New KLX250S owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 10:28 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default New KLX250S owner

Hi

I've had a 2008 KLX250 for nearly 2 weeks now. I'm not new to riding, been riding 18 years. Got the KLX as a commuter and weekend dirty fun bike. My other bike is a ZX-14 so yes it is from one extreme to the other. I chose a 250 as I am a dirt novice and want to practice with something placid. I liked the KLX because once I am happy with my off road skills, I can then get the 351 kit with out having to change bikes. That 'should' be enough for what I want it to do.

I picked up the KLX cheap as it had leaky left front fork and the usual niggles from a bike that hasn't been used often. It only had 8400kms on the clock.

So repairs so far?
Fork seals
Removed cheap LED auxillary lighting that did nothing but consume vital wattage that could go elsewhere.
Treated a few rust spots
Replaced front brake pads with EBC items, much better stopping power
Front calipers cleaned and de rusted
new chain and sprocket

So mods so far?
Snorkel removed
Delkalvic exhaust
Acerbis tank
Seat Concepts seat
Lowering links
Pirelli MT-90 AT tyres

Failed mods
Chinese powerbomb header

Mods to come
brackets to mount a top box
jet kit
Kreiger cam chain tensioner

Old 02-28-2016, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome, you've got a great looking bike.

I notice your rear turn signal is very close to the exhaust.
Happy trail makes a bracket to relocate them further back an up.

Enjoy the bike!

Originally Posted by Bluezr7
Hi

I've had a 2008 KLX250 for nearly 2 weeks now. I'm not new to riding, been riding 18 years. Got the KLX as a commuter and weekend dirty fun bike. My other bike is a ZX-14 so yes it is from one extreme to the other. I chose a 250 as I am a dirt novice and want to practice with something placid. I liked the KLX because once I am happy with my off road skills, I can then get the 351 kit with out having to change bikes. That 'should' be enough for what I want it to do.

I picked up the KLX cheap as it had leaky left front fork and the usual niggles from a bike that hasn't been used often. It only had 8400kms on the clock.

So repairs so far?
Fork seals
Removed cheap LED auxillary lighting that did nothing but consume vital wattage that could go elsewhere.
Treated a few rust spots
Replaced front brake pads with EBC items, much better stopping power
Front calipers cleaned and de rusted
new chain and sprocket

So mods so far?
Snorkel removed
Delkalvic exhaust
Acerbis tank
Seat Concepts seat
Lowering links
Pirelli MT-90 AT tyres

Failed mods
Chinese powerbomb header

Mods to come
brackets to mount a top box
jet kit
Kreiger cam chain tensioner

Old 02-28-2016, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome.. Nice KLX you have there..

Please list your location and altitudes that you ride at - when you re-jet, we will need to know the altitudes...

Assuming your bike is not jetted now, there is quite a bit of TRQ and HP to gain with a properly set up carb and airbox - so much, in fact, that the bike becomes quite a different "animal" . So probably ought to do-up the carb and airbox before you spend much time getting acquainted with it offroad..

Old 02-29-2016, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have stock jetting you are running very lean with the snorkel removed. You may want to pop it back on until you rejet.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

2008?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks a lot like my 09! Well, at least the body panels.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Probably manufactured in '08 for the '09 model year...either way that's a nice looking bike!
If you plan on doing off-road, cut your rear fender up closer to the plate. It can fold up when it makes contact with the rear wheel. DAMHIK. Luckily, the plastic was soft enough to cut with my knife trail side. I cleaned it up a bit later, once I was at home.
Then I replaced it all with the DRC Edge tail light...
ZX-14! I can't even imagine. I have a Ducati 900 that makes me crap my pants, but is oh so fun in the twisties. Whatever the speed limit is it can comfortably double it in the twisties, maybe more but I can't. I hit 155 once and almost got blown off when I sat up to slow down! The ZX-14 is still getting spooled up at 155. Would love a run at Bonneville on one.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:24 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I think the most recent generation was released in 08 in Australia. I've learnt quickly that I order parts for an 09 plus model.

The Aussie model has a 132 main jet not a 118 like the US version so it isn't running as lean but it is still lean. The KLX isn't on the road as I'm waiting for an exhaust clamp to arrive so not too concerned, plus my jet kit should arrive any day now. Altitudes will be sea-level to about 300 metres. Bugger all topology where I live. I plan on using the stock pilot, DJ128 main jet and DJ needle on the 3rd groove as a starting point.

Kreiger Cam chain tensioner arrived the other day, just need to find time to fit it and get rid of the cam chain rattle. I know that Kawasaki are bad for there auto tensioners but failing after only 8000kms?

Brackets for the top box should be here any day as well.

Once it is up and running nice, I'll save up for some suspension upgrades as I am a fat bastard and I know it is way too soft and under damped.

The ZX14 is deceptive with it's speed which it why it is now my long distance bike and the KLX has replaced it for commuting. I only get it up to about 240km/h at the drag strip so not quite 155mph but it is still pulling like a steam train in 4th gear. Just need to adjust riding style from one to the other and not grab a handful of throttle when I pull out of the driveway on the ZX14 after being used to the KLX. I can feel myself wanting the 351 kit though.

Last edited by Bluezr7; 03-01-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

DJ developed the kit on a stock exhaust - you'll be very lean with the 128 and snorkel removed at your altitudes. But I guess you have to start somewhere..?

When you're ready for big power, that's a DJ140, clip on 2nd notch down, airbox lid removed (if you're running the stock header.)

Last edited by Klxster; 03-01-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Holy GruntCakes, check out all the KLX250S silencer options from Delkevic !

Delkevic US Motorcycles | Kawasaki | 2012 | KLX250S (2009-2015))

Quick Reply: New KLX250S owner