New Owner- Bent Kickstand options

Old 03-13-2017, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New Owner- Bent Kickstand options

Hi All,

After kicking around the idea for a few years I pulled the trigger on a dual sport with weekend- a 2009 klx250s with 3300 miles. The bike is in good overall shape, fresh tires and Fmf exhaust. The only major issue a bent kickstand. It was (poorly) welded once by the previous owner, but is beginning to sag again. I've attached a picture, and would appreciate your input on possible fixes. Should I have this ground off and replaced with a stock assembly? Aftermarket options?

http://m.imgur.com/a/ro9eL

Old 03-13-2017, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member

No Pic

Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member

From the OP:
Name:  Q816dDtl.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  83.3 KB

Yeah, that looks pretty sketch. Grind off and replace sounds like a plan.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snowdrifter
From the OP:

Yeah, that looks pretty sketch. Grind off and replace sounds like a plan.
Thanks snowdrifter. Do you know where I can purchase the complete stock assembly?

Old 03-13-2017, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope you didn't pay too much for your KLX. With only 3300 miles the kickstand certainly has seen some abuse. Kind of makes you wonder about the rest of the bike.

Those gobby welds certainly aren't done by a professional. I'd definitely have a pro re-weld that plate onto the frame. Looks like you couldn't get a socket on the bell-crank pivot bolt now either. As far as replacing with a stock part, that could be a problem. I think the plate is considered part of the frame and would not be available as a stock part.

Besides the two dents in the kickstand there also appears to be an open crack near the top that also needs to be welded. (might be an optical illusion)

Did this bike come from the Ozarks or Appalachia? LOL

Old 03-13-2017, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I got a pretty good deal. $2300 in rural PA, and kickstand is the only option. The bike has seen some woods action (obviously) but seems to be in good mechanical shape.

Name:  ihk85u9.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  577.5 KB

Originally Posted by Oldad
I hope you didn't pay too much for your KLX. With only 3300 miles the kickstand certainly has seen some abuse. Kind of makes you wonder about the rest of the bike.

Those gobby welds certainly aren't done by a professional. I'd definitely have a pro re-weld that plate onto the frame. Looks like you couldn't get a socket on the bell-crank pivot bolt now either. As far as replacing with a stock part, that could be a problem. I think the plate is considered part of the frame and would not be available as a stock part.

Besides the two dents in the kickstand there also appears to be an open crack near the top that also needs to be welded. (might be an optical illusion)

Did this bike come from the Ozarks or Appalachia? LOL

Attached Thumbnails New Owner- Bent Kickstand options-ihk85u9.jpg  

Last edited by Gwolf; 03-13-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

You're right. The rest of the bike looks pretty good. It even has its turn signals still attached.

At 3300 miles, the valves may be due for a check. I believe the service schedule calls for adjustments at 2,500 mile intervals.

If you're going to keep riding in the woods you might want to consider a skid pan and some hand guards.

By the way, welcome aboard.

Last edited by Oldad; 03-13-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, the valves were just done actually. The seller actually advertised the bike as having 5500 miles, but I found out those were KMs when I converted the speedometer to MPH. That was a nice surprise!

Suggestions for an aftermarket kickstand since the stock mount may not be usable?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Considering the now confirmed overall good condition of the bike, I would try to retain the stock configuration. The plate mounted to the frame seems to be functioning even if it has been cobbled on. A good welder should be able to make it look almost new. If you're concerned about the kickstand leg itself, those are available used. Typically, they go for about $60 on eBay. If you do buy one, make sure it is for the KLX250S model, not the KLX250SF. The SF is a moto version bike with smaller wheels and a shorter kickstand.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice Oldad. Can anyone recommend a shop/welder in the Baltimore area?

Originally Posted by Oldad
Considering the now confirmed overall good condition of the bike, I would try to retain the stock configuration. The plate mounted to the frame seems to be functioning even if it has been cobbled on. A good welder should be able to make it look almost new. If you're concerned about the kickstand leg itself, those are available used. Typically, they go for about $60 on eBay. If you do buy one, make sure it is for the KLX250S model, not the KLX250SF. The SF is a moto version bike with smaller wheels and a shorter kickstand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Owner- Bent Kickstand options