Is the klx250sf Supermoto really that slow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Default Is the klx250sf Supermoto really that slow?

Hi, Ive put 100 down on a klx250sf (2009) but ive been reading online like supermotojunkie forum and all over the internet that its way too underpowered. Some people say its underpowered and a few people said its ok its just 'over restricted' with that pea shooter exaust. Is the klx250sf too slow to clutch a wheelie in 3rd gear? Im kind of regretting my decision now. I might back out of the deal. what do you guys think? Thanks

Old 02-19-2015, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think that you're going to find any dual-sport 250 that is going to do a power wheelie in 3rd gear. You are really going to need more displacement to get that kind of torque to loft the front end at speed. The KLX has potential but in stock form it's pretty tame compared to riding any sport bike.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Why do you want to pull a wheelie in 3rd gear?

Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

My klx351 makes 30 horsepower and will clutch up 3rd gear with 1 down on the front sprocket.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

The KLX250sf in my view is not going to be the "hooligan supermoto bike" that you are going to end up posting cool race track level YouTube videos.

The KLX250sf is not a power wheelie bike if that is what you are looking for in a bike.

I own one and it is a fun get around town bike in its stock form. It will keep up with traffic with no problem in and around town from traffic light to traffic light.

It is the most fun I have had on the bikes that I have owned over the years (VF500F Interceptor, my first RZ350, YSR50, RD400, my second RZ350 GS500, NT650) but it is not big on power in its stock form. It is a blast to buzz around town where the speed limit is under 50mph but if you want to hit the highway and try to hang with 70mph plus traffic find another bike or add a big bore kit and the related mods to a KLX250.

If you are not looking to do highway stuff and sticking to the city then you can change the gearing on the bike so you will have more pull off the line and lift the front wheel if needed.

I ended up installing a big bore kit on my KLX and now it is a 340 and that made it even a more fun bike to ride and now 70MPH plus highway traffic is not an issue.

If you notice that that three out of the four people that have responded to your post so far have done a big-bore kit on their bike. That could be a sign.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll echo what most others have said, if you're looking for wild power the klx aint it. in fact none of the off the shelf japanese bike would fit in that catagory.

The sumos you see in all the cool youtube vids or on tv are either converted motorcross bikes, or bikes like the KTM 690 or the Aprilia SXV both of which are essentially race bikes with plates. Be prepared to dish out some moeny maintaining those bikes however.

Supermoto is my favorite type of bike and its a shame none of the big 4 make a well tuned 450 street supermoto. You really have your choice of either the light KLX and modding it up to around 30-33hp or the fat DRZ-400 and trying to put it on a diet and modding it up to ~45hp.

I would love to have a "real" sumo, but since funds are limited i have the klx that i'm slowing modding over time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Supermoto guys are like sport bike guys - high horsepower is king. No 250 will appeal to them, they want the wheelie power. BUT the fact is there is nothing like a small light bike and a tight twisty road to both have fun and learn. You learn to use the revs and maintain momentum for speed in corners that you don't learn on the big bikes.

Most all racers in any form of motorcycle racing started small, including Rossi running 125 and 250 before the big bikes and Ward running minis up to 500 two strokes long before doing SM with Troy Lee. Rossi used to yank up his 125 and ride a long wheelie - it sure wasn't a power wheelie.

If you're looking for max power to min maintenance ratio the DRz400 SM is the ticket. Ignore the beef about the gear box and rpm at speed, they can do it easy with no problems. My friend and main back road riding compatriot rides one and has never complained, the bike has had no issues over about 10 years playing.

I think the 250 could be fun and allow growth in power with the carb and big bore options though. That would definitely be true if you have a regular street bike and the 250 is a second bike to jack around town and the back country.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tkm433
If you notice that that three out of the four people that have responded to your post so far have done a big-bore kit on their bike. That could be a sign.
Make that 4 of 4 of the initial posters.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Supermoto guys are like sport bike guys - high horsepower is king. No 250 will appeal to them, they want the wheelie power. BUT the fact is there is nothing like a small light bike and a tight twisty road to both have fun and learn. You learn to use the revs and maintain momentum for speed in corners that you don't learn on the big bikes.
Ain't that the truth. My buddies always would give me **** for riding a hopped up 250 when riding stop light to stop light full throttle. Funny how once we hit the corners I end up in front....rider is everything!!!

Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I would think if you wanted a 250SM the Yamaha WR250X would be a better fit.

Quick Reply: Is the klx250sf Supermoto really that slow?