Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Default newbie

So I recently bought a bone stock 2009 klx250 sf. It's my first motorcycle. This forum has helped answer a lot of my questions, but one i haven't found an answer to is- why is the seat so friggin uncomfortable and what can be done to fix it? Or is it just that I'm not used to riding? Maybe that's why the original owner only put 1100 miles on it. Lol.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member

You took the strap off the 2x4, right? If not, that'll help so it doesn't feel like you're sitting on a wrench, on a 2x4.
Otherwise, it's Seat Concepts or suffer for 10,000 miles until that foam starts to mold to your butt (that's what I did : read cheap/chapped ***).

Old 03-18-2014, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
You took the strap off the 2x4, right? If not, that'll help so it doesn't feel like you're sitting on a wrench, on a 2x4.
Otherwise, it's Seat Concepts or suffer for 10,000 miles until that foam starts to mold to your butt (that's what I did : read cheap/chapped ***).
+100 for seat concepts!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:29 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The OEM seat is liked by many and hated by many. It's mostly a matter of anatomy, preference, and how you use the bike. As your first motorcycle, I can easily imagine your take on the saddle. However, as time goes by and you end up riding this bike off road to any degree, you might find out why the saddle seems stiffer than it needs to be. A soft saddle is usually not great for off road because you have real difficulty sliding on the saddle like you often have to do in many off road conditions. Soft saddles are often easily torn on the trail too.

Just like shoes, underwear, and other things that come in close contact with your body, saddles have all kinds of variables to the likes, dislikes, and application for each rider, so there is really no one correct answer. Still, an OEM saddle like the KLX is more geared toward off road, so if you're sitting more stationary for longer periods of time, like on the highway, you'll probaby want something softer. Ideally one would have two different saddles for the two extreme differences of highway cruising and real off road use, but of course that's not always possible.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX saddle is one of the gripes about this bike. It's like a padded 2x4. Most, me included, have opted to buy a Seat Concepts seat. I paid about $175 a couple years ago and it was the best money I've ever spent on my ***.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:41 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
The KLX saddle is one of the gripes about this bike. It's like a padded 2x4. Most, me included, have opted to buy a Seat Concepts seat. I paid about $175 a couple years ago and it was the best money I've ever spent on my ***.
Candyass...

Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM

I haven't taken the strap off yet, but as soon as i get a cup of coffee i will. Hopefully that helps, otherwise it looks like I'll be getting something from seat concepts. I've seen pads on the seat in a few pics of people's bike. Are any of those worth considering?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

You can get a coleman seat cover from walmart for around $20 or so. I put one on the KLR and it helped. I'm one of the few around here who went for a Guts Racing tall seat. At 6' with 34" inseam, the stock seat just sucked me down and in towards the tank. The tall seat helped a lot. Tall seat is great for the trails, but when putting hours in the saddle I simply use this: Sweet Cheeks | Cycle Analyst

Old 03-18-2014, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe you guys should watch your wife's buns of steel vid afew times!

Jk! I've raced 24 hour endurance races with three to six riders. Monkey butt happens

Quick Reply: newbie