My hands go numb.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey All,

I appreciate all the sugestions. Riding on the dirt is no problem for me. It is the pavement that does it. Sometimes we will ride about 20 miles pavement to get to the trail head. I guess I could be gripping the bars too tight, but I don't think so. I have been riding for 30 years and I have never experienced anything this bad. Maybe I'm just getting old. (Don't tell my boys I said that!)

Craig

Old 01-03-2017, 01:14 PM
mvs
1st Gear Member

I have that problem, too. I got the Progrip 714 Grip. It is softer than the waffle grip. I have the hand guards so I expanded on the idea of an anti-vibration device. I got 6" long 5/16" bolts to replace the end mounting bolts on the hand guards. I put 3 nuts on the inside tip of the bolt to act as an counterweight to combat the vibration i was getting in the grips. It worked very well for me. My last ride I did not have any hand tingling or numbness. Cheap, concealed anti-vibration device.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

You all need to learn how to ride like this.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Any problems with Carpel tunnel? I have it and did not realize how bad it was till I started riding last summer. 15-20min of pavement riding and my hands were asleep. After getting it checked out the doc suggested B100 vitamins and massage therapy and it's better. Not gone but dedinetly improved.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Craig, I really think it's age. I've never had much trouble with numb hands until I hit 57~58 years old. Hell my hands sometime cramp up or go numb during my hour drive to work in my truck. I just try and always remind myself to keep a loose grip unless I have a reason to hang on. Also seems to help if I keep my thumbs away from inside of grip and kind of hang outside edge of palm off the grip. I sometimes just pull in the clutch and shake out my throttle hand and work my fingers and vice versa.
Fred

Old 01-12-2017, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

My hands will go numb after a few hours only for the first few rides of the season. Like after not riding for 3 to 5 months during the Winter. Right now, I only have the KLX and ride 99% dirt. All of my life since I was 17 until 5ish years ago, I had and rode both street and dirt. The more you ride, the less often your hands will go numb. Very light grip is a must. Same as those super small seats on bicycles. These road bike cyclist's ride all day long on a seat no bigger than your wallet. It's something that will go away in time. Best thing to do, is just go out and ride more, period.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Werloc,
I have always had a road racing bicycle and before I got an indoor trainer to put it on I would take the winter off. It would take me about two weeks to get used to that seat every spring and not be in pain. I like your thinking on that and I have not ridden motorcycles much for the last couple years.

I have a 2007 Gas Gas EC200 I'd be willing to part with, suspension lowered an inch front and rear by race tech. I have a buddy with a GG EC300 but he lives in Florida now. I could ask him if he'd be willing to part with it...

Old 01-13-2017, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

You mean for me? Thanks, but not ready yet. Money is super tight right now with the Holidays only a few weeks behind us. Plus I'd need sell my KLX to have enough to fund a new (to me) 2-stroke. I wouldn't even think about listing it for sale until Spring. Just not the right time to sell. To many listed now and none are selling. I appreciate it though.

LOL, I used that example cuz an hour before writting my post, I had to move my old mountain bike in the basement, and thought to myself, man, I couldn't be comfy on that little seat these days....LOL It's not much bigger than the seat post itself..... But, I was, cuz I rode a lot, and would get use to it if I started riding it a lot again. Yeah, age has some doing, but really making it longer to get use to. The more you do something, the more your body adapts to it. Just ride and give it time....

Last edited by Werloc; 01-13-2017 at 02:08 AM.