New Boots

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 03:10 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Default New Boots

Just got back from my annual 2-week Utah trip and got some different boots. I needed some boots less stiff and more capable of walking around a bit for those types of trips...but not without some decent protection. My MX boots even separated part of the plastic lower from the sole on this trip. I was able to finish the trip just fine, but they're toast.

I ordered a pair of Gaerna Adventure boots which have much more leather in them. They still have some plastic/armor in some critical areas, but these things are so much more comfortable and much easier to walk in. I love 'em.

I'll still wear full MX boots on hardcore, singletrack rides here at home at our club's national enduro course, but my "out west" trips involve a good deal of sight-seeing and checking out sketchy trail sections on foot. These things seem like they'll fill the bill just fine.

Attached Thumbnails New Boots-gaerne-boots.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah man, those look nice! Have the right about of protection for shorter jaunts on the street. Do a review when you break them in!

Old 05-23-2014, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Just picked up a pair yesterday. I have been using Gaerne Boots on the street for years and those have been top quality so I hope these will be similar. Although they don't seem to have as much armor protection compared to the full MX boots I really wanted to get something that was waterproof-the last epic ride ended up riding home in a real downpour and my boots 'runneth over' if you get my drift. The only thing that may be a concern is that they don't have a steel toe guard and is doesn't look like there is a way to retrofit one onto them. I'll keep my toes crossed and hope for the best on that one.
BTW-Bikebandit had a killer deal on those last week at $185

Old 05-23-2014, 01:49 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
Just picked up a pair yesterday. I have been using Gaerne Boots on the street for years and those have been top quality so I hope these will be similar. Although they don't seem to have as much armor protection compared to the full MX boots I really wanted to get something that was waterproof-the last epic ride ended up riding home in a real downpour and my boots 'runneth over' if you get my drift. The only thing that may be a concern is that they don't have a steel toe guard and is doesn't look like there is a way to retrofit one onto them. I'll keep my toes crossed and hope for the best on that one.
BTW-Bikebandit had a killer deal on those last week at $185
Yeah, I would like a toe guard on them too. However, I wonder if there is something in the toe internally for protection? I can't compress the toe area on mine short of using a vise. And maybe all off road capable boots have this. Still, I guess the old style external guard provides some external protection for the boot itself if nothing else. On the other hand, I notice this Adventure boot doesn't have as much exposed or extended sole material sticking out in front of the boot. It's more streamlined with not so much "stuff" to catch on rocks or other objects. I think the lack of an external toe guard on this boot won't be a big issue.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

That's a good looking boot!

What are your impressions on width?

Ron

Old 05-23-2014, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Not to sidetrack this thread too much, but do you guys have some recommendations on breaking in new boots. I got a pair of Tech 3's last month that I have only wore once. I had a real hard time shifting. Is there anything I can do to help break them in before riding?

Old 05-23-2014, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a pair of Gaerne brown oil boots last year and have to say that they are the most comfortable boots my dogs have ever worn. Fit like a glove the first time I put them on; No break-in necessary. Gaerne make wonderful boots! Hope you enjoy yours TNC.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Back when boots weren't plastic, taking new boots into the shower helped to break them in quicker. Tech 8 boots broke in fast, my wife likes her tech 3 molded in sole

Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Not to sidetrack this thread too much, but do you guys have some recommendations on breaking in new boots. I got a pair of Tech 3's last month that I have only wore once. I had a real hard time shifting. Is there anything I can do to help break them in before riding?

You have a few options, blister your feet by getting them wet and letting them dry on your feet while you walk around. Just walk around for a couple days (wear them going shopping etc..)

Or do what I do, I don't use my ankle to shift anymore, I kick my whole leg up

Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I was watching a YouTube video earlier and the guy set them out in the sun for a few hours and then using his hands he worked the toe up and down to break them in. I might try that this weekend.

Quick Reply: New Boots