Longer Cables

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Longer Cables

After searching through a maze of posts I'm looking for some insight. I need to add risers to my bars to make it a bit more comfortable when I'm up on the pegs and after mocking up the bars it's clear that I will need longer cables.
I'm sure that the KLX300 clutch cable will do the job and after searching p/n's for the throttle cables it looks like the 300 uses the same pull cable as the 06/07 but it has a different closing cable.

Has anyone used the 300 throttle cables or the 06/07 250 cables on an 09+ model???
They all use the same carb so that end should be the same but I'm wondering if there is a difference on the throttle housing end.

Anyone know???

Last edited by GBAUTO; 10-29-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Look under "longer clutch cable" in this thread. GaryC has some good reports for 2009+ bikes using the KLX300 clutch cable to add a couple inches.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...33/#post462072

Last edited by IDRIDR; 10-29-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

And some of us aren't even using a push cable with the 36 pumper anyway.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
And some of us aren't even using a push cable with the 36 pumper anyway.
Thad,
I worked with my local dirt bike shop to send my stock '06 pull cable to motion pro for a 3-inch extension. Motion Pro had a very difficult time accepting that I was not also ordering a push cable. We gave bike and carb models, and they insisted I needed both. We explained, multiple times, that the Acerbis tank prevented using the push cable. It took a while. I almost thought we were going to need to order a useless push cable.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Thad,
I worked with my local dirt bike shop to send my stock '06 pull cable to motion pro for a 3-inch extension. Motion Pro had a very difficult time accepting that I was not also ordering a push cable. We gave bike and carb models, and they insisted I needed both. We explained, multiple times, that the Acerbis tank prevented using the push cable. It took a while. I almost thought we were going to need to order a useless push cable.
Lawyers and liability...if they were supplying a carb kit with cables, a whole bike, or something along those lines, I can understand their thinking. But when you just order a cable, it's really not their business if you're using it on a lawn mower or a AA fuel dragster. Unless their end product had a serious flaw or failure rate to indicate that "they"(Motion Pro) were negligent or reckless in some way, whether or not you have a push/return cable rests with the end user.

Scenario...you're doing a big Colorado mountain pass with a huge drop off on the trail while riding with a single pull cable setup. Your throttle sticks and you go off the cliff and are killed. Your family hires the snake oil lawyer to sue anybody and everybody. The carb on your bike has no push/return cable...or perhaps even has the push/return bracket hacked off like mine and IDRIDR's. Without falsifying everything or just fabricating evidence, a law suit will be hard to sustain. And if someone is that hell bent on a suit that they're willing to lie, steal, and fabricate the substance for a suit, then almost nothing a manufacturer can do will stop scoundrels like that from at least trying to sue.

On the other hand, maybe MP was just trying to make you really think about running a single pull cable in a kind of warning. You know me, Scott. I was riding in the days when people didn't even know what a push/return cable was. Recreational riding, serious racing, and everything in between, I've never had a runaway throttle situation that wasn't handled by pulling the clutch. Even then the throttle was only yanked open by a screwball situation where the cable was seriously pulled crashing into some trees or something along those lines.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I used a clutch cable from a late model (gen 2) KLR650. This was 100mm (4") longer than the stock one on my Oz model KLX. I had to resort to ordering the 100mm extra length throttle cables from MotionPro. They couldn't understand why I didn't want a clutch cable & a second push throttle cable (I ordered 2 pull cables so I had a spare on hand.)

Old 10-30-2014, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

After doing some disassembly, I have another question about the throttle cable. The oe pull cable has a guide assm. and I can't find any pics of the earlier models(250 or 300) to see if I can use them. Anyone remember if the 06/07 has a curve built into the cable on the throttle end?

Old 10-30-2014, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

It's a good thing I take so many photos when I'm tearing stuff apart. No curved guide in my stock 06 cable.

I think this photo should answer your question.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

That is what I was afraid of. Looks like a custom pull cable is the only way. I wish that mp listed tech specs for the stock cables so i could try and match something. Guess a call to tech support to see if they have a off the shelf p/n that I could match up for the push cable-I think that 3" over stock should be about right.

Last edited by GBAUTO; 10-31-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, I finally finished up the cables on my '12 and the +3 pull cable from Motion Pro fits perfectly. I ended up using a push cable from an early model KLR650 and it works fine after cutting off the adjuster sleeve on the throttle end. I ended up routing the cables around the l/h side of the frame and it's much cleaner. The clutch cable from a KLX300 works just fine and allows the 1 1/2" risers to fit perfectly.
I'm sure my back will thank me for the effort.

Thanks for all of the assistance.

Last edited by GBAUTO; 11-22-2014 at 03:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Longer Cables