Manual says remove rt side engine cover to replace clutch???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Manual says remove rt side engine cover to replace clutch???

Hi guys!
Do I have to remove the whole ride-side cover to change out clutch plates? The manual says you do.
Is there something that would prevent me from doing this by just removing the clutch cover???
I have only changed a few other clutches and did not have to remove entire side cover...

TIA,
TC

Old 08-07-2015, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I did my 2009 clutch without removing the whole side cover.

This tutorial shows removing the whole side cover, but he may have just wanted to inspect stuff inside while he was part way into the case anyway?
https://livetorideblog.wordpress.com...replacement-2/

Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I think that it says that because the manual is referring to the entire clutch assm(plates, basket, etc.) vs. just replacing the friction parts. It is possible to service the plates by removing just the clutch cover-just lean the bike over on its left side to prevent any oil spills.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys,
Closer exam of the manual and the tutorial mentioned above, it looks like the only challenge is to get a sufficient hold of the clutch basket to loosen (and later re-torque) the nut on the shaft in the center of the clutch basket...

rgmr250,
Did you have any trouble doing that? Did you use an impact wrench? Were you able to put the bike in gear and hold the rear brake to get that center bolt loose?

GBAUTO,
Yeah, i have the case drained of oil, replacing a broken shift lever shaft assembly...

I am afraid that even if a made a tool to go into a couple (or three) of the gaps of the basket (where the friction plate tabs go) that they might bend when torquing the nut to 58 lb/ft as the manual specifies.

Is it simply easier than it looks to hold the basket when loosening and tightening the center nut?

Thanks!
TC

Old 08-08-2015, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by timc63
Thanks guys,
Closer exam of the manual and the tutorial mentioned above, it looks like the only challenge is to get a sufficient hold of the clutch basket to loosen (and later re-torque) the nut on the shaft in the center of the clutch basket...

rgmr250,
Did you have any trouble doing that? Did you use an impact wrench? Were you able to put the bike in gear and hold the rear brake to get that center bolt loose?

GBAUTO,
Yeah, i have the case drained of oil, replacing a broken shift lever shaft assembly...

I am afraid that even if a made a tool to go into a couple (or three) of the gaps of the basket (where the friction plate tabs go) that they might bend when torquing the nut to 58 lb/ft as the manual specifies.

Is it simply easier than it looks to hold the basket when loosening and tightening the center nut?

Thanks!
TC
I'm pretty sure I used an impact wrench. This sounds familiar - about removing the main cover to get sufficient hold (using some special tool) of the clutch basket to loosen the bolt. Using an impact wrench made the job pretty easy/quick.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgmr250
I'm pretty sure I used an impact wrench. This sounds familiar - about removing the main cover to get sufficient hold (using some special tool) of the clutch basket to loosen the bolt. Using an impact wrench made the job pretty easy/quick.
Sweet, thanks!
Waiting on parts now...

TC

Old 08-11-2015, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

When I removed my clutch I simply parked the bike in its kickstand and had my wife stand on the rear brake. The correct socket with a cheater bar took the nut right off. No problem.

Depending on where you live my wife could come over and stand or your brake pedal, or someone else's wife could do it.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
Depending on where you live my wife could come over and stand or your brake pedal, or someone else's wife could do it.
I'm sorry, but that's ^^^^ funny to me.

Last edited by dan888; 08-12-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default THAT is Funny!

Originally Posted by taxonomy
DITTO!!!! Oh my goodness, THAT is funny!

Oh yeah, the actual advice is good too... I have been able to bust loose the C/S sprocket nut by putting it in gear and standing on the brake so it makes perfect sense as the clutch nut takes a lesser torque.

Thanks for the tip and the laugh! (Dang i am still laughing!)

TC

Old 08-13-2015, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

"My wife is too small. Anyone have a larger one I can borrow?" Now those are words you don't hear very often.

Quick Reply: Manual says remove rt side engine cover to replace clutch???