My klx vs crf250l

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My klx vs crf250l

I know this is an ongoing comparison but I wanted to add a real world comparison.
Last year after buying the klx I met up with some local guys, one if which rides a '13 250l. We road a few times together through the local forests and honestly both bikes did ok, the klx being able to handle whoops and large rocks better.
But on open straights both bikes were neck and neck. Maybe the crf was slightly ahead, but if so not by much. So....
This year I did all the mods. I was eager to meet up with this guy. We went out a few weeks back and feeling confident that my klx had a little more 'snot' now, I was eager to test the difference.
No difference!!!! What???? I couldn't believe it! In fact I was pissed!
So I started thinking. Then it dawned on me: he was running a 13 tooth front sprocket and I was running stock 14 with that oversized Kenda on the back and I'm at least 50 lbs heavier than he is!
So realistically I think the mods have made a big difference in the bike and with the proper sized tire and similar gearing even at my weight, I'm sure the klx would shine.
My son rides a yz125 and I couldn't catch him with mods done and stock 14. Last week I put the 13 on the front and all I can say is that he didn't really have the straight away advantage anymore. Slightly quicker but not as drastic as with stock 14. And he's also 50lbs lighter....
The moral of the story???? I need to loose some weight!!!!

Old 08-07-2014, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ianmcdca
The moral of the story???? I need to loose some weight!!!!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX-CRF comparison ended for me at the suspension... adjustable wins by several hundred dollars - more than the difference between the two bikes.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:04 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
The KLX-CRF comparison ended for me at the suspension... adjustable wins by several hundred dollars - more than the difference between the two bikes.
Ah, but Mark...you get more for your money with a CRFL...about 30 pounds more.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Matt, you crack me up.. Nearly shot coffee out my nose..

Old 08-08-2014, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt

Hilarious!

Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Ah, but Mark...you get more for your money with a CRFL...about 30 pounds more.
Maybe I should get a TU250 and get both that plus lower saddle height!

Old 08-11-2014, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

A local guy has one and I've ridden with him a few times. He's up on all the CRF stuff. He said some guys are bending the frame where the pegs mount. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd go with the 351 kit over losing the weight!

Old 08-13-2014, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

My buddy has a 250L. It's a nice bike for a non tuner who wants the dirt look and perfect for something to get you out in the woods. I was almost sold on getting one but I'm glad I went the Kawi route. The non adjustable suspension and more city bike feel doesn't do it for me. Everything about the ergonomics screams city bike, the levers, bars, rear brake pedal, just everything is odd. Albeit this is a bias forum but that bike doesn't inspire me to stand up and ride dirt. IIRC I think the bike only has one shock and one spring in the front forks too. When you sit on it the suspension is way stiff too. The klx, especially the rear, feels plush and ready to soak up bumps. The Honda has a really smooth engine I must admit...

Quick Reply: My klx vs crf250l