Linkage and swingarm pivot bolts - best grease to use

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Linkage and swingarm pivot bolts - best grease to use

I'm servicing the rear linkage & pivot bolts this weekend. Swingarm pivot is pretty tight but thankfully is moving. PO's appear to have never taken it apart from factory to regrease.

What's the absolute best grease to use for these bolts?

Old 04-15-2016, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I used marine grease on everything.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:52 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Just to clarify, you ask about grease for the linkage and swingarm pivot "bolts"...but you mention a somewhat tight swingarm pivot action. I'm pretty sure you're aware that most of the smoothness in the action of the swingarm and linkage comes from the proper service and greasing of the actual bearings contained in those components.

That said, it's a good idea to put a light of lubricant on the bolts too to keep them from seizing in the inner bearing races that they come in contact with. I use a thin coating of antiseize on the linkage and pivot bolts. It will ease removal for the next service and never allow the inner bearing race to seize to the bolt.

For the bearing grease, I go with a quality marine grade grease, as it tends to shed and deal with moisture better than most other wheel bearing greases. You don't need high temp, high speed wheel bearing grease. These linkage/pivot bearings are not moving in an environment like that. They deal more with pressure, dirt, and moisture.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Bearings are always included when servicing rear suspension linkage & swingarm shafts. I assumed everyone knew that. Maybe not...

The bearings and shafts never get enough grease from the factory. On top of that, this bike was left out in the elements for a year or two by PO. I am lucky both shafts broke free.

Good tip about using antisieze on the shafts themselves (vs grease).

Old 04-15-2016, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Having this discussion on another forum too. Most people think their bikes aren't greased enough from th factory, but the reality is that they are. They just don't receive service the way they should. Most people will WAY over grease their bearings in installation, but in the case of swingarm, and steering head bearings, the speeds and loads are so small, it won't really matter.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by queen of spades
Good tip about using antisieze on the shafts themselves (vs grease).

Not so much on the shafts but on the nuts and the threaded end of the bolts. Antisieze is abrasive and will wear bearing if it finds its way in and mixes with the grease. I just grease the bolt before installing then use antisieze on the nuts and threaded portion of the bolt.

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 04-16-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy
Not so much on the shafts but on the nuts and the threaded end of the bolts. Antisieze is abrasive and will wear bearing if it finds its way in and mixes with the grease. I just grease the bolt before installing then use antisieze on the nuts and threaded portion of the bolt.
Well, you're not supposed to slather the antiseize on the bolt shafts like cake icing...LOL! Just a light coat on the bolt shafts with the brush. A little goes a long way. There's no way for it to get into the bearings if applied properly. Another benefit of using antiseize for this kind of application is that it doesn't attract dirt and dust as badly as grease.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy
Antisieze is abrasive and will wear bearing if it finds its way in and mixes with the grease.
Anything other than the same grease will cause wear if it gets in there, but I'm not sure why you'd say anti seize is abrasive. It's a lubricant.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
Anything other than the same grease will cause wear if it gets in there, but I'm not sure why you'd say anti seize is abrasive. It's a lubricant.
My understanding is antisieze contains small particles that stop non moving parts from seizing. Use it on moving parts will accelerate wear.

An informative link. http://www.engineersedge.com/materia...view_13389.htm

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 04-16-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Have used anti seize as a lubricant for many years. Some info from a manufacturer of anti seize

http://www.antiseize.com/pdf/why_use_an_antiseize.pdf

Note the typical applications at the bottom

Quick Reply: Linkage and swingarm pivot bolts - best grease to use