New Rider

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 07:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe this video might help you out before you remove the side cover?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
What Max said, looks like chain came into contact with case... Have you adjusted chain at all? Make sure it's within limits...
No I have not touched the chain yet, but will look into how to adjust it as I have never done that before.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Chain looks to me like it needs care, so ....that is not chain lube. Your observation may vary.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NEWPARTSRULE
Chain looks to me like it needs care, so ....that is not chain lube. Your observation may vary.
Its definitely not chain lube, I found the crack in the case that was leaking the oil.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool

As per cleaning, sorry Max, I was just being a wise guy.

Last edited by NEWPARTSRULE; 07-26-2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: .
Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you found your oil leaking problem, but I would add one suggestion to those mentioning cleaning the countershaft area of gunk. I would recommend not using any solvents or spray cleaners in the countershaft pocket...unless you're super careful about not getting those chemicals on the countershaft seal.

For one, that pocket doesn't have to be very clean. Just using a screwdriver or device to scape out the big chunks is all that's needed...again, being careful when using sharp devices around the countershaft seal. Yes, the countershaft seal is a tough ****, but some chemicals will harden the flexible characteristics of the rubber seal shortening its life. Unless you know beyond all doubt that the chemical you're using is absolutely safe on rubber, it's just not necessary to hose down the area with chemicals to dissolve the gunk. Warm soapy water not sprayed directly in there like a firehose is plenty good and just scrape the bigger stuff out by hand/tool.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Sounds like you found your oil leaking problem, but I would add one suggestion to those mentioning cleaning the countershaft area of gunk. I would recommend not using any solvents or spray cleaners in the countershaft pocket...unless you're super careful about not getting those chemicals on the countershaft seal.

For one, that pocket doesn't have to be very clean. Just using a screwdriver or device to scape out the big chunks is all that's needed...again, being careful when using sharp devices around the countershaft seal. Yes, the countershaft seal is a tough ****, but some chemicals will harden the flexible characteristics of the rubber seal shortening its life. Unless you know beyond all doubt that the chemical you're using is absolutely safe on rubber, it's just not necessary to hose down the area with chemicals to dissolve the gunk. Warm soapy water not sprayed directly in there like a firehose is plenty good and just scrape the bigger stuff out by hand/tool.
Thanks for the info TNC, as of right now I have not used any type solvents or cleaners I have only used a flat head screw driver to knock the big chunks out then after that went behind with q tips and paper towels to get in all the little spots. I would have to say that the area around the crack is as clean as it will get and I should not have to use any solvents or cleaners. As far as the jb welding goes, do you think it will adhere to that case good enough to stop the leak or at least slow it down? As always thanks for all the info!

Old 07-27-2016, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

In my experience, when you use glue on metal, that joint has to be clean. Really clean, so you need to decide what it the best way to do that. 1. Soap, muscle, & water or a very 2. good cleaner (solvent). I would do both, 1 then 2 using the solvent very controlled method.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I know JB weld is a good epoxy. I used PC7 on a set of Bultaco cases when I threw a chain. It's been there since 1972.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all of the help guys, I left the crack for now and will look into that PC7 and try and work on her this weekend if I get time.

Quick Reply: New Rider