Last week's crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Last week's crash

Well, I wasn't riding my KLX, but my friend was riding it (so, I figure it still 'qualifies' to get posted here) behind me and got some good footage of me wiping out on a wooden bridge on my 2010 Husqvarna TE250. I really like the bike, but occasionally, it will just 'bog' down. This time it bogged right at the start of the bridge, caught me by surprise, then it caught and revved up and off went the bike, and down I went. Luckily, I wasn't injured, and only 1 piece of broken plastic on the bike. Footage from behind (on the KLX) starts at about 1:00

Old 04-01-2016, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Ouch! Right on the ribs. That had to leave a mark.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

WOW, that camera angle from behind was crazy!

It's a good thing you're not riding in PA, there would have been a panel of stump gnomes, (yes, related to garden gnomes), that pop out when you crash with score cards held above their heads.

I'll venture a guess that you would have got a 8.5 for that one. That half twist gainer at the end was dayhum impressive. Hella difficulty score booster.

Hahahaha, but seriously tho, glad you'e OK. Clutch it quick or lay the throttle into that husky!!!!

Last edited by toggleswitch; 04-02-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Cuz I dun sPell it left, 'er I meeN right!
Old 04-02-2016, 08:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toggleswitch
WOW, that camera angle from behind was crazy!

It's a good thing you're not riding in PA, there would have been a panel of stump gnomes, (yes, related to garden gnomes), that pop out when you crash with score cards held above their heads.

I'll venture a guess that you would have got a 8.5 for that one. That half twist gainer at the end was dayhum impressive. Hella difficulty score booster.

Hahahaha, but seriously tho, glad your OK. Clutch it quick or lay the throttle into that husky!!!! When in doubt, GAS IT! LOL
Usually, I ride with one finger on the clutch, ready for it, but this was a relatively flat, easy section, so I wasn't ready. I actually tried to gas it when it bogged down, then caught and took off, which is mostly why I went off the bridge - I'm sure part of it was being surprised it happened, which threw me off mentally (and physically - off the bridge).

Old 04-02-2016, 09:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure the moss didn't help either, beautiful landscape there, but I can only imagine how damp and slippery the hard wood runners on that bridge were. Watching that get off moment was pretty scary, but I was rather impressed with the ninja like reflexes used to divert the falling tree branch. You hit hard and still hard your wits about you. That was bad ***. Just saying.

So, I'm all about getting rid of that bog, jetted lots of scoots that have suffered from flat spots and other related issues... yours was rather pronounced, as if it was about to shut off. What can ya tell me about the scoot? Buy it new? Has it an aftermarket exhaust full system, header or slip on? Were there jet changes to the main or pilot circuits? How about the airbox, was it changed in anyway?

If you are the first owner, then we can safely assume that it's OEM inside the fuel delivery system. If not, it needs to be inspected to ensure that someone hadn't made changes for their particular sea level location. A few twists on the air / fuel can cause less than stellar throttle response.

If it is 100% bone stock, that I'd like to see what the common denominator is when the bike displays the bogging / near stalling engine condition. I'm confident that can be corrected without too much fuss. Again, and with all kidding aside, I am very glad you weren't injured. Pain sucks. It sucks even more it's mechanically induced as opposed to the good old, "Hey watch me do this ****" type of crash. Now is the time to make sure the Husky doesn't put you in that spot again.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toggleswitch
I'm sure the moss didn't help either, beautiful landscape there, but I can only imagine how damp and slippery the hard wood runners on that bridge were. Watching that get off moment was pretty scary, but I was rather impressed with the ninja like reflexes used to divert the falling tree branch. You hit hard and still hard your wits about you. That was bad ***. Just saying.

So, I'm all about getting rid of that bog, jetted lots of scoots that have suffered from flat spots and other related issues... yours was rather pronounced, as if it was about to shut off. What can ya tell me about the scoot? Buy it new? Has it an aftermarket exhaust full system, header or slip on? Were there jet changes to the main or pilot circuits? How about the airbox, was it changed in anyway?

If you are the first owner, then we can safely assume that it's OEM inside the fuel delivery system. If not, it needs to be inspected to ensure that someone hadn't made changes for their particular sea level location. A few twists on the air / fuel can cause less than stellar throttle response.

If it is 100% bone stock, that I'd like to see what the common denominator is when the bike displays the bogging / near stalling engine condition. I'm confident that can be corrected without too much fuss. Again, and with all kidding aside, I am very glad you weren't injured. Pain sucks. It sucks even more it's mechanically induced as opposed to the good old, "Hey watch me do this ****" type of crash. Now is the time to make sure the Husky doesn't put you in that spot again.
It wasn't too slippery - I've ridden out there when there's frost and snow on the bridges - then they're really slippery (like this one:
)

The bike is a 2010 Husqvarna TE250 - bought it in the fall with 388KMs on it. It's fuel injected, has had the 'power up kit' installed (from the factory, apparently they run really badly, until you install the included 'race kit' (throttle stop removal, O2 sensor removal and plug, Cat removal, silencer upgrade, airbox restriction removal, swap 42 for 50 tooth rear sprocket - and I swapped the 13 tooth front for a 12.) I have a JD Jetting 6X EFI tuner on it, which has helped, but I still have that bog on occasion when I chop the throttle and then get back on the throttle. More fiddling with it might help a little more. Apparently, if you install a 12-hole injector and the TXC250 ECU it eliminates the bog, but that kit is something like $500 or $600. A friend of mine (expert rider, been riding and racing for 30 years) says his KTM does almost the same thing - I think his is a 350SX (motocross model), and when riding motocross, you're never riding slow technical stuff. For whatever reason, he prefers that model (for this technical single-track riding), but said chopping the throttle too quickly often causes it to stall.

I usually 'get ready' and cover the clutch with one finger, but it was a relatively flat spot and an easy bridge, so I just wasn't prepared for it.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yamma Hamma! Glad you're ok. Crazy footage, and that branch!