mcm cam change

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default mcm cam change

hey all,
i have been reading many info about the mcm.
i still do not understand the change itself done to the cam. after the engine cover removed, i unbolt the cam sprocket and rotate it while the cam chain is on it? i really need an explanation on the act itself.. what does it mean to rotate.. how and what about the chain?

Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry buddy.. The MCM is not for anyone unsure of any detail necessary to succeed. All you have is our sticky and a few members' recipe - those of us that did it successfully, studied the MCM thread until we were sure of success. Your question above indicates you do not understand the basic tenet of advancing the intake cam and retarding the exhaust cam. Not to mention how we do it by manipulating the cam gears.

Last edited by Klxster; 10-18-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thekeeper199
hey all,
i have been reading many info about the mcm.
i still do not understand the change itself done to the cam. after the engine cover removed, i unbolt the cam sprocket and rotate it while the cam chain is on it? i really need an explanation on the act itself.. what does it mean to rotate.. how and what about the chain?
The cam chain is nothing magic. It is simply a set of identical links, so there is nothing special about how the chain goes on the sprockets. It is all about setting the cams while the engine is at TDC. Same process as done when re-shimming valves, since the cams have to come out to do the process.

One does not actually have to understand the why, just be able to bolt the cam sprockets on in the right position, then install them in the right position. Marcelino did a full write up on his investigation of the situation, what he learned, then what he did and why when he did the cam re-timing. The only important point for anyone who wants to do the change is to know what is done.

When the Marcelino Cam Modification information is condensed down to what is done, where it is only the steps of doing the work, it isn't really that hard to do. But the work does require the actual mechanical skills of being able to make sure it is done properly.

The worst part is simply dealing with getting the teeth in the right place while the crank is at TDC. Getting the cams set on the chain can be a tad confusing, it is easy to be a tooth off or the wrong direction, but getting the marks set up the way the pictures show, 2-1/2 teeth off in the proper direction, makes it near impossible to screw it up by simply looking at them after positioning the cams. If one can do a re-shim of the valves, one can do the MCM. After all, when re-shimming valves, one still has to be able to properly position the cams with the marks horizontal to the head surface upon installation. Verify the proper setting after installing cams by rotating the intake backward by hand to pull the cam slack out of the front run, or reinstall the reset OEM tensioner or adjusting the slack out if you use a manual tensioner - make sure the marks line up 2-1/2 teeth counterclockwise on the intake and 2-1/2 teeth clockwise above horizontal to the head surface, again like the pictures.

I condensed the process down to the steps with a few comments relating to the compression release and put it in a Google document. The link is in my signature. If there is a question then, skip doing the process. The only reason anyone has any concern with the cam chain is that they don't want to drop it down into the engine. If you do, then you have to fish it out with one of those telescoping magnets or the like.

Last edited by klx678; 10-18-2014 at 11:47 PM.