Noise on suspension compression

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Default Noise on suspension compression

Hello,

I have a 2012 klx250s, but thought I'd ask about something I haven't been able to figure out yet. I've noticed what sounds like something rubbing when the suspension partially compresses, but I know not what. It's not a full bottoming out problem, I've noticed it on curvy mountain pavement where the road contours for drainage. Also when I gave someone a ride around the residential block while crossing the intersections. I looked for rub marks from the rear tire, nothing. I thought it might be the upper chain roller. Is this normal? I weigh about 200 lbs, I tightened the spring preload about 1/2"

John U.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, that could be the upper chain roller. At 200 lbs, you're too heavy for that stock spring.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

What IDRIDR said. The chain roller makes an uninspiring sound.
I'm about to replace mine with a skateboard wheel(ground down a bit) with bearings.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:45 AM

OK, thanks. Where is a good place to get a stiffer spring? A modified skateboard wheel would be quieter if the stock one just has a sleeve bushing/bearing. I was at one point thinking of just stuffing a coil spacer on the shock spring, probably a bad idea, but what about when you have a passenger, it's another 100+ lbs instantly.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I never heard of this "upper chain roller", maybe that is where my squeek is coming from when the rear suspension moves up and down.
I tore the whole rear end off and lubed everything, and the squeak was still there.

d

Old 05-14-2014, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by urkawi61
OK, thanks. Where is a good place to get a stiffer spring? A modified skateboard wheel would be quieter if the stock one just has a sleeve bushing/bearing. I was at one point thinking of just stuffing a coil spacer on the shock spring, probably a bad idea, but what about when you have a passenger, it's another 100+ lbs instantly.
If you're 200 and adding a 100 passenger, get a spring. Two choices that I know of: Race Tech is where I went for my '06 and I think the other place that does the 09+ very well is Cogent Technologies. John is the guy at Cogent if I remember correctly. In your situation, I'd tend to think giving John a call and talking to him about your specifics, i.e., where and how you ride, weights, etc., would be well worth the bill you will spend on a proper spring. And once you do that, you'll likely want to work on the fork springs. If you can afford it, do them both. You'll be surprised.

Originally Posted by durielk
I never heard of this "upper chain roller", maybe that is where my squeek is coming from when the rear suspension moves up and down.
I tore the whole rear end off and lubed everything, and the squeak was still there.

d
Look and see. There should be a little roller on the left side where the upper chain rolls when closing in on fully compressed.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Any harm in removing the upper wheel? I think this has been covered on the forum. Someone actually had one tear off of the frame. May have been the KDX forum? Very similar setup.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Thanks IDRIDR. I'm in Cali so Race Tech would be local. I googled Cogent and got Cogent Dynamics for suspension.
When I was shopping for my bike I remember reading that the roller was one of the 'flaws' of the DR650, and it was a good idea to remove it before it came off, along with a section of the frame. Although, too much chain 'whip' = broken parts along the chain path.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not recalling anyone here who had it break off, but its probably happened. And I don't recall anyone recommending removal.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

You sure it's not just the plastic mud flap thing that hangs down between the front of the swing arm and the tire tread to protect the shock? That plastic flap makes noise on most bikes as the suspension moves.

Quick Reply: Noise on suspension compression