My bike was Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My bike was Stolen

Hi Guys

Experienced a unfortunate event Wednesday morning.
Woke up to find that my bike had been stolen from my girlfriends garden

Looks like the thieves hopped up over the 6 foot fence into the garden ripped the padlock off my gate, snapped the steering lock and wheeled the bike out the garden.

Almost every night I stick two disc locks on my bike one xena alarmed and one standard abus disc lock. That night I just completely forgot to stick them on the bike. This leaves me to think that my bike was being watched!!

Later that morning I actually received a phone call off my sister who happened to walk past it on her way to college. Here's how we found it!

I called the police who then made a report, they failed to come to the property to investigate, doesn't look like they will take it any further. I suppose time will tell. I will be in touch with my insurance company and see how I get on with them.

Make sure you guys keep yours locked up and out of site, don't make my mistake.

Name:  image_zps6bf4a9ae.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  image_zpsa2a38cdb.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  image_zps8d333ed7.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  image_zps79d5abcb.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  image_zpsdc89d2a2.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  122.1 KB

Name:  image_zps8688c46c.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  97.0 KB

Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member

That sucks!
Is that crash damage or theft damage or both?
Might want to look at the hospitals for someone with some road rash...

Old 02-13-2014, 11:34 AM
1st Gear Member

wow i wonder what is their motive of stealing the bike and doing that. did they wanted parts? or could it be sabotage?

anyway, i installed an alarm for the bike for around USD50, its a motion alarm, even if someone were to try to sit on the bike, the alarm goes off and that person would be running for their lives. i have it on my scooter too and it prevented someone from stealing it few years ago, they only managed to stick a screw driver in the ignition and then ran off after the alarm triggered.

even with pad lock, they can still lift the bike up onto a lorry and drive off. alarm is a better option for me though they could still cut the wires which is under side covers.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
That sucks!
Is that crash damage or theft damage or both?
Might want to look at the hospitals for someone with some road rash...
Looks like damage from theft, I don't think they could get the bike started.
There's no scratches down either side of the bike.
I think they broke the headlight to access the wires behind that in attempt to maybe hotwire the bike??...

All the wires have had a clean cut through them so they must of come prepared with tools.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Been there done that. Had mine stolen twice. First one because I forgot to lock it, second one they dragged it off WITH disc locks!

First one I had that was stolen never showed up. Only had 400km on the clock!!! I owned it for just a few days. Second one showed up 3 days later in a forest 300m from where I live, the electrics were ****ed, the disc brake was bent and all the plastics ruined. They bent the disc so much they couldnt ride it trying to get the lock off...damage was done though. I had insurance but deductables and repairs were still a pain in the *** for a poor student like me.

Now, I have 2 disc brake locks, one with alarm, a chain and I am looking to purchase a highend GPS tracker(Dont bother with the cheap ones, they drain the battery)

Sucks to live in this city with these people around
They dont even steal them for profit, they just steal them and ride around and abuse them until they dont work anymore, then they toss em and steal a new one.

Your damage looks similar to my damage.
Name:  QYgjA7j.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  728.3 KB
Name:  PMpr4pp.jpg
Size:  628.1 KB
Name:  1uS2OEq.jpg
Size:  866.8 KB
Name:  Gv4WW9c.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  751.1 KB

Last edited by Nikolaj Lykke; 02-13-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke
Been there done that. Had mine stolen twice. First one because I forgot to lock it, second one they dragged it off WITH disc locks!

First one I had that was stolen never showed up. Only had 400km on the clock!!! I owned it for just a few days. Second one showed up 3 days later in a forest 300m from where I live, the electrics were ****ed, the disc brake was bent and all the plastics ruined. They bent the disc so much they couldnt ride it trying to get the lock off...damage was done though. I had insurance but deductables and repairs were still a pain in the *** for a poor student like me.

Now, I have 2 disc brake locks, one with alarm, a chain and I am looking to purchase a highend GPS tracker(Dont bother with the cheap ones, they drain the battery)

Sucks to live in this city with these people around
They dont even steal them for profit, they just steal them and ride around and abuse them until they dont work anymore, then they toss em and steal a new one.
Sorry to see that Nikolaj, I have the same problem in my area.
Everyone of my friends have all owned motorcycles in the last couple of years. Sadly all those have been stolen at some point.

With the price of the cars, insurance and petrol in the uk it would be near impossible for me to afford and run a car, that's why I have a bike.
Now it's going to cost me in the long run with loss of my 3 years no claims and higher premiums if I was to insure another motorbike again. The thieves however get away with everything.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah police dont do anything here either. The first bike of mine that was stolen was actually found a few hours later by a landlord close to where it was stolen from. I got a call from the police saying the landlord found the bike and they gave me his number. They didnt even bother to send a car up to keep a watch out! Ofc, by the time I got on the bus(I dont have a car either) and managed to go to that place, the thieves had ridden off again!!! If the police had sent a car there immedietly I would have gotten my bike back probably, but because they are useless sacks of ****s, the thieves got away with my bike and I never got it back. Instead of solving real crime and catching criminals, they are busy making sure cyclists have lights on and that people dont speed by 10km/h. How ridiculous!

I highly recommend a GPS tracker, it means you can find the bike quickly (hide it well though) and there is a chance you can catch the little ****s who steal bikes too. Even with all the locks on my bike, it doesnt give me peace of mind because my bike was also stolen with locks. I cant actually keep an eye on my bike from my apartment, so GPS tracker helps to give me a peace of mind. You have to be lucky to recover a bike in this city. Usually they ride em until they break down and then set fire to them.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I wonder if that 100 ohm resistor in the starter circuit is doing its job, because they certainly got to enough wiring to do a normal hot wire?

Old 02-13-2014, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke
I highly recommend a GPS tracker, it means you can find the bike quickly (hide it well though) and there is a chance you can catch the little ****s who steal bikes too. Even with all the locks on my bike, it doesnt give me peace of mind because my bike was also stolen with locks. I cant actually keep an eye on my bike from my apartment, so GPS tracker helps to give me a peace of mind. You have to be lucky to recover a bike in this city. Usually they ride em until they break down and then set fire to them.
I have seen them, and from what I have read they are expensive for the subscription monthly/annual cost's etc...
This also doesn't prevent the theft or the damage caused to the vehicle but will obviously find your stolen vehicle once taken.
It would be incredibly satisfying to catch them in the act though.

That's the usual case in my area too, get drunk, steal a bike, rag it around, burn it out. Rinse and repeat every weekend. Tw*ts!!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I don't get the point of stealing a bike to destroy it .. Even if you can't get it started, bring it home sell it in pieces! I don't know. Although i'm glad you found it, some people have nothing else to do.

Hope you get her running again!

Quick Reply: My bike was Stolen