MotorKote

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default MotorKote

One of the local radio stations in Detroit features Car Talk, and one of the products they continually rave about is Motorkote. This is a substance that you add in with your oil every four oil changes and it absorbs into the metal parts of your engine and transmission. I did a bit of research on this product and decided to add it to my bike this spring when I changed the oil and filter.

All I can say is, wow, what a difference after a few hundred miles!

Three improvements:
1. Significantly better high RPM response--bike is definitely peppier
2. Engine noise noticably reduced at higher RPM
3. Fuel economy boost of about 5%

There is a pretty convincing video of Motorkote on YouTube.

I know I am going to get some responses like "snake oil," etc., but I tell you I have added this stuff to my lawnmower and truck and have had similar results.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

What will it do to your clutch?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

If you want more info on the product do a search over on bobistheoilguy.com

Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by doum
What will it do to your clutch?
That could be a LITTLE (?) problem.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

There was something like that for sale during the recent bike meet here in the Philippines. I think I looked it up and reviews were less than 50% positive..

But, the Amazon reviews for MotorKote all seem very good. (I always look for reviews of a product on Amazon)

I guess a dedicated biker could add the MotorKote and after some miles, switch to new clutch plates..? I do have a set of Barnett clutch plates waiting on the better clutch springs to arrive before I install it all. I'll have to check out the MotorKote website and see what if anything they say about using it on wet clutches.

Greeting to a fellow MI member StriFry I used to live 20 miles west of Pontiac before retiring and moving overseas

Old 07-20-2014, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I have not noticed any change in the clutch performance. The product says it is safe for motorcycle use. Before I added it, I did a bit of research and several other OEM forum users are using it, several thousand miles, with no effect on the clutch. If I notice something going on, I will update the thread. I usually ride several thousand miles a year, so if something is going to happen it will happen soon.

To Richard, I am in the Flat Rock area, about 50 miles from where you used to live. Happy riding.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stirfry300
...I know I am going to get some responses like "snake oil,"...
You already know it is the case. This stuff comes out every now and then. Remember Slick50? Duralube? They all said the same stuff and they all got sued by FTC and lost. If this stuff really did something, it would already be in all motor oils and we would all be using the best oil in the world because it has this magic stuff in it. The initial "my engine sounds better" is just a short term gain. What's going to happen long term? I can pour almost anything into my engine and still get 100k miles out of it. How many vehicles have you had, how many miles did you put on them, and how long did you keep them? For the masses, these numbers are low and additive companies use this to make money off you. My last 7 vehicles made it to 100k+ miles on dino oil before I got rid of them. At $30 bucks a quart, these guys are laughing all the way to the bank. They'll make their money and be gone shortly.

You might recognize this test setup:

These all sound the same:

Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
If you want more info on the product do a search over on bobistheoilguy.com
Brien,
Can you give a specific link? I just found forum stuff there with what looked like a lot of the typical internet tribal knowledge. "It's great, more hp, mileage, motor lasts for ten million miles..." and "my motor blew as soon as I put it in...better mileage from lightening my wallet...oil additives are all BS...it's 28% chlorine..."

Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Another thing to consider is how any additive might affect engines that have cylinder deactivation designs...Mercedes, GM, Chrysler, Honda, and others. Many operate with a very narrow oil type/viscosity range to make some of those systems work. No, it doesn't apply to the KLX, but it's in the general discussion.

Agree with most of the comments about most/maybe all additives being unnecessary and/or completely worthless. Quality oils already have some amazing additives in them. The only aftermarket additive product I use is one that has the heaviest dose of PFTE (telflon) that I can buy. No, I don't use it in any of my engines. A little dab in a motorcycle or MTB's fork oil seems to ease the natural stiction in most applications...not adding enough to screw with the damping characteristics. And it's also handy for some other lubrication duties in a light application.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I've been using this on my truck for the passed 350,000 KM, (2001 Toyota Tundra v8) and i've never had an issue with it, and no real gain ... My truck is now at 513,854 KM and still running strong hardly burning any oil, so, it seems like it's doing what it's suppose to do. Just my 2c.

Never tried it on a motorbike, but I thought i'd share.

Quick Reply: MotorKote