Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Newbie

Just bought my first motorcycle last november so ive been lurking on here a little bit. Im loving the 250s for a starter bike and look forward to logging many miles on it. Now I have a problem took the bike out riding in the snow hit a patch of ice going down hill and bent the bars up and in. Question is do i bend them back or get a new set along with grips which the ones on their now a thorn up? And what size bars do i get sweep height width, im 6'3.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

you have plenty of choices from different brands....i have the protaper s.e. carmichaels...the stock cables work for this bar, but anything higher or wider might need longer cables or disconnecting the little pieces holding the cables...i'm 5'10" and carmichaels work great for me....

if you don't mind spending money on custom longer cables, you probably can go higher rise for better fit/comfort....

Seven Eighths | Pro Taper
Renthal - Fit My Bike

Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Renthal 7/8" Road Bars - BikeBandit.com
would these be taller than stock?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Do a search for handle bars, there are lots of threads on them. Here's just one of many.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...le-bars-40710/

Old 01-30-2014, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

you have a long list to pick from..and yes, most of those bars are taller than stock....

Originally Posted by Tacoma660
Renthal 7/8" Road Bars - BikeBandit.com
would these be taller than stock?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Renthal also has a bar finder on their website.

Renthal - Fit My Bike

Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I have ProTaper CR high bend bars. They are about the same bend as the stock, but wider. I also rotated them more forward than how the stock bars came set up.
Cables and brake hose all work fine. Some rerouting of the cables was required, but I also installed Barkbusters at the same time, that might have a lot more to do with the reroute.
The ProTaper has seen some serious abuse. It slid sideways in the clamp once during a slide out in the snow on the road, but hasn't even been scratched. And then there are the endless dumps and crashes off-road. Twisted the forks many times slamming the bar into the ground, swore I bent the bars each time...knock on wood...hasn't happened yet.
Most aftermarket bars will be much stronger than the stock bar.
And don't drill holes in the new bar for the control pod tabs...cut the tabs off and put some duct tape (I use gaff tape - the same idea but different, not as sticky and cloth) around the bar under the controls to keep them from spinning.
Grips are cheap. Spray paint will make them stick to the bar and throttle tube, just be quick about it.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

i also crashed...slid on the right side of the handlebar and rear tire...besides the scratch at the end tips of the handlebar...my protaper se bars had no issues....

Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the responses im doing my research while their is still snow on the ground so im ready for spring. And i would never ever think about drilling holes for those stupid plastic tabs. leaning towards cr mid bend bars

Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Most ATV bars are higher rise than motorcycle bars. Usually around 4" or so. Less cost than the bar riser set ups. You can buy steel ones for maybe $25-40, alloy bars like Renthal for around $80-90.

Quick Reply: Newbie