No headlight or taillight ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Angry No headlight or taillight ??

All of a sudden, my headlight and taillight is not working. I have dash lights, turn signals and brake lights and horn, but no headlight or taillight?

Any ideas? Hopefully its a fuse or something simple.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

The bulbs are filament type. Just check the bulbs. Tail light is the easiest, start there.
It's a single, they vibrate. Filament bulbs and vibration don't really mix.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

How bout Brake lites? It sounds like a ground problem. Usually when multiple items stop working its a ground or common fuse. Check fuses & grounds and you should find the problem. Good luck

Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

i'd go straight to the fuses 1st.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Definatly fuse....they are under the seat..lol.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

What a coincidence. The same thing happened to me not more than 2 hours ago. The headlight and tail light would not work but all other lights worked. I noticed it as it began to get dark on my way home from work.

Just like the guys said, it's the fuse. Remove the seat, slide the rubber cover off of the small fuse box and pop it open. It's a 10 amp fuse. Here's a pic of the fuse box minus the blown fuse

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...oship/fuse.jpg

Last edited by KDXmike; 07-25-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

One more thing... Hopefully it doesn't happen to you again otherwise you'll have to find out what's causing it. I accidentally got the positive and negative from the turn signals crossed so I know what happened and when.

Mike

Old 07-25-2008, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
One more thing... Hopefully it doesn't happen to you again otherwise you'll have to find out what's causing it. I accidentally got the positive and negative from the turn signals crossed so I know what happened and when.

Mike
the signals crossed but the front and back goes out? are you
sure the signals still worked? shouldnt this blow the other fuse?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by illenium
the signals crossed but the front and back goes out? are you
sure the signals still worked? shouldnt this blow the other fuse?
Yes the turn signals still worked for sure.

A few days ago I was re-installing a turn signal that had come loose after I dumped my bike. Once it was back on I went for a short ride and noticed that my turn signals didn't work at all. I opened up the turn signal that I had been working on and found that the positive and negative wires were in contact and once I fixed that problem I tested the turn signals and all was well. I never figured to check the headlight and tail light because I like you thought that a fuse relating to the turn signals would have blown if anything. But after I saw that the turn signals worked I disregarded anything else.

The headlight and tail light fuse probably blew the instant that I activated the turn signal when the wires were crossed. Strange... but everything else worked including the brake light. I will carry fuses with me forever after this.

Mike

Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Good reminder that I need to pack all the extra fuses for our bike for my tip to Canada, which are what? How many and what amperage? Anyone? I don't want to be stuck 200 miles up in the woods and have something like that happen.

Quick Reply: No headlight or taillight ??