Need aftermarket plastics for 2013 klx250s

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Werloc
Yes, should be the same. I'll send you pics tomorrow or Thursday. I keep my bike at my buddy's house an hour away. I'll be up there tomorrow or the next day. I'll send you a PM.
Thanks. I'm trying to sell my bike and it hard with my damaged plastics

Old 06-30-2015, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

You'd probably come out ahead by selling the bike for a little less than buying new plastics. Just tell the potential buyer if it's a concern they can replace them. Depending who the buyer is they may not care about the plastics.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, bought and sold well over 300 bikes in my day. That was part of my job for 29 years. It's either way on that. Most guys may see the bike as beat up and maybe ridden hard and kinda get spooked. First impressions are everything. But everyone is different. Personally, I'd say away from a bike that's beat up looking. But again, that's just me. Besides, I'll give him a very good deal on the set. It's up to him though. I really don't care if I sell them. I didn't even think about selling until I saw someone needing them, so I figured I'll help out and let them go.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:06 PM

Yeah, bought and sold well over 300 bikes in my day. That was part of my job for 29 years. It's either way on that. Most guys may see the bike as beat up and maybe ridden hard and kinda get spooked. First impressions are everything. But everyone is different. Personally, I'd say away from a bike that's beat up looking. But again, that's just me. Besides, I'll give him a very good deal on the set. It's up to him though. I really don't care if I sell them. I didn't even think about selling until I saw someone needing them, so I figured I'll help out and let them go.
Yea I believe it will help sell the bike as well.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
You're right. You'd be insane to try to start your own plastic injection molding company. Fortunately you can commission existing companies for an upfront fee and recuperate the costs by selling the plastic.

Even if that's a lot of work to organize and might be impracticable cost wise... You can easily find a 3d printing company to print it for a reasonable amount. (cheaper than OEM anyway). Durability being the drawback here I guess.
I reached out to QuickParts, inquiring about feasibility. Step one was to register. They called me the next day (I missed the call), then emailed. The parts I brake most often are the radiator shrouds and side plates (over the battery and muffler). My thought is to explore cost/benefit and volume options with these parts first, then look into fenders and headlight shrouds. I’ll let you know what comes out of the discussion.

I'm pretty sure there would have to be a reasonably high volume requirement to make this cost-effective, but it's worth inquiring about.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Anybody work in CAD?

Best customer service response times ever.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Michaelb2
I reached out to QuickParts, inquiring about feasibility. Step one was to register. They called me the next day (I missed the call), then emailed. The parts I brake most often are the radiator shrouds and side plates (over the battery and muffler). My thought is to explore cost/benefit and volume options with these parts first, then look into fenders and headlight shrouds. I’ll let you know what comes out of the discussion.

I'm pretty sure there would have to be a reasonably high volume requirement to make this cost-effective, but it's worth inquiring about.
Well, if you need people to step up and say they want this, count me in. Whatever I can do to help, just let me know.

BTW, Thanks for looking into this.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

To move forward I need a cad drawing of the part we want to start with. Saved in. STL format.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by roarjah
Thanks. I'm trying to sell my bike and it hard with my damaged plastics
Read the PM I just sent you.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, if you need people to step up and say they want this, count me in. Whatever I can do to help, just let me know.

BTW, Thanks for looking into this.
I bought a complete set of brand new OEM plastics with a forum member's kind assistance in Thailand, where the KLX 250S is produced.
Cheap as chips!!
You are being ripped off badly in the States for OEM plastics.
Probably cheaper to hop on a plane, fly to Thailand, bundle up a few hundred sets, ship them home and sell em, rather than tooling up and trying to produce.

Quick Reply: Need aftermarket plastics for 2013 klx250s