New to the KLX250 Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KawaKLX250
Thanks for the quick replies!
Yes i've also read about the "Marcelino cam mod" all the 85 pages!
I could do it myself as i work as a mechanic on cars for a living.
Some say you loose some power higher up the rev range others say it will pull better over the entire rev range...Hmmm , a bit confusing.
Let me clear the confusion...

Those who say the Marcelino cam re-timing makes less power are wrong. It simply peaks at a slightly lower rpm. Odds are it is still making more horsepower at the 8600 rpm peak of the stock power range, since it still has the ability to over rev like the stock timing. If you have ever done any cam timing for performance you will understand how it can affect power delivery.

The Marcelino cam retiming puts out more horsepower over the entire power range , maxing out a few hundred sooner rpm than stock - but with more horsepower. That is usable power, power at 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000 rpm, not just above 8000. The engine still has the ability to over rev about 2000 rpm to 10,000 rpm if needed.

No cost to add horsepower over the entire range, only peaking at a higher horsepower at a shade lower rpm, what's not to like? You can step up the gearing a bit if you want, no matter how you look at it, it is free horsepower achieved through altered cam timing - that actually is more in line with most cam timing done by engine builders.

Last edited by klx678; 10-02-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Michaelb2
That's the first time I've heard those words associated with the KLX! I guess it all depends on your perspective.
Hahaha!, this is my first enduro bike, i also drive a frz600 from '91(185kg i think) compared to that the KLX is/feels light!

KLXster: To get the fueling right is more difficult with these injection bikes(after modifications) so i now need to find out which "fuel enhancer" system to use. i did the o2 sensor by-pass with 2x330ohm resistors but still have de-accelaration popping from the exhaust..
BTW, does "correctly mating" slipon means the LV slipon is no good on this bike?

Old 10-02-2015, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Hahaha!, this is my first enduro bike, i also drive a frz600 from '91(185kg i think) compared to that the KLX is/feels light!
I take my KLX to the endures and get looked at sideways all day long: "Isn't that kind of big for this kind of event?" Then when I talk to people about 400+cc, they wave a hand at me and say "Oh! Those are ad-VEN-ture bikes!"

It seems what you call a bike is relative to your experience. What I used to call my main bike (xr100), others call a pit bike. There's just no pleasing everyone.

Welcome to the forums, and welcome to the KLX!

Old 10-02-2015, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you, Michaelb2!
I ride this bike for fun/seightseeing in Portugal, thats why need to find out what i can do to the bike while i go there. I don't ride "real" enduro events or something like that, i'm not a hero on the bike either

@KLX678: Thanks for clearing that up! Will the MCM have the same effect with the 351BB?

Old 10-03-2015, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, its a little underpowered but its light and nibble to ride!
Originally Posted by Michaelb2
That's the first time I've heard those words associated with the KLX! I guess it all depends on your perspective.
]
Maybe it's not light, but it is nibble!

Old 10-03-2015, 10:49 AM
1st Gear Member

@KLX678: Thanks for clearing that up! Will the MCM have the same effect with the 351BB?
The MCM mod is different from the BB. It wont deliver as much power as the 351 when they are both set up right but they will both make a lot more power.

Thanks to the work of people like KLXster you could do this mod and get a lot more power for not much money. If I had it to do over again I'd likely do this route. I am very happy with the 351 but the MCM offers great value for money. It looks like a really nice amount of power and spread of power for this size and type of bike.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

KLXster: To get the fueling right is more difficult with these injection bikes(after modifications) so i now need to find out which "fuel enhancer" system to use. i did the o2 sensor by-pass with 2x330ohm resistors but still have de-accelaration popping from the exhaust..
BTW, does "correctly mating" slipon means the LV slipon is no good on this bike?
We have EFI guys in here that can help with fueling needs. You may have to get their attention with a new thread that has "EFI" in the subject line..

The Leo Vince will "mate" with the stock header in one of only two ways.
1. It slips into the stock exhaust seal.
2. It will only slip into the stock header if the stock seal is removed.

These two differences are VERY important to you.

If the X2 requires the seal to be removed, it will also mate well to a powerbomb or megabomb.

If the X2 slips into the stock seal, it will not mate correctly to a FMF header.

Mismatching a header and slipon is "fatal" to power production and a complete waste of time and money.(Don't ask how I know..)

Last edited by Klxster; 10-03-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm , my LV slips into seal to fit into the stock header..
Will have to do some modifications there if i buy a header!
I agree with you on mismatching a header and slipon is fatal for power!

Old 10-04-2015, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok.. So here is the deal.. Your stock header + LV X2 will make great power and great power curves below (about) 9500 RPM with the airbox lid off, if you can properly fuel it.

If there is a way to control the EFI mapping in order to get the WOT AFR to stay between 12 and 13:1 AND maintain driveability, you need to do that now.

Then perform the MCM. Go into the EFI again and give the MCM a little extra fueling across the "board" ..

At this point you should be an "expert" with your EFI tuning/fueling and your KLX will have lots of extra power.. Then, if you want to increase power levels from 7K - redline, get a compete exhaust system and provide it a significant increase in fueling starting at about 6K RPM , to redline. At that point, you should expect 23-25hp at the rear wheel and strong power everywhere up to ignition cutoff.

Last edited by Klxster; 10-04-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
Maybe it's not light, but it is nibble!
Might hurt your teeth if you try to nibble on it.

It is light compared to some of my friends dual sports and they are very nimble.

Last week me and a friend did a 50 mile road cruising trip. Pavement and gravel. He rides an xr650. We rode a decent amount when he said let's swap bikes since he hasn't ridden mine. We rode another 15 miles and we stopped. He looked at me and said I think I messed up. This little 250 runs well and you can about drag the foot peg in a turn!

Awhile his xr is has a more oomph I didn't feel like I was on a monster. Although an xr650 is in my plans in the future.

Quick Reply: New to the KLX250 Questions..