Long Distance Touring on a KLX250s

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Long Distance Touring on a KLX250s

Im looking at doing some touring on my KLX and wanted to know who else out there has done any long distance travelling and how it went. I did a 2 day 650km trip on gravel roads and trails this summer. I originallly thought my *** and back wouldnt last, but you actually get use to the small ride pretty quickly.

Im looking at doing a trip to inuvik next summer and potentially looking at a Mongolian adventure on the KLX. Things am concerned about include: Gas tank size and engine durability on freeways.

Anyone have any experience on these riding long distances?

Cheers!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I have done a couple of 2 and 3 day "tours" covering no more than 200kms in a day. All dirt tracks.
But, we had a support vehicle so we didn't have to carry anything other than some tools etc.

I'm sure the bike will get the job done.
If someone can go touring on a TW200 towing a trailer

I find this bike not much fun on long highway hauls.
If i was doing a lot of that type of riding I would want something bigger and more suited.

But if its mainly off road then the KLX's being light and easy to manage will help at the end of a long day.

I think the engine and running gear are up to the job.
It might not feel at ease at speeds over 100kph but it won't quit on you.
Maybe taller gearing would help.

There are a few gas tank options.
Clarke, Acerbis and IMS all have larger tanks for the KLX
http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...&cPath=1_7_144
But you would probably still need an auxiliary tank of some sort.
This might be an option.
http://bandbcyclerestorations.com/Home_Page.html

There are also some good dirt bike saddle bags available.
I opted for these.
http://www.dbzproducts.com/

Good luck with what ever you do and don't forget, keep us in the loop and we like pictures.

Last edited by neilaction; 08-02-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

As of yet there is no ready to mount larger gas tank for the 09 model. There are some posts about making one work with modifications but the result IMO looks pretty cobbled. B&B is working on a 1.1 gal aux tank for the 09's. I don't know if those are ready or not. If the majority of your riding will be trails, dirt or gravel roads I think you could use this bike. If you plan on riding alot of highway miles I'd look into a KLR650, or one of the BMW, KTM or Buell adventure bikes.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Windshield would be a big help, I have a Slipstreamer Spitfire I like a lot.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I have just started setting up mine for adventure touring. I added a set of Wolfman side bags and top duffle, a fender pack with spare tube and tire changing tools, a small bag mounted to the rear rack, and picked up a set of spare rims so I can run Kenda 270 on the street/dirt roads and have off road tires waiting for when I wanted to go play single track now and then.

I also have the larger Clarke tank and put on a stock KLX300 exhaust (I have the 300cc kit installed) along with the stock rear sprocket (down one in the front) for highway cruising. I can do a GPS verified 70-75 MPH comfortably. I do not find wind to be an issue really for a couple of hours.

My only pending item is a place to mount a couple of MSR fuel bottles, even with the Clarke tank and stock exhaust I am on reserve at about 120 miles, so some spare fuel would be nice.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I purchased the large rear rack from ebay (im really impressed with it) and have ordered a taller 15T front sprocket. As for gas I have a few MSR bottles (2x500ml) but I think I will just rig a plastic container to the rack. I ordered Conti-escape tires for more long distances on the road.

I use to have a KLR and took it from Canada to Cabo last year, I never felt fatigued on the bike, but it was a beast on the single track. I love the KLX on the single track (a bit under powered) but so fun to throw around.

I kept my ortleib bags from the KLR, love em, but am worried the KLX exhaust will melt them. The dirt bagz look great but a bit $$$. Im waiting for a new tank that properly fits the 09, so we will see.

That being said I have seen ride reports of people taking 150 and 200cc bikes around the world, so Im hoping I can get a few long rides in without having to look for a new bike. Id like to go through russia and mongolia one day and I think a 250 is much better suited than a 1200 gs. Although ive been eyeing the 800gs a bit...

I get some pics out for sure once I get my bike loaded! Remember keep em dirty:

Name:  McleanCreekRide028_800x600.jpg
Views: 9497
Size:  156.0 KB

Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

all depends on the size of your *****, ive done ~330 miles of pavement in one day, ~170 mostly all dirt, well over ~200 for some one day rides with both slab and dirt. check my sig for ideas of whats possable.

you can get the 06-07 tank to fit an 09, keep the speeds sain on the freeway and your good. wind against your body shouldnt be a problem at this bikes crusing speed.

cant wait till november, probally going back to death valley and im going to try my darnedest to ride mostly dirt out.

Last edited by punkenduro09; 08-02-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Here I am going camping.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Looking good with gear!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice Ride and Ride Reports punk - Im also digging the Wolfmann Tank bag, I think Ill pick one of those up and see if I can rig up some cheap panniers with drybags.

I ordered this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09...Q5fAccessories

But havent had a chance to mount it. It its VERY well built, sturdy and powder coated - Very good mod for the 09.

Last edited by durden; 08-02-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Long Distance Touring on a KLX250s