Old 04-05-2014, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default need some new gear recommendations

all my current gear is street oriented
so, im in the market for a DS helmet, heavier boots, and maybe a jacket

helmet- all ive ever worn as an adult is full-face street
i guess what i want is marketed as DS or ADV helmets
full-face with a visor with room for goggles when i get to the trails
(never worn goggles, and eyeglasses adds further complication)
ive looked at and had my noggin in a Fly, HJC and a couple of cycle gear
the one i liked best in design was the CG "dual-sport" model
the visor was less "pointed" than the others, seemingly better optically
it also had the internal flip-down sun "goggle or shield" that worked with glasses
its right at $100, it looked OK in white, and also comes in a hi-viz option
i think i would even use it on the street because of the flip-down sun shield
(that is the answer to the problem of carrying tinted and clear shields)
im not really a fan of cycle gear, but this one had the features and fit good

boots- again, my 3 pair are all street and sport-touring oriented
i just feel i def want some with more substantial protection for dirt
ive tried several pair that are "light" MX, and i DO like the protection,
but, all were FAR TOO STIFF to walk any distance at all
they all were what what i would call a "space" or snow boot- all plastic
i want to be able to get off the bike and explore on foot as well
ive seen some refs to what might be called a "trials" boot recently
with less plastic and more leather, and def more walkable, sounds interesting
if they were giving them away...
the Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex Dual-Sport Boots would prob be my choice,
but $500 is just not in the budget
(PS- i do have a pair of sidi ST boots that ive resoled twice in 8 years)

jacket- on the street bike, i wear leather mostly,
heavy textile on tour, and tex mesh in the hot
as i will typically be riding street to get to the trails,
a MX shirt and armour is not a good option for me.
my mesh would probably be OK most of the time, (except for the hi-viz)
im thinking a really light mesh, replace the elbows and back with better
im in the southeast, so it will be both HOT and humid most of the time

pants- for now just heavy jeans with knee-shin guards on the outside

any insights or advice will be mucho appreciated. thx, - ben

Old 04-05-2014, 01:01 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

V4, a lot would depend on how serious your off road riding might become. And remember...just about the time you think you're riding along on a non-challenging dirt venue and nothing could go wrong...it does.

I too like what is becoming more traditionally called a "dual sport helmet"...full coverage, with visor, but a flipable face shield. There are lots of good ones now, and it's best if you can try some on to see how they fit your head shape. I use an AFX and am very happy with it, but there are quite few really good ones out there that aren't priced in the stratosphere like the Arai model that basically started it all.

On the boots, this is another area of how tough your riding will be. I will guarantee you this...you wear something less than real dirt bike/MX style boots and ride very much trail that is somewhat challenging, you're going to injure your ankle, lower leg, or foot way more seriously than if you're wearing something lighter. And I don't mean the riding has to be at the endurocross level of gnarliness. If you ride off road, you will hit things with your foot and/or the bike will fall on your foot. Last month while preparing our club's trail for the Concho National Enduro, I was just toodling along on a smooth, non-challenging piece of trail. I didn't notice a small cedar bush stump on the side of the trail in the shade. Even at low speed, the small stump knocked my boot off the peg, slammed the peg shut, and bumped the bike a couple of feet over from where it was. It hurt like heck, but without the MSR full MX boots I was wearing, my foot and ankle would most surely be in a cast right now. Just make sure you really weigh how "light" you go on the riding footwear.

Upper body wear can vary a lot, but if your riding escalates some actual singletrack, you'll want elbow and shoulder protection at least...and by that I mean armor at those points...padded armor.

On pants, you're wise to use knee/shin guards. One simple fall even on just a gravel dirt road will bear that out. I also like the hip pads in my pants to protect an old man's hips.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
And remember...just about the time you think you're riding along on a non-challenging dirt venue and nothing could go wrong...it does.

If you ride off road, you will hit things with your foot and/or the bike will fall on your foot... It hurt like heck, but without the MSR full MX boots I was wearing, my foot and ankle would most surely be in a cast right now... Just make sure you really weigh how "light" you go on the riding footwear.
TNC- thanks for your insights. its sage advice, and a point well taken

im sure i can find a decent helmet and jacket to suit my needs and budget

its the boots that are going to be the "Achilles Heel" (pun intended)

i DO want to be able to explore on foot as well, so finding the balance of protection and walk-ability is the issue.

but in all reality, a crush type foot injury in lightweight boots would sorta negate the desire and need for a boot that is good for walking as well.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Fly helmets fit me very well. I have 2, an MX for most of the time, and a DS for winter and rainy days. Best thing to do is try helmets on until you find one that fits your head. I like that my goggles fit under the faceshield. It does get hot with not as many vents as the MX helmet. And I prefer the longer visor on the MX as well.

The Sidi's were way out of my budget, but I bought them anyway. BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT! And they last! I've thanked myself many times. Once broken in they are comfy enough to walk in.

When I go off-road for a day, I wear 661 bicycle armor under a large shirt. I have a vest that has articulated spine protection and a sort of roost deflector. I also have hard plastic elbow/forearm guards, and hard plastic knee/shin guards. If I need to ride to get to the trail, I just put on a wind breaker over it. I'll take the risk of sliding on the road in my armor for the protection against slamming into rocks when "dismounting" off-road. I've rolled through a rock garden without a bruise, multiple times. Does it get hot? Yup. But it works, really well so I don't care. A jacket with armor won't cut it on real trail if you go down, it'll help but you could be better protected with real armor.

I used to feel naked riding in my armor (without my normal ADV/street gear), but now I actually feel better protected.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

There used to be many short offroad boots on the market. I picked up a pair of AXO Slammers, good for riding fire roads and street but lacking the full shin protection for real off roading. Easy to walk in and more flex for shifting. I wear them when riding my street bike also. As for helmet I like to were one of my dirt bike helmets as it looks the part. There are many nice enduro type jackets out there I wear a thor jacket that I picked up on sale. Check out Rocky Mountain ATV MC they have a great clearance section.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the fly trekker dual sport helmet in hiviz yellow. I like the helmet a lot. The visibility is much better in my periphery than riding with goggles. I have not tried riding with goggles under the sheild. The shield does not flip up flush with the visor, so that could be annoying if you want to ride with it up. The helmet is well constructed, vents work well for a 125$ helmet, and the color is great. You can see me from a mile away.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You should look at the Alpinestars Scout boot, they are waterproof, offer a good amount of protection and comfortable. Like said in previous post, it depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I think TNC is right. Maybe pack in some shoes?

I wear Gaerne Balance oiled boots on the street and I love them. They are designed as a trials boot. I would however fear riding them in technical terrain. The supple sole and outers would be a detriment out there.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Oakley makes L frame glasses for us tied to eyewear, fits well and doesn't push glasses into your nose

Old 04-05-2014, 04:50 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Former sport bike guy here used to wearing leathers, arai helmet, and sidi boots.

Found used gear on this site and advrider and wear afx ds helmet, sidi discovery boots, and darien light jacket and pants. I would buy forma boots if I did not have the discos.

Last edited by drm; 04-06-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: need some new gear recommendations