Ninja 250 Lever compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Ninja 250 Lever compatibility?

Been trying to hunt down a pair of shorty levers for my 09 klx250s, I hear from scattered sources that Ninja 250 levers bolt right up. Do you think these levers would? US SHIP 1 Pair Brake Clutch Levers for Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008 2012 09 10 11 | eBay

There is a review of their quality and they are pretty good, and at 28 bucks it would be a fairly easy hit to take if they break/dont work. Have any of you guys fitted anything like this before?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

They will fit for sure.

I got these ones and i'm very pleased with them.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brio
They will fit for sure.

I got these ones and i'm very pleased with them.
Can those levers be changed between regular and short length whenever you want?
Is it a pain?

Pros/cons of those levers?

I'm considering getting some.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

If you're buying them because others have or for "style" you are doing it for the wrong reason.

One reason for short levers is to avoid breaking them when the bike goes down. Long levers stick out far enough they will frequently break or bend when the bike falls over or is crashed. Short levers won't hit as readily. Before the shorties it wasn't uncommon to see off-roaders with broken clutch and brake levers.

Another reason is if, like many racers and riders, you only use two or three fingers on the levers. You will not hit or pinch the fingers still holding the grips.

Last reason I can think of would be to fit in bark busters that fasten to the end of the bars, most will not fit full length levers and could pinch fingers between them and levers. I had to cut my clutch lever more, because my one finger would pinch at the outside end, between the end of the lever and the guard bar.

I use a three finger grip on my clutch and two on the brake, so short levers absolutely make sense for me. Fact is I use the same grip on street bikes, but I don't use cut levers on them because they need the ball end.

There would be no reason to swap between the two if there is a true need for them.

Last edited by klx678; 06-24-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
If you're buying them because others have or for "style" you are doing it for the wrong reason.

One reason for short levers is to avoid breaking them when the bike goes down. Long levers stick out far enough they will frequently break or bend when the bike falls over or is crashed. Short levers won't hit as readily. Before the shorties it wasn't uncommon to see off-roaders with broken clutch and brake levers.

Another reason is if, like many racers and riders, you only use two or three fingers on the levers. You will not hit or pinch the fingers still holding the grips.

Last reason I can think of would be to fit in bark busters that fasten to the end of the bars, most will not fit full length levers and could pinch fingers between them and levers. I had to cut my clutch lever more, because my one finger would pinch at the outside end, between the end of the lever and the guard bar.

I use a three finger grip on my clutch and two on the brake, so short levers absolutely make sense for me. Fact is I use the same grip on street bikes, but I don't use cut levers on them because they need the ball end.

There would be no reason to swap between the two if there is a true need for them.
I don't think we have to justify what we outfit these little bikes with. If they look cool and that's why you get them, that's perfectly fine. That being said, a friend of mine had them on his tiger and when i rode it, I loved the levers. Not to be confrontational, but I have seen you floating around in my short time here and you tend to have a negative standpoint. Lastly, the guy was talking about the pair that were posted by the other user here, they have adjustable length to go from shorty to long, he was just asking if it was a pain to adjust the length. This is a feature of those levers, so it was entirely justified and pertinent for him to ask how hard it is to swap.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chay
I don't think we have to justify what we outfit these little bikes with. If they look cool and that's why you get them, that's perfectly fine.
Don't talk back to your father like that!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I dig those Ninja levers. They are exactly what I've been looking for.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Using the Ninja levers, does it maintain the clutch/starter interlock, or does that interface need to be disabled?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

They look a little different then mine, but it might just be the picture. I paid about the same on eBay too.

Short Black Brake Clutch Levers for Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008 2011 CNC | eBay

One thing to keep in mind, they have a little more wiggle so if you can use a thin washer it will help.

Oh ya, it works with the clutch kill switch.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks, how come they don't have green?????

Quick Reply: Ninja 250 Lever compatibility?