Klxster's CDI Ignition Curve Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Kawasaki determined that the combustion chamber design/cam profiles and timing/induction and exhaust systems/ of the KLX would perform quite adequately with all fuels and altitudes, with a simple 25° curve.

...and at the same time help with emissions. Why else would they continue to produce different CDI boxes for the same bike in different countries. The bike was originally designed with the 35° curve-- there must have been some sort of efficiency benefit to that, somewhere-- even if its only on paper.

If 25° curves came with absolutely no strings attached, it seems they would have likely ceased production of the 35° modules and started using 25° CDIs in every country's 250s. Its simple economics.

It may indeed turn out to be a futile effort-- since seeing the thread about the module from its manufacturer, and having it get snuffed out so quick, it doesnt look good for the home team. If anyone had a real reason to put the work in to show results from it, you would think it would be the guys selling it.

I was actually taken aback that they would actually be that honest to post what they did and cite zero measureable difference-- talk about good guys.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Josh128

I was actually taken aback that they would actually be that honest to post what they did and cite zero measureable difference-- talk about good guys.
They're Canadian, they have no choice

Old 06-06-2016, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

The problem was that they did not test on a motorcycle dyno. I did. There was improvement with "35". I'm quite sure the stock "25" is totally inadequate for all KLX's that are modded for performance.

I'm sure the 35 degree curve would be more beneficial to a bike running less mods than mine - no MCM, leaner fuel curve, snorkels, etc, because such bikes would require more advance, than mine, due to slower flame speeds.

Last edited by Klxster; 06-06-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Ragehard.. is a perfect example - non-MCM, stock header, 2bros slipon, lidless with K152, stock spring and slide on a N1TC@2N - his bike is running apparently superior power levels with a curve I cannot run, 40 all in at 3k rpm. If only he had a "cheap" dyno nearby...

Last edited by Klxster; 06-06-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Yall need to know this:
The old thread above ( https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...cdi-klx-37214/ ) left more questions than answers to those of us that have tuned ignitions on performance engines. I can now answer one of them - Why RayCour did not find more power with the 35° curve and even less with 40°.

His bike at time of test: Custom EFI throttle body with custom EFI mapping/fueling running lidless. Full performance exhaust system(no doubt). His bike is performance modded beyond our capabilities.

You can't get his power numbers without the above and with an AFR kept at a perfect 12.5:1@WOT.

His flame front speed is the fastest possible, faster than mine. 35° over-advanced his engine. So, his 40° test being even worse for performance, is totally expected. The Dyno proves 35° also slightly over-advances my engine and more advance (40°) looses power everywhere - just like Ray's..

Ray has no problem admitting that he is into electronics, not engine tuning. There is no reason to believe that he or his "peeps" have any magical abilities, because they make the module, to eek out the most performance with it. WE will do that - and it cannot be done with crude, flat, ignition "curves"..

Last edited by Klxster; 06-07-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

The Aussie bikes come stock with a better performance tune - they have higher power numbers from the factory. Probably similar to what we get with a de-smog, slipon, DJ kit, and a KDX snorkel. Kawasaki determined that the 35° curve was both beneficial AND conservative for the jetting/induction/exhaust they put on the Aussie KLX's. This is why I expect that it will be shown to provide noticeable increases on the above US KLX's - even though it's crude and conservative.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Watching with interest on the ignition thing. If I remember right, Richard commented about elongating the ignition pick up holes a bit to gain some advance. Been awhile, back when we were ******* each other a bit. But his comments weren't facetious, I think he fact based them.

In a side note for your comment, desmogging adds nothing and technically cooler running exhaust gasses will be slower moving. Part of the reason for exhaust wraps and ceramic coatings on seriously high performance engines. So heat is not an enemy in the exhaust pipe. It actually is planned to aid scavenging.

I will say from some quick searching the hot ticket (pun originally not intended) is to have a header ceramic coated inside and out. JetHot does it that way, not sure about others. Seriously lower external heat readings and actually quicker cool down. Found that in articles not sponsored by coaters and not in subjective forum form. Most in performance articles. So those who don't like exhaust heat, spend the money on coatings. Most articles weren't too friendly reflecting on heat wraps though.

Just sayin' desmogging does nothing other than a .5% (guess) weight reduction if lucky. It does remove a bit of clutter under the tank though. Because of the insignificance of the weight and the fact that I don't play much under the tank, I didn't bother removing it. If it hung out in the breeze ready to get ripped off by a rock in a lowside, like those on the XR650L, I'd have it off in a heartbeat.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678

Just sayin' desmogging does nothing other than a .5% (guess) weight reduction if lucky. It does remove a bit of clutter under the tank though. Because of the insignificance of the weight and the fact that I don't play much under the tank, I didn't bother removing it. If it hung out in the breeze ready to get ripped off by a rock in a lowside, like those on the XR650L, I'd have it off in a heartbeat.

I posted about a week ago about the insanely long gas tank vent tubes that are the biggest PITA when pulling the tank-- no one responded.

Whats the necessity of the tubes?? Is there not a check where it connects to the tank to prevent gas from coming out? I'd really like to take them off. They do hang below the bike as well.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

RichardAvatar did the "Bernie mod". Desmogging ends "Cherry red hot exhaust" (search keywords), is curative for decel popping, and permits a more regular/normal exhaust flow. Ceramic coatings and header wraps are also off topic, as both are attempts at exhaust tuning.

Last edited by Klxster; 06-10-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX combustion chamber is characterized as a 4 valve pent roof with centrally located spark plug. Anyone that has interest, can help me research known characteristics of this chamber design.

Last edited by Klxster; 06-09-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Klxster's CDI Ignition Curve Project