Muzzy Status?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Muzzy Status?

Hi all!
For two months I've been checking muzzys.com and it still says new site

under construction and almost finished. New products coming soon.

I go to factory Kawasaki guru Rob Muzzy's facebook page and find he is retired.

I check the online yellow pages for Muzzy Performance and says permanently closed... Anybody know anything? Did someone buy him out? Will products still be of excellent quality? Teething troubles? I don't know...

I guess at this point my second choice to a full Muzzy exhaust for my KLX 250s would be the Yoshimura slip on...

Is it sacreligious to put a Yoshi part on my Kawi? Being as Pops Yoshimura was Suzuki and all, hehehe.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

They all make stuff for all makes. Do the Yoshimura if you want. The off road Kaw guru would be Mitch Payton and Pro Circuit, though. They've been either factory support or factory effort for a couple decades. Unfortunately they don't appear to offer a pipe for the KLX250/300.

Don't forget most anything that fits a KLX300 will fit the 250, for sure from 2006-08, and I think some have fitted to 2009-up since I believe the mounting is the same. Key words, "I think" and "I believe". Didn't verify.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, yep Mitch Payton is the motocross guy. Rob Muzzy is a road race guy. He was making Kawis win when they were the last two valve per cylinder 1,000. Pretty much any Kawasaki that won a Superbike championship was tuned and built by Muzzy. I figured since 250cc is one cylinder out of a 1,000... Well, who knows... I'm sure there are many differences, least being boreXstroke. And yep, Pro Circuit doesn't make a pipe for ours. Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2016, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

How about Four Stroke Works? They've been making pipes for the KLX's for a long time.
FourStrokeWorks - quality products and services for four-stroke motorcycles

Ride on
Brewster

Old 06-23-2016, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Brewster! I forgot about Four Stroke Works, formally Strokers started by Larry Roeseller I think. The website did not look promising as it was outdated.

I called and talked to Jerry, the head honcho I believe. Head pipe is mild steel made on a 250R jig (big flow I've read). Muffler is hand made as well. USFS approved screen type spark arrestor, powder coated green (or whatever you specify).

They have the credentials, I may send him a check. They take money orders, checks or pay pal.

Head pipe is $155 US and muffler is $350. Anybody have any reservations on this selection? That is a good price in my humble opinion.
Fred

Old 06-23-2016, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

At for a little cheaper or the same price, you could have a full FMF system - Megabomb+ PowerCore 4 or QuietCore 4..

The real issue for me is whether or not FSW offers a heat shield for their header - A good heat shield for the Megabomb is an expensive carbon fiber offering from FMF(looks a little small) PLUS a universal "straight section" from E Line.

Both together will perhaps protect well enough.. ARL figured out a way to put the stocker on the Megabomb but has never been clear on how to obtain the clamps he used..

Last edited by Klxster; 06-23-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I looked at the FSW header a while back. Any idea if it will mate up with a DG-O slip-on?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure it won't Hoot. The DG-O carries the same nipple O.D. as the stock header. Judging by the photos, the FSW carries a larger O.D. - as you would expect of a performance header..

Last edited by Klxster; 06-24-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I was hoping it was just full diameter instead of "stepped up" like the factory piece. I think my factory pipe is something like 1.25" od, but the connection is 1.25" id. Whatever the wall thickness is on this tubing maybe the pipe id is like 1.125". Why couldn't it just be 1.25" the whole way? Factory stock connection size, just larger tubing id before that? Pipe dreams???

Old 06-24-2016, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

The FMF slipons require you to remove that stock exhaust "gasket" in order to slip into the bell. That is how much bigger those midpipes are on the FMF's and also how much bigger the FMF headers are.. The FMF headers have the same bell as the stock header but with a larger pipe, so not much "step down" at all. Even if you got a larger performance header, and mated it to the DG-O, you'd loose power everywhere - don't ask how I know this..

Quick Reply: Muzzy Status?