KLX250SF Front Brake Assy on a KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default KLX250SF Front Brake Assy on a KLX250S

Just wondering if anyone has done this as the SF has a larger diameter disc due to the smaller wheel size.

Looking at a parts list the following items are different -

Rotor - It looks like the SF has a two piece item without a damper; is also thicker on SF.
Caliper & mounting bracket - Caliper is also black on the SF
Piston, seals & pads

It appears both discs bolt up to the hub with four M8x15 bolts but are the spigot size & pitch circle diameter of the bolt pattern the same on both?

Any thoughts on whether this would be a worthwhile upgrade or if there are alternatives available to improve braking?

Last edited by klx4me; 04-22-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Better explanation/reason
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

^ I have edited text with a better explanation for the mod

Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

For what purpose?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Get a braided stainless steel brake hose and you're good to stop. Bill Blue, who does the 351 kits sells them. Or try Galfer.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Get a braided stainless steel brake hose and you're good to stop. Bill Blue, who does the 351 kits sells them. Or try Galfer.
+1

I think upgrading the brake line and brake pads would produce better results than simply swapping the disc and caliper for the SF stock.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Old thread dredging again - I'm looking to Sumo the KLX and race, it would seem going with the larger SF rotor would give better front braking... wouldn't that be the obvious purpose of the upgrade? That's why Kawi did this on the SF version after all, right?

I'm buying new rotors either way, wouldn't it make sense for street to get the bigger setup? (fwiw, I came across this thread looking for the SF bracket part number)

Old 04-21-2015, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmmbeefy
Old thread dredging again - I'm looking to Sumo the KLX and race, it would seem going with the larger SF rotor would give better front braking... wouldn't that be the obvious purpose of the upgrade? That's why Kawi did this on the SF version after all, right?

I'm buying new rotors either way, wouldn't it make sense for street to get the bigger setup? (fwiw, I came across this thread looking for the SF bracket part number)
Yes, that is why they do the larger rotor, stronger braking due to increased leverage from the larger diameter of the swept area. It is even stronger when on the 17" rim set up - leverage again.

Honestly with the KLX250SF in stock form it is more for looks though.

Remember, you need the different carrier unit, I'm betting the caliper is same as the S model except color. They ain't cheap, but if you want the big brake it's worth it. My 650 runs a similar 300mm rotor and it stops really strong even with about 75 lb more weight. I'd love to do one on my 250, have the rotor, but not the carrier. Got it when I got an extra set of hubs for the 650 to make some SM wheels - wanted the road tires and the look when not running dirt/gravel/single track. Then I got the 250.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I swapped my front rotor with the 300mm unit from the SF. You will need the caliper bracket to line everything up. My braided line fits fine with the larger rotor. I did it to allow single finger braking off road and it does that just fine. I haven't had any issues with the larger rotor smacking any obstacles-it's only 1" larger when measured radially compared to the stocker.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Like I said, same as the KLX650C - 300mm rotor.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx4me
Just wondering if anyone has done this as the SF has a larger diameter disc due to the smaller wheel size.

Looking at a parts list the following items are different -

Rotor - It looks like the SF has a two piece item without a damper; is also thicker on SF.
Caliper & mounting bracket - Caliper is also black on the SF
Piston, seals & pads

It appears both discs bolt up to the hub with four M8x15 bolts but are the spigot size & pitch circle diameter of the bolt pattern the same on both?

Any thoughts on whether this would be a worthwhile upgrade or if there are alternatives available to improve braking?
This is how it looks with the larger rotor. Easy job, just swap out the mounting for the caliper and rotor with SF parts. I installed a set of Spiegler Stainless braided lines as well. Now the little grasshopper stops faster than it goes.

Attached Thumbnails KLX250SF Front Brake Assy on a KLX250S-front-roter.jpg   KLX250SF Front Brake Assy on a KLX250S-grasshopper-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: KLX250SF Front Brake Assy on a KLX250S