Might be trading the klx250sf in...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, but I dont use the klx for off roading at all... Just city/country/highway roads. I love the nimbleness of it. I've been doing a lot of research about the 300. They say its maybe mid gear at highway speeds. They say it's a lot better then the 250. But, like I said I won't know for 100% sure if I want it till I test drive it.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
I've been wanting to trade my klx351sf in for a whle now, either for a dr650 or an xr650l...but can never make up my damn mind.

My buddy rides a ninja 300, he likes it, wishes he he a supermoto though. He doesn't ride any freeway so the bike isn't good for him. It'll do 110 I think. I beat his *** off the line up to about 40mph
I wouldn't do either, I'd do a DRz400 first. I have a KLX650, but probably would have done a DRz if they'd been around back then. Sure a sixth would be nice, but they can do the job without it, especially in SM attire. Gear it up and go. If you could find a really clean KLX650 they are still the king of the 650 dual sports from Japan even being out of the U.S. since 96!

If you were in an area where it was legal to do so, an XR650R supermoto'd or dualsported would be incredibly cool. They can handle the road use.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by azdeuce
Really.. Go big or go home.. Your not gaining that much..
Step up bigger.. But like said keep the KLX. Save up for a bigger bike
My .02 I have a really nice Harley It's a great fun road bike about 25 k into it..
But I really like jumping on the KLX and someday I will sell the Harley but never the KLX
A man with my ideals! I actually went further off the beaten path. I'm selling my streetbike to go supermoto with my KLX650 and have the 250 for dual sporting.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

^^^ ya good combo.. I run my KLX like a super moto.. I have Pirelli tires on it, FMF pipe/ Header.. Etc..It is a blast.. My Harley is really a show bike. And ya fun to ride. I've had it 11 yrs.. But I'm getting older and it's getting heavier . I bought the KLX so when I do get rid of the Harley I will have a bike.. And next year I'm getting a 32 Ft. Motor home and traveling for a few Mo. Years.. And yep the KLX will be on the back.. You hear a lot of Folks talk about the big 650s are heavy not the KLX.. And also hear a lot of guys going back and getting one after they sold there's ...

Old 04-24-2014, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

A DRZ400 would be an improvement & a ninj300 would probably be a little better than the DRZ but neither of them really solve the problem for easy highway cruising!

If your going to the trouble of selling your bike, then a 500+cc bike would be the only true solution that you won't get bored of in 6 months & would be perfect for the highway IMO

Old 04-24-2014, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

What about the new Yamaha SR400(OK, I said it, Yamaha) kick only, EFI, and standard upright position?
A custom bike waiting to happen. Or just a good all around bike.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member

idk, honestly Im just to scared on the bigger bikes. I said it im a *****. Specially with the turning it's a whole new mechanic. Like I said i'm only 5.6, if I don't feel comfortable then i'm not getting it. with the 300 it's a 30.8 seat hight. and the handle bars are upright. So, i'm not hunched over all the time.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Ninja 300 sure is a sweet looking little bike, if you decide to head in that direction, do yourself a favor and get the ABS model. It WILL save your bacon some day. I have had lots of different bikes over the years. 550 Nighthawk, ZX7 Ninja, DT100, RT180, KLR250, KDX200 and currently Valkyrie & KLX. Don't worry too much about "turning", it will come natural with a sport bike, countersteering seems strange but you'll get used to it.

Like you I am vertically challanged (5'6") and have adapted well to all kinds of bikes. Last year I did a 2 day course @ FAST Racing School FAST Riding School Home Page - Welcome! and fell in love with sport bikes again after a 20 year break. Thinking I wanted a more upright riding position I chose a 650 Ninja for my ride. I was quite impressed and could live with this bike as my only street ride, look at this before buying the 300, not intimidating at all and easy to handle power. But for the track I used it all up by the end of the first day and was told I had to change to a super sport for the following (more advanced) day. Needless to say the GSXR600 was a much better track bike!

So, after this long winded post, only you can decide what kind of riding you currently are into and if street and highway are your thing at this point in time, the Ninja would be a better tool for the job, 300 or 650 or whatever you decide your comfortable with. Love my KLX but it's not a great HWY cruiser, thats what the Valkyrie is for. But if you can't afford 2 bikes, the Ninja is a better choice for sure. Good luck and enjoy the test ride!

Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

i've been testing riding every bike i can get my hands on to figure out my next bike...

drz400 is more of a workhorse...top heavy and cumbersome, but gets the job done....the 5 speed is capable of highway cruising speeds and acceleration without problems, but it's really buzzy, so keeping daily eye on the oil level is a good practice...i really didn't like the drz for highway cruising and it was really clunky/heavy to maneuver at slow speeds in city traffic...it feels like a chevy colorado if i were to compare it to a car...

ninja 300...has 10+ more hp, but much heavier...for highway, it'll go the cruising speed needed, but acceleration felt worse than the klx...it struggle up mountains at speed and downshifting is frequent just like the klx...kind of reminds me of a toyota celica...looks fast, but isn't...

honda cbr500f would be my ideal commute bike...it heavier than the ninja 300, but it has the power and torque to handle the weight and rider....it's like a honda accord....it's not bad and gets you from point a to b of any distance...

Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I've heard the 300's are pretty fantastic. Like you, I wish the klx was as comfortable going 65+ as it is going 5-45. Low speed maneuvering is such a joy on the klx.

If you're looking to do more highway, 650's get my vote. Very comfortable. The extra weight stabilizes the bike. 75mph is a breeze. Power for quick passing is abundant (everyone else on the road is an a$$hole unless they prove otherwise). You can find used Ninja 650's for very reasonable prices.

I love my SF. But ideally, my next bike will be a Street Triple (R). I'll be test riding one in the near future. Needless to say, I don't mind wind,)

Quick Reply: Might be trading the klx250sf in...