-go.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Try this link:
https://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/4904616714.html

Selling my street legal 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250 with 6000 miles on it. Very recent oil change and battery is brand new. Selling because it won't turn over when I try to start it. Carb needs to be cleaned as well as maybe the fuel filter changed a mechanic told me. I don't have the time/money/experience to get it fixed so it needs to go. Tires are good. No rust in gas tank. The exhaust on it now is stock but had the end cut off to make it louder. I have an original unmodified stock exhaust for it that I haven't put on yet, you can have it if you take it. Has one new rear view mirror on right side, no port for the one on the left. You can take the left mirror also though. Good bike that just needs a bit of work done. Call or text for more info/pics.

It won't turn over when trying to start it? Does that mean it won't start, or won't turn over? If it is not turning over, is it seized? The rear brake master cylinder looks funny; it shouldn't sit at an angle like that. Not having $100 or so to pay someone to pull the carb and clean it is just lazy and stupid in my opinion. I wouldn't pay $2K for a non-starter. I paid a bit more than $2K for my '06 over four years ago.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Try this link:
https://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/4904616714.html

Selling my street legal 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250 with 6000 miles on it. Very recent oil change and battery is brand new. Selling because it won't turn over when I try to start it. Carb needs to be cleaned as well as maybe the fuel filter changed a mechanic told me. I don't have the time/money/experience to get it fixed so it needs to go. Tires are good. No rust in gas tank. The exhaust on it now is stock but had the end cut off to make it louder. I have an original unmodified stock exhaust for it that I haven't put on yet, you can have it if you take it. Has one new rear view mirror on right side, no port for the one on the left. You can take the left mirror also though. Good bike that just needs a bit of work done. Call or text for more info/pics.

It won't turn over when trying to start it? Does that mean it won't start, or won't turn over? If it is not turning over, is it seized? The rear brake master cylinder looks funny; it shouldn't sit at an angle like that. Not having $100 or so to pay someone to pull the carb and clean it is just lazy and stupid in my opinion. I wouldn't pay $2K for a non-starter. I paid a bit more than $2K for my '06 over four years ago.
IDRIDR, thanks for the observations. I would not pay $2k for it either. Should have mentioned that. Just getting some expert opinions on the likelihood of the issue being a starter jet. I am scheduled to speak with the owner today; I will post what comes of that conversation. Thanks, guys.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Closer look...
The mounting tab appears busted off the rear brake master cylinder. Not a big deal - pick up a used MC from ebay.
The buttons were cut off the end of the levers, or they've been broke off. Lever buttons are there for a reason - safety - makes them less likely to poke into your legs and arms in a crash. Levers are cheap.
If the left mirror has no mounting "port" then it may have been busted off. Again, go to ebay or Kaw for a replacement mount.
Overall, the bike looks pretty good for a 2006. Plastics appear to be in good condition.

But non-running condition . . . yuk.

Drain the fuel from the carb into a bowl and smell it. Is it rancid?
Fresh fuel in. Choke on and maybe jump from a good battery. If it won't start at all, be very cautious.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Offer $1200, make sure the engine turns over vs. won't start. Big difference.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Good advice in here. Thank you all.

The seller spoke with me briefly, he's going to send more pics--I asked for close-ups of the MC, as well. Here's what he said:

--Bought from original owner 6 months ago
--Been his daily driver past 6 months
--Just stopped starting last week, would stall out during idle, too

He knows next to nothing about bikes, so he took it to a mech, who quoted $600 to clean the carb and play with the valves. The orig owner trimmed the levers and pegs, and took off a mirror.

The bike will try to start, but won't turn over. Still possible this is a starter jet issue?

Old 02-24-2015, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

oh yeah, he just put a new battery in, thinking that would fix it.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tezzytime
The bike will try to start, but won't turn over. Still possible this is a starter jet issue?
Expand on this. What do you mean will try to start but won't turn over?

For example, I hit the starter, it engages but won't turn the engine over (as in a very low battery).

Or, hit the starter and the engine turns over, but won't start. May even sputter a bit while turning over.

Could possibly be the pilot (starter) jet. Tight valves. Bad gas. Maybe even a fuse. Or worse.

Will it push/bump start? Put bike in 3rd gear, pull in clutch lever, push the heck out of it and while jumping onto the seat let out the clutch lever.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

He's sending me a recording of him trying to start the bike. Will post when I receive it. Thanks everyone for the patience and helpfulness.

Quick Reply: non-starting 2006 KLX250