Need new battery, should I go with Lithium?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Need new battery, should I go with Lithium?

My 06 needs a new battery and I'm debating if I should just use an AGM battery or should I try a Lithium battery. I'm not worried about the weight savings of the Lithium, I just want a good quality battery that will last. I've had an AGM battery in my klr250 for the past 4 years from Motobatt and it has been 100% reliable. I've read cold weather can effect cranking ability of the Lithium batteries so I'd like to avoid that issue. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

ETX12A EarthX lithium battery

AG-801 • Antigravity Batteries
Antigravity Batteries the lightest most powerful and compact Lithium Batteries

Or Motobatt AGM

MBTX7U

Any other recommendations? Thanks, Fred.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I've put an SSB brand 220CCA battery in my KLX and rate it very highly. Although the KLX is only a 250cc, I would recommend going for a 220CCA or higher rated battery because I believe the older heavier engine bits make the starter draw a fair current. So the EarthX and Antigravity batteries you listed, but not the Motobatt coz it's only 115CCA.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it is likely more a case of do you have any electrical draw beyond the basic bike operation, how much money you want to spend and does the weight savings make a difference.

If you run electronics, it would be good to have more juice since most bike charging systems are marginal and near discharging at low rpm, the reason most battery manufacturers and OEMs recommend a fully charging a battery before installation. (Something we always did at the bike shop and Honda even made a special charger to maximize speed of charge without damage for new batteries. We sold fully charged batteries or would inform the customer the battery needed charged to reach 100% that it was only about 75% or so initially.)

If you have the extra money, why not? Of course it may catch on fire!
Just joking, according to this article that isn't likely, especially with a motorcycle charging system.

Then, of course, there is if you are trying to maximize weight reduction, I believe they're lighter... but then skipping the pie while riding would probably save weight too.

Having a KLX650 I can tell you the 250 cranks like a sewing machine at full tilt versus the 650, even when I've jumped the 650 with a car battery! The standard sealed battery in the 650 lasts 4-5 years. That little 250 piston isn't an issue. Just don't see any big deal with the starting unless you leave the key on while hiking or hanging out at a buddy's house. Ride it and it will do fine regardless of battery.

If I had the money to do it I'd probably do the lithium battery just because I could. I checked them out at a show one time, that's where I think I learned that they were lighter.

I will say when it comes to electrical strain from starting the following works wonders:
  • Get the proper pilot jet and mixture adjustment.
  • dump the Automatic Compression Release next time you're n the cam cover.
  • Consider doing the MCM, although I'm not so sure that affects starting as much as the jetting and poorly positioned KACR.

My bike would spin several rotations, no less than 5 seconds and often more like 15 seconds, when stock and could stumble and stall until warmed a fair amount. If it sat for some time it took longer. Lots of starter draw and use. Then after jetting, compression release disabled, and MCM (done at the same time, thus I don't know if that contributed a lot to the eay starting) the bike starts near instantly - 2 to 3 seconds. A rotation or two and it's running, ride away ready, choke off in maybe a minute. Just sayin' if starter issues are any concern this is one way to minimize the wear and tear.

Last edited by klx678; 05-17-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

if these lithium batteries are like the ones the last couple years
they will have some little balancing plug connector on them
thats the best, safest way to charge them

lithium needs a computer type charger, to charge each cell to the proper voltage

charging them as your bike does, all at once you can run down or overcharge a cell without knowing it

if they have a built in charger now, then sure use one but if you dont see anything about that I would pass

it may be smaller, lighter and more expensive
but if it fails when your far away from home out on some trail somewhere
or worse catch on fire from overcharging
remember all those laptops years ago lithium is flammable

my friend bought one for a small 125cc motorcycle
lasted a weel, one cell burnt out
sure it was super small and compact but cost him like $80

Old 05-17-2015, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you just talked me out of Li batteries even if I have the money!

Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I use alot of lithium batteries for my rc helicopters
and use the computer charger every charge

and I can get them pretty warm if overworked
ive had one start to short out and smoke because of the heat, and crappy wire used to connect them together
but caught it before anything happened

not sure what it looks like inside these motorcycle batteries how they are connected
if cranking alot would overheat any tiny wiring inside, or are they all connected together somehow with no wires?

I even use a special bag the battery sits in when charging, incase it catches fire the bag will contain it

now once they incorporate a computerized charger somehow into the battery, sure I would get one if I needed it, if it ended up at least lighter
smaller I dont care because you get too small its not going to fit right in the stock battery holder

and they are super expensive I dont mind replacing an acid battery every 4 years
for half the cost of one lithium

Old 05-17-2015, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, with the advent of the sealed gel batteries versus the old ones, life is way easier. Tip the bike over you don't have acid coming out of a breather. Gotta like that.

If a rider was really hyper over weight they could go to a kick starter, get rid of the electric starter and go to a small maintenance free scooter battery, like on the 50cc ones.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I got one of these for $100 PowerAll Supreme Portable power bank and 600-amp jump starter at Crutchfield.com

they claim it can jump start vehicles up to like 20 times on a charge
but this has built in smart charger so no worries about over charging
and on the positive clamp has some fuse where if you left it on a running vehicle too long it blows the connection
probably to prevent that lithium battery inside from super overcharging

I carry this on long rides just incase
plus can charge phones and gps with it too

Old 05-18-2015, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd like to be the guinea pig and try one of the Lithium Ion batteries, but I'm really not concerned with saving a few pounds. I have the 351 big bore kit in my klx along with the kick starter I installed awhile back. I'm more interested in a battery that is built with quality and will last. The bike had a crappy made in China battery in when I bought it two years ago and I'm surprised it lasted that long. Price is another issue as the Lithium batteries are 2x or 3x as much as an AGM battery. I won't go with a unsealed lead acid battery just because of spilling if the bike falls over and having to service cells. I really do like the maintenance free battery. I'll probably go with the Motobatt as I have had good luck with the one in my klr 250 even though that's a kick start only bike. That battery has survived being drawn down to below 11 volts while running my heated jacket on more than one occasion. It's always bounced back after being put on the battery tender.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Im running a Shorai..Its been great going on 3 yrs..cranks fast and starts cold or hot..
Light..small I haven't had it on a tender and I cant say anything bad..but they are $$$

Last edited by azdeuce; 05-19-2015 at 02:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Need new battery, should I go with Lithium?