KLX351 sticker ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I started playing last night. I may have something to show in a week.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Perhaps i'm being a bit of an eager ernie here, but hows this coming along? its been a week

Old 01-23-2016, 12:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I gotan adequate template from an image of the side cover. I have an 09 so I have a different style sticker, but can work with that whole little area on the cover.

Now the problem... The font. I don't have the font to duplicate properly for the 3 and the 1. I can trace and duplicate all else. Best option for me is to come up with some good substitute fonts. I can get close, but not exact.

I can trace and match about anything, but to make a new number or letter to suit is near prohibitive due to the way the wire frame is on fonts. Where I may make a shape with a dozen nodes to work curves and straights the font figures can have hundreds, so modifying and creating is tough and time consuming. Thus the reason I prefer if I can do different fonts.

I can angle, stretch, taper, do a variety of other tricks quickly, pull some good tricks with stacking layers for effects. It's about the basic font shape to start.

If anyone knows what font that is that has the same number style let me know the name, I will look it up. The KLX S are no problem, I worked the KLX font out easy and they don't change.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay, I dove back in again for a few hours while watching westerns on MyTV...

I did the 09-14 side cover shape using the 09 graphic shape. I can do different shapes to an extent if I can see a good straight on image. Here are the results, one with lime green background and the other the striping and lettering only on white, sticker base color:

I got a little fat on the outline of the 351, will be backing it down several thou. What is printed versus what appears in Corel isn't always the same.

Neat part is I can pretty much put any text or add other graphics or text on it, if I have the graphic, to personalize it a bit. Like putting my own CCT sticker in the open space below the stripes or something like that. The big stopper would be my graphic skills and time. I could use fills though, like a camo stripe may be possible if I can get the fill. More experimentation.

Colors are switchable, I would want any color designated in RGB or CMYK numbering. I cannot be responsible for anything beyond that, considering I'm partially color blind on some red/green shades (they go gray) screwing with purples, reds, greens, browns etc.

I have no idea yet if they fit, but I expect since I did the work at 100%. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get one printed to try it out and to see what the cost may be.

Last edited by klx678; 01-23-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Looking really good! I prefer the white background, don't think the lime green would look great on a black bike...

Old 01-23-2016, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that's going to be the key - colors. I did the green just to be able to see the edges and all. The white has a black outline, which would be removed. Any thoughts on colors to suit black and to suit the blue? Also any other shape for the area?

Here is a custom one I did up for my test, figuring if it fits and I like it I will get both sides made. Just shows a bit of what could be done:

Some of the white outline is not showing, used to make the lettering pop a bit. It will show on the sticker.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Over the years the KLX has been made in green, black, red and blue. Green and red have white side covers, black has black side covers (and some later years of green do too). I don't know what color side covers the blue had.

I think the first design above in red, black and white would look great on either white or black side covers, so it works for green, black and red bikes. Maybe a thin black outline on the white section at the bottom to make it pop on a white cover.

I've don't really have any input on what would look good with blue...

Old 01-24-2016, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice Mark. When these go into production, sign me up for a set "KLX331S"

Old 01-24-2016, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

The blue could work with red and white panels.

I do like the idea of using the space below the stripe for something to personalize the whole deal. Of course I'd recommend a Krieger Cam Chain Tensioner sticker...

For the bikes using the white side panels the scallop can remain real pointed. when another is done I'm going to have to see what can be done since that point may need support. The OEM sticker actually has an additional border of white along part of the sticker and extends down to a rounded tip about 2-3mm radius at that point. I am not sure if there is a way

On the blue bike and others with colored number plates the trick will be to eliminate the scallop and go to a pair of stripes.

Since the pattern is done the stuff like stripes and color can be relatively easy if simple. Adding good print ready graphics no problem, but it has to be high quality. Heck, I could put your smiling mug on there! That's the beauty of the printed graphic versus die cut. Now if it is just affordable.

Or you can go off the deep end:

Old 01-28-2016, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I got with my sign/sticker maker. I am going to tell you my actual cost. If I do a one-off design in color, shape or text - aka anything that makes it a new job for him - it will run $35.00 for a set. If I have three orders for a given design/color set the set it would run $17.50 for the set. I think I'm actually getting a break on the set up due to the volume I do with him in my cam chain tensioner sideline.

Obviously there would be shipping costs for the kit and I've not added dime one for my work at this point. So if I use priority in the U.S. that adds $7.05, but has insurance up to $50, which I like. One-off = $42.05, part of an order of 3 or more if organized = $24.05. Not too bad in my opinion.

What I will offer - if we can get three for a single design, great I will ask the actual cost whether we get three or if they're all one-off. Any tips will be appreciated, but not required. The key will be payment up front before doing the work. I would say post here if interested and PM me so I can keep track. That way people can see if we're getting the three to do the package.

Any thoughts?

Mine would be to do the OEM look red/black/white as the design to try to get three or more on board since I think it was relatively common. I would prefer to not do the black outline because it would force the issue of fit precision where the standard set up would allow for a bit of error. The entire sticker would be one piece with a cut out for the seat bolt hole, covering the side as shown in the above prints.

It would also be a bit easier installation and possibly cheaper if I only do the stripe area with a small white outline on it to allow a radius tip on the sticker - no point to catch and peel, same as the way it is done by the factory. The sticker would become two pieces like the OEM one. I will look into that after I lay it out.

One-off I'll do whatever is possible to an extent, having about 10 hours work time in so far. Of course I can post a one-off if someone wants to see if we can get the three orders too. If any design gets three orders the price is half.

For those who may wonder, if that art work done so far was done by a sign/sticker shop I believe you'd be looking at a few hundred dollars due to the time invested. My advantage is I have the graphics software they use for their work and I have the skills to do graphics to a point. Remember these are multi-color print just like the stickers any of you have gotten when you've bought the tensioner I make. Same thing, 3M vinyl for the print and 3M clear cover vinyl for protection. Pretty much the best possible. I've had my stickers in the back windows of my trucks for 3-4 years without any fade or peeling.

I plan to look at the radiator shroud and front headlight nacelle above the headlight.

Last edited by klx678; 01-28-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: KLX351 sticker ?