MOSFET R/R mounting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default MOSFET R/R mounting issue

Has anyone installed a Shindengen R/R in a KLX250s/sf successfully?
Seen one? Got a picture? I can't mount it like the OEM due to frame interference. I am brainstorming for a solution and hoped somebody on the forum has seen a good fix before I do my own.

Edit:I found a ghetto fix and did it. One bolt very tight and the other, while misaligned, allowed for a large zip tie to go through and around the new r/r and frame. Should hold at least for street duty. Wiring is almost done. Testing the charging system tomorrow night most likely.

Last edited by snappster; 12-27-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Aside from splicing the new harness connectors, the only other challenge would be making a bracket assm to bolt it to the chassis-some fabrication will be required.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I got the new R/R mounted and hooked up to the stator. The output plug has two wires, red and white for the pos. and neg. battery terminals. Only problem I have is what to do with the three wires that used to be hooked up to the old R/R, besides the ones from the stator. W, BR, and Bk/Y wires. The charging diagram shows the Bk/Y going to the (-) and the other two connecting and going to the (+) and the ignition switch. I am wanting to make them connect as in the diagram, but instructions have me leaving those 3 wires disconnected and insulated. I am no electrician. Looking at my Magna it appears that I left the old plug disconnected from my old R/R when I installed a MOSFET on it and she charges fine. Has anyone on this forum installed a Shindengen MOSFET R/R who can help me out?

Edit: Jack at roadstercycle.com got back to me superfast telling me to leave the old wires disconnected. The bike runs and charges as intended. 14.27V at the battery at 2000RPM. This is my 2nd R/R from Jack and he is a straight up guy and will go out of his way to help out a fellow rider.

Attached Thumbnails MOSFET R/R mounting issue-image.jpeg  

Last edited by snappster; 12-28-2016 at 12:38 AM.