New Bike weird starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New Bike weird starting issue

I have alot of bikes, most all electric start.
This new 2012 klx 250s is weird. Push the starter button 4-5 times to get it started. Where any other bike I had once to start it.

Now ive read about cold start problems on older bikes, and about drilling the starter jet out. Which I happen to have those mico drill bits I use to drill out jets on small carbs.

But I had read in cold temps, were going through 80-90F temps right now.
Even after a 20 min ride, sits for 1/2 hr still takes multiple attempts to start. I dont even have 100 miles on it yet.

So am I experiencing the starting issues like the other bikes, or is it just how these start?
Makes it look like my brand new bike is old and ragged sitting there trying to start it forever

Ive tried not touch the throttle, slight twist while starting and a combo of that. Cant seem to find the magic way to get it to start without multiple attempts.

Have not tried the choke yet, only because of the temps dont think I needed to.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

use the choke to start her up just enough to when the rpm's bump up and then get to riding my 09 and 07 were bad at first getting it broken in will help as well as basic mods and jetting i didn't drill mine out i just went to a tm34pumper on both bikes and that took care of it for starting issues,

Old 09-15-2012, 02:45 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Mike, for some reason that could range from KACR operation to just plain manufacturing differences and tolerances, some KLX's are sensitive to cold start issues with the stock carb. Drilling the starter jet on these bikes does indeed help if not completely eliminate this cold starting issue. I don't think this is limited to the '06/'07 models. Rejetting with a DJ kit to the proper operating condition for your engine also helps, but it's the starter jet that really removes the cold start and choke operation. The Mikuni TM36 I just installed even offers different starter jets for their carb, so you can see it's not always a perfect scenario in carburetor land.

You're right not to twist the throttle during a cold start. That just lowers vacuum to help draw out fuel in the choke circuit or the pilot circuit. The stock carb is a CV carb not a pumper.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Mike, I'm up in Cbad. I always use my choke to start the bike. It's mandatory. Let it run a few seconds and push it back in. With only 100 mile on the odo, fresh gas will also help. Cooler day maybe 15 seconds of choke. "Cold" in San Diego, maybe 30 seconds on choke. It will sometimes sputter as you first ride off, but it clears quick.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC says it best. Use the choke even when it's warm, and if the bike still doesn't like to start drilling the starter jet usually does the trick. But if you're not in a hurry to tear the carb apart, try running some fuel out of the carb by turning the petcock off before shutting down (I used to turn the petcock off before finishing the last 1/8 to 1/4 mile home) and then opening it before starting, allowing fresh fuel into the carb. This helped me before doing the starter jet.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:12 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
TNC says it best. Use the choke even when it's warm, and if the bike still doesn't like to start drilling the starter jet usually does the trick. But if you're not in a hurry to tear the carb apart, try running some fuel out of the carb by turning the petcock off before shutting down (I used to turn the petcock off before finishing the last 1/8 to 1/4 mile home) and then opening it before starting, allowing fresh fuel into the carb. This helped me before doing the starter jet.
C'mon Scott...you know you also have to add deej's "rattlesnake shake" to make this method work or it's useless...LOL!

Sorry deej...I can never let this one go.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

see my old 2001 drz 400s I always used the choke when starting, but it was a used bike and had carb issues when I had it
at least this new bike the choke is in exactly the same spot as the drz so I know where to reach

ive been into newer scooters for 3 years and they all start right up, but then they have electric choke or enricher
and I also have a bone stock 1979 ct90, and bone stock 1981 c70 and those never had needed choke to start

so I was just thinking a brand new 2012 bike should just start up, in 75F+ weather without choke
but maybe im wrong then

its not a big issue for me, just wonder what many here consider cold start
overnight cold engine, or cold temps when starting engine

BTW right now it has to be 90F+ and riding for over an hour still took like 4-5 starts to get it running, no choke when I would stop and take a break.
But then sometimes it will start one push.

Oh well just got to get used to it

Old 09-15-2012, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Never owned a bike that would "cold" start without the choke. Well, not easily anyway.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

well maybe here just doesnt get as cold
this morning I started my ct90 after sitting for 1 week
maybe 2 kicks came on no choke and idled perfectly

of course its old technology points and 6volt

tomorrow I will try the choke on the kawi see if it starts faster
maybe make a video

Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm from SoCal and I'm using choke to start my bike with no issues since day 1. Starts everytime even when stored for a month.

Quick Reply: New Bike weird starting issue