My head hurts

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My head hurts

Re: Gaining length for taller/wider handlebar mods using a KLX300 clutch cable. The Thumpertalk thread indicated the KLX300 clutch cable has a different size ferrule than the KLX250 and everyone in the FAQ seems to have different measurements for cable lengths claiming gains of 1/4" to 2.5"...???????????? What gives?

----------------------------------------1-------------------------------------------
+2" clutch cable KLX250 - KLX/KLR 125/140/250/300 - ThumperTalk

----------------------------------------2----------------------------------------

Attached Thumbnails My head hurts-capture.jpg  
Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a 300 cable on my '12. It had the same ferrule and was a bit longer, how much I don't know.
Seems the 300 cable might be shorter(or the same length) than the '06-'07 clutch cable.
I think people say it's x" longer because they used x" of bar risers, not taking into account that they might have gained length from a different routing (which is how I made my stock cable work with risers originally).

Old 01-27-2016, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
I have a 300 cable on my '12. It had the same ferrule and was a bit longer, how much I don't know.
Seems the 300 cable might be shorter(or the same length) than the '06-'07 clutch cable.
I think people say it's x" longer because they used x" of bar risers, not taking into account that they might have gained length from a different routing (which is how I made my stock cable work with risers originally).
Thanks. A parts check shows the same # for a clutch cable for my 2010 and the 2012 klx250s so I'll give a klx300 cable a try.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I also went with a 300 cable, my bikes an 09. I put taller bars on too.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Go back and read post #14 in the ThumperTalk post you linked...

Originally Posted by klx-vn
Re: Gaining length for taller/wider handlebar mods using a KLX300 clutch cable. The Thumpertalk thread indicated the KLX300 clutch cable has a different size ferrule than the KLX250 and everyone in the FAQ seems to have different measurements for cable lengths claiming gains of 1/4" to 2.5"...???????????? What gives?

----------------------------------------1-------------------------------------------
+2" clutch cable KLX250 - KLX/KLR 125/140/250/300 - ThumperTalk

KLX-VN,
If you go to the ThumperTalk post that you linked to above and scroll down to post #14, authored by me, I address the diameter of the ferule and include a picture of how the "smaller" stock ferule is made to be the same size as the Motion-Pro KLX300 cable.
Or, trust us, the KLX300 cable fits fine and is a couple inches longer!

God Bless,
TC

Old 01-28-2016, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I saw that and also noticed you were running on a 2012 while the OP in that thread had a 2010. Wasn't sure if the implication was the 2009-10 was slightly different. Still though, looking at that thread and "our" FAQ is beyond silly for a simple clutch cable :-)

Originally Posted by timc63
KLX-VN,
If you go to the ThumperTalk post that you linked to above and scroll down to post #14, authored by me, I address the diameter of the ferule and include a picture of how the "smaller" stock ferule is made to be the same size as the Motion-Pro KLX300 cable.
Or, trust us, the KLX300 cable fits fine and is a couple inches longer!

God Bless,
TC

Old 01-28-2016, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I get it.

Originally Posted by klx-vn
Thanks. I saw that and also noticed you were running on a 2012 while the OP in that thread had a 2010. Wasn't sure if the implication was the 2009-10 was slightly different. Still though, looking at that thread and "our" FAQ is beyond silly for a simple clutch cable :-)
Oh, I understand why you asked now. I have always just assumed the 09+ are the same and, for the most part, been correct. I think the other factor that may lead to conflicting reports is whose KLX300 cable you purchase. One aftermarket company may have measured a different cable for their specs and not necessarily be the same as another company's KLX300 cable. Then with running changes at Kawi and even mid-production changes in a given model year, even a stock KLX300 cable bought from Kawasaki may not be the exact length as the cable on a given sample of the KLX300???

My post was based on the purchase of a Motion Pro cable spec'd for a 2007 KLX300. And as stated, compared to the cable from my 2012.

TC

Old 01-28-2016, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I put bar risers on my 2011, and purchased the KLX300 clutch cable. Unfortunately, I did not measure the difference in length, but the KLX300 clutch cable was longer. I ended up also putting on an 'easy pull' (Moose Racing Easy-Pull Clutch System - Motorcycle Superstore) setup, which makes the clutch pull lighter, but has a side effect of effectively lengthening the cable, since it adds at least 3" itself.

So, if you want a lighter clutch pull, and want bar risers and therefore need a longer cable, i'd say just order the Easy Pull, and you won't need the longer clutch cable, and you get a lighter clutch pull as a result. with the easy pull AND the longer clutch cable, I ended up re-routing the cable in a way that prevented all that extra cable length from being an issue.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Which one did you order? I don't see one specific to the 250s. Thanks!

Originally Posted by rgmr250
I put bar risers on my 2011, and purchased the KLX300 clutch cable. Unfortunately, I did not measure the difference in length, but the KLX300 clutch cable was longer. I ended up also putting on an 'easy pull' (Moose Racing Easy-Pull Clutch System - Motorcycle Superstore) setup, which makes the clutch pull lighter, but has a side effect of effectively lengthening the cable, since it adds at least 3" itself.

So, if you want a lighter clutch pull, and want bar risers and therefore need a longer cable, i'd say just order the Easy Pull, and you won't need the longer clutch cable, and you get a lighter clutch pull as a result. with the easy pull AND the longer clutch cable, I ended up re-routing the cable in a way that prevented all that extra cable length from being an issue.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgmr250

Cool, I have had the Moose Easy Pull Clutch unit on my ebay watch list for a few months now. Also the Magura Hydraulic Clutch Kit, which is $225 bucks. Kinda leaning towards the Magura Hydraulic setup due to no big box unit on the cable with the Moose unit. The hydraulic looks cleaner, and thinking it's just a better setup. My clutch is very hard to pull in, and gives me major arm pump and cramping after a few hours of technical single track riding. I normally ride pretty hard for 6 to 8 hours on the days I ride. They don't list a kit for the KLX, but I'm sure I can make it work with little bracket mod from what I see. If you don't mind, could you post some pics of yours and give me an honest opinion on how it works? How much easier is the pull, is the pull still long enough to work well, etc..?? I'm still on the fence. The cable unit is much cheaper for sure.

Quick Reply: My head hurts