Mods,mods,mods,and more mods!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Mods,mods,mods,and more mods!!!

Guys my head is spinning from all these different power mods I'm reading about (snorkel remove, air mesh cut out, crankcase hose change, air box lid removed, 20 different jet kit mods, better air filter, etc.) I think these are all cool but then I think about low budget and the fact that a lot of you are riding dirt.

My question is what's really necessary for my purpose???
All I wanna do is have power on the road so I can go highway if I need to (as dumb as that sounds on a supermoto) and honestly... I just wanna be able to pop a wheelie with out having to do stuff with my gearing that causes me to lose a lot of top end. By the way I already have a tbr slip-on.

What do you guys think I should do to improve the STREET performance of my 09klx250sf???

P.S. Thanks for Putting up with my stupid novice questions lol

Last edited by Lawnica1; 08-12-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i removed my screen, smog and put in a twinair filter. basically removed the lid and had my bike dyno tuned. with a 2bros slipon. it came back a different beast. it will cruise 75 no problems. and second to third clutch wheelies not a problem. just so you know without maybe dropping a tooth in the front or adding a bb kit your bike will not power wheelie. and if you have a slipon with no jet kit. jet it asap. your bike is probably running super lean.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

i have a 340 bb, air box lid removed, two brothers full (selling), 15t up front, and 132 main and 2nd clip. Hauls a$$, and was crusin with my friend at 90 mph on his gsxr, with a little left to pull. stock air filter, stock mesh. that little garbage is too mcuh of a hassle to be worth anything.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

how do you like that 340 kit? do you have a picture of the jug? are the coolant passages a little bigger then the 351? any overheating issues?

Old 08-13-2010, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think the mesh cutting is necessary, but a better filter I think is. Jetting and carb mods are pretty much a must along with a better exhaust system. The crank hose probably doesn't need to be done, but if you have the parts go for it. There are some here that have and haven't done that one.

If you want wheelies you probably need to at least change your front sprocket. If not, then you'll just have to learn how to put your body into it.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

jetting, maybe a pipe if that not enough. a 351 just scoots you around faster.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

With the 350 kit the stock air filter runs the same as a uni filter. Maybe over oiling the filter might make it feel different. Wife and I couldn't tell if it made any difference...

Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lawnica1
Guys my head is spinning from all these different power mods I'm reading about (snorkel remove, air mesh cut out, crankcase hose change, air box lid removed, 20 different jet kit mods, better air filter, etc.) I think these are all cool but then I think about low budget and the fact that a lot of you are riding dirt.

My question is what's really necessary for my purpose???
All I wanna do is have power on the road so I can go highway if I need to (as dumb as that sounds on a supermoto) and honestly... I just wanna be able to pop a wheelie with out having to do stuff with my gearing that causes me to lose a lot of top end. By the way I already have a tbr slip-on.

What do you guys think I should do to improve the STREET performance of my 09klx250sf???

P.S. Thanks for Putting up with my stupid novice questions lol
You can go on the highway right now. You just have to allow longer to get up-to-speed or pass. This bike is what it is. None of the bolt-on mods, including large bore, will significantly increaser your top speed....it's just the nature of the beast.

Now if you're talking about better acceleration, quicker passing and being able to hold your speed/gear on up-hill grades, that's a different story. Even my 300cc kit and exhaust made a big difference in that regard....so in that respect, yes, it's more slab worthy than it was before. The biggest practical difference I've notice in that regard is being able to pass without having to allow a gazillion miles for oncoming traffice (or getting a long headstart) and cranking up a steep hill without having to get in the slow lane or on the shoulder. Even stock displacement with proper jetting and exhaust made a noticable difference in that regard. Bumping-up to 300cc was a smile inducing kick in the pants! Kawasaki should have stayed with 300cc when they went to the dual sport KLX, IMHO.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Top speed, highway, wheelies, no dirt...that sounds Ninja stuff to me !

Old 08-13-2010, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stellar_d
I don't think the mesh cutting is necessary, but a better filter I think is.
I would cut the mesh out before I changed the filter. I don't/didn't see anything wrong with the stock filter, but removing the mesh (look at it, it takes up A LOT of space) made a far bigger difference than I expected. The pipe (with jetting), and the backfire screen were the 2 most significant mods I did, as far as performance is concerned.

Quick Reply: Mods,mods,mods,and more mods!!!