Moab 4-27 thru 5-12

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

TNC:
We're trying to squeeze in on the May 6-8 weekend. We'll be camping, and the free BLM camp is spot on for our liking. This looks like 8 to 9 hours from Boise. The prelim plan is leave Thursday early afternoon, ride Friday and Saturday, and Sunday if we can get the time off. I've never been there, but the mule owner has.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:45 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Let's definitely try to hookup for some riding and maybe even camp in the same area. Let me know as time approaches. You'll love it.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Suggestions

A few of us Illinois boys are planning to be at Moab starting June 15th, so will not be able to hook up with you all.

I've been there a few years ago mountain biking and one other guy has done a few days jeeping there earlier this year.

Needless to say, I didn't even scratch the surface of what's there to ride on my bicycle.

My bud did the White Rim trail in his jeep and said it ought to be decent on a motorcycle.

Any suggestions for us flat landers? (We actually have hills, but they're small compared to the western mountains.)

I'm currently running Kenda Trackmasters front and rear on my KLX250 which work well here on our sometimes muddy local trails. I'm wondering, though, how well they'll do on the varied Moab surfaces, guessing they might be an advantage on sandy areas, but wondering if they'll be a liability on the slick rock.

The Kenda 270 does okay on local trails until you encounter mud, but great on paved surfaces and dry dirt.

Can you recommend either of these tires for the Moab trails?

We're planning to camp at Moab and do day trips, but might camp one night on the White Rim Trail.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oldad, our post was back in 2011. On tires, the Trakmasters will work well out there. You'll need those knobbies for the sand in the area, and just about anything will stick on the slickrock. I wouldn't recommend the 270 for the sand.

White Rim is a great ride and easily done for a day ride on a dirtbike. You probably won't be able to spend the night because you have to have a permit. Those permits are usually gone well in advance...many months usually. Check with the BLM office in Moab to be sure.

Do you have the Lat 40 map for this area? Pick one up when you arrive if not:

Classic Moab Trails | Latitude 40 Maps

For rides I'd recommend 7-Mile Rim...Hurrah Pass...Chicken Corners...Gemini Bridges with its many fun off-shoot trails...Gold Bar Rim...Poison Spider...and many more.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Moab has some of the most fun riding I've done.
Went a couple years ago(but on a lighter 2 smoker), and used a half worn knobbie.
Traction was not an issue on the rocks, it spun a lot in the sand by the end of the week.
The trail out to Monitor & Merrimac buttes is a fun loop.
Slick rock is a must do, and nearby is Fins & Things.
Sovereign Trails network is wonderful single track.
Trials type, rocky "step ups" are plenty. Fun on a light bike, the Klx might be a bit less nimble with its extra weight. ADV rider had a thread with a good description of some trails. Do a google search for "trails at Moab", it should turn up something.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:30 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eric B
Moab has some of the most fun riding I've done.
Went a couple years ago(but on a lighter 2 smoker), and used a half worn knobbie.
Traction was not an issue on the rocks, it spun a lot in the sand by the end of the week.
The trail out to Monitor & Merrimac buttes is a fun loop.
Slick rock is a must do, and nearby is Fins & Things.
Sovereign Trails network is wonderful single track.
Trials type, rocky "step ups" are plenty. Fun on a light bike, the Klx might be a bit less nimble with its extra weight. ADV rider had a thread with a good description of some trails. Do a google search for "trails at Moab", it should turn up something.
I don't know, Eric...I don't think I'd recommend Slickrock trail for most riders, and especially on a KLX. Doable?...of course...but I think most will find Slickrock a scary, off camber, steep challenge as opposed to riding it on a mountainbike. I'm not dissin' oldad's skill, I don't really know him, but you have to be a really good rider to navigate a few of the crux spots on Slickrock with a dirtbike. Trials riders seem to have more fun on Slickrock.

The same might be said of two or three spots on Sovreign. Overall that trail is a hoot, but as you know it has some crux spots that will get your attention. Like many of the true singletrack trails in the Moab area, overall they are challenging fun and a great ride. Some of them contain only 2 or 3 crux spots that will stop many riders on the wrong bike. Just throwing that out for consideration.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Timeless

Originally Posted by TNC
Oldad, our post was back in 2011. On tires, the Trakmasters will work well out there. You'll need those knobbies for the sand in the area, and just about anything will stick on the slickrock. I wouldn't recommend the 270 for the sand.

White Rim is a great ride and easily done for a day ride on a dirtbike. You probably won't be able to spend the night because you have to have a permit. Those permits are usually gone well in advance...many months usually. Check with the BLM office in Moab to be sure.

Do you have the Lat 40 map for this area? Pick one up when you arrive if not:

Classic Moab Trails | Latitude 40 Maps

For rides I'd recommend 7-Mile Rim...Hurrah Pass...Chicken Corners...Gemini Bridges with its many fun off-shoot trails...Gold Bar Rim...Poison Spider...and many more.
Yes, I realized it was 2011 after posting the reply, but figured that not much has changed at Moab since then.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:27 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oldad
Yes, I realized it was 2011 after posting the reply, but figured that not much has changed at Moab since then.

Thanks for the info.
You're wrong, oldad. Obama was saying just yesterday that due to global warming, income inequality, and conservative hate speech, the rocks and canyons of Moab are shrinking in size at a rate of at least 3 feet a year. In another 10 years it will look like Kansas. I saw it on MSNBC.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TNC
I don't know, Eric...I don't think I'd recommend Slickrock trail for most riders, and especially on a KLX. Doable?...of course...but I think most will find Slickrock a scary, off camber, steep challenge as opposed to riding it on a mountainbike. I'm not dissin' oldad's skill, I don't really know him, but you have to be a really good rider to navigate a few of the crux spots on Slickrock with a dirtbike. Trials riders seem to have more fun on Slickrock.

The same might be said of two or three spots on Sovreign. Overall that trail is a hoot, but as you know it has some crux spots that will get your attention. Like many of the true singletrack trails in the Moab area, overall they are challenging fun and a great ride. Some of them contain only 2 or 3 crux spots that will stop many riders on the wrong bike. Just throwing that out for consideration.

Good points, TNC. I was on a KDX, which was perfect for the trails out there - short wheelbase, low gearing, lighter weight. Very confidence inspiring.
I recall an easier 4 wheel route through the Slick Rock system. Perhaps that could be used, to at least get a taste of Slick Rock.
Gemini & Gold Bar are good calls.