New headlight wiring help. Hi/LOW beam on at the same time needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New headlight wiring help. Hi/LOW beam on at the same time needed.

I replaced the headlight on my 09 KLX with 2 8" led light bars. Trying to figure out how to wire them to both to be on for my high beams using the stock switch.

Can someone help point me to the right direction?

Attached Thumbnails New headlight wiring help.  Hi/LOW beam on at the same time needed.-unnamed.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

how many wires do you have?

splice/use connectors/or solder. the same color wires. from your headlights.

then find your high beam power and ground wire.

I'm guessing that you have a power and ground for each light, for a total of four wires. you want the power/power wire spliced together on your lights. and the ground/ground wire spliced together on your lights, then simply find your power and ground wires to your high beam switch, and then tie all the wires together accordingly. power power from your lights to power on highbeam. ground and ground wire from your lights to ground wire on high beam.

splice the two power wires together on your lights, and the two ground wires for your lights, *together.

then find your power wire for your high beam, make a splice, put the two power wires from you lights into that splice. e-tape-use connectors-or solder (my preferred method)

then find your ground wire for you high beam. take the ground wires from your headlights and splice them into that wire. (use connecters or solder then e-tape.

a photo of the wires would be helpful,

you can use a voltmeter or test light to find the power and ground wires for your light, or trace the wire from your switch and find it that way, just follow the colored wire to where it goes, and visually inspect it, find the color, then use a test light/DVOM (digital volt meter) to verify what the wire is.

you cant go wrong, if its in the wire loom to the headlight switch, those are the wires you are wanting to splice into.

whats going to be the kicker is to find exactly which wire is going to be for the highbeam, and splice into there. the ground wire should be easy to find on your light switch harness loom.

the advantage of going on and splicing your two power wires and two ground wire together on your lights. is that eventually you will have only 1 power wire and 1 ground wire going into your headlight switch wire 1 for power 1 for ground.

if you were not two go on and splice your headlight wires together, you would have 2 splices on your power wire and 2 splices on your ground wire, which you could do it like that, but IMO it would not be as easy, or look as clean. less wires. 10x easier.

are you sure the battery will keep up with the headlights? and keep your bike charged?

Last edited by KLX25O; 09-07-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

The H4 has a simple 3 pin connector with ground, lo beam position and hi beam positive.
http://mypage.tsn.cc/roddqld/socket_wiring_diagram.jpg

You should be able to just plug the ground from both LED's to the ground in the plug, then use the lo beam positive to the positive on one LED, and the hi beam positive to the positives on both LED's. You might need a diode (only allow electricity to flow one direction) so there's no 'backflow' of current, but I don't think that this will be an issue.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, you will need a diode on the wire going from high beam power source to the light you want to be your low beam. Without the diode your low beam power source will light both lights.

PM and I can draw a diagram if needed.

Last edited by DYNOBOB; 09-09-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DYNOBOB
Yes, you will need a diode on the wire going from high beam power source to the light you want to be your low beam. Without the diode your low beam power source will light both lights.

PM and I can draw a diagram if needed.

Yup, now that I think about it a little more, the diode will be required, as dynobob says. I was thinking about the diode when the hi-beam was on, but the diode is more for when the lo-beam is on, so the high-beam doesn't light up.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I figured it out after posting this question. You are correct a diode was needed. Got the wire harness built, now need to build the light bracket.